Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 PM

199 posts, read 215,990 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for responses. We live in Oregon and it rains ALL THE TIME. Is this a good thing since rain might wash off some residues?

We are not planning on becoming organic certified or sell anything we grow; anything we grow will be consumed by me and my family exclusively.

By the way I do understand that the farmer came there first and by no means am I trying to stop him from doing what he's doing. I'm just trying to do my part to minimize it from spreading to my side without interrupting what he does for a living.

It turns out that there is a small wetland area between our land and his land and that kind of acts like a buffer zone since you are not allowed to do much with wetlands here in Oregon (or anywhere for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:59 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times
Only if you live uphill and upwind of your spraying neighbors.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 AM

18,503 posts, read 18,648,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I sprayed a corn field for a neighbor that lived on the outskirts of a very small town.

His neighbor had a vegetable garden right next to that cornfield.

I was warned by both parties to be careful.

Every row of his cornfield got sprayed with no damage whatsoever to the vegetable garden.

Paranoia can really take a toll on some people !
What though of the human dangers and its not paranoia... its serious health concerns.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:32 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
Thanks everyone for responses. We live in Oregon and it rains ALL THE TIME. Is this a good thing since rain might wash off some residues?

We are not planning on becoming organic certified or sell anything we grow; anything we grow will be consumed by me and my family exclusively.

By the way I do understand that the farmer came there first and by no means am I trying to stop him from doing what he's doing. I'm just trying to do my part to minimize it from spreading to my side without interrupting what he does for a living.

It turns out that there is a small wetland area between our land and his land and that kind of acts like a buffer zone since you are not allowed to do much with wetlands here in Oregon (or anywhere for that matter).
It doesn't rain in the summer, which is when you will be getting fruit. However, pesticides are not the only toxic thing on fruit. Birds leave salmonella deposits in their poop, which can be quite dangerous. Before I press cider, I always float the apples in a clorox sanitizing bath. It's the only safe way to drink raw cider. Apples for pies get peeled, which removes any surface contamination. If you are eating a whole apple, just wash it. BTW, you will need to deal with your own chemicals, like dormant sprays, to keep the trees and fruit healthy. Good orchard sanitation will reduce the number of worms in the apples, since the moth doesn't fly well and just pupates in the ground under the tree. Orchardists typically remove all fallen fruit, treat the grass with roundup or cultivate to bare dirt, and spread diazinon or something similar to control insects.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:23 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
I would only get overly concerned if he sprays heavily when the wind is blowing. Don't let this develop into a huge issue. Enjoy your fruit trees and your fruit when your trees start to bare fruit. Most of us spend way to much time with matters we can not control. You certainly do not expect him to not spray just because you are concerned do you? Of course you don't.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:49 PM

7,461 posts, read 7,088,441 times
Well, you know that Wall will never get built...brilliant idea isn't who thought that made any sense.

Check out Gordon's 652400 Lawn Weed Killer, Speed Zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
I'm about to buy a house with some land and I hope to grow some fruit trees there. The house is right next to a hay farm that the owner & operator sprays with pesticides. Can I do something so that it doesn't spread to my part of the land, such as building a wall (and making Mexico pay for it - just kiddin') or fence from a particular material that might keep stuff from spreading?

Old 03-23-2017, 12:22 AM

13,032 posts, read 7,430,344 times
We live in Salem.
Most fruits will need some sprays. A few fruits you can get away without a lot of sprays.
I kinda ignore the stone fruit fly maggot. But do get concern with Apple scab and Apple maggots.
I take it you have never grown fruit.
I never use the organic neo-nicotoids, I don't want to be called a bee killer.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:32 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,514,608 times
My nephew worked on a big "organic" farm. Often times the neighboring farms had their crops sprayed, the wind carried the pesticides over to the organic farm.

So guess what? Organic isn't always organic.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:46 AM

352 posts, read 385,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
My nephew worked on a big "organic" farm. Often times the neighboring farms had their crops sprayed, the wind carried the pesticides over to the organic farm.

So guess what? Organic isn't always organic.
Same thing with "GMO free" and neighbor is growing GMO and you are not. Pollen from similar varieties/species in bloom at the same time time can migrate between plots via wind and/or insect pollinators. I wouldn't worry about it since it is out of your control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden