Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:34 AM

4,168 posts, read 3,358,243 times

Advertisements

Nickman, the Jalapenos were so hot we could smell the heat from a foot away. So much for cooler peppers in cooler climates.

The weird thing is, every tenth pepper or so had virtually no heat.

I like the flavor of jalas, plus their thick-walled construction for stuffing and barbecuing. Hoping to find 'Coolapenos' later. Apart from lettuce, carrot and radish (and I'm not sure what variety these were), we deal strictly with seedlings, so it depends what we can find locally. Last year I wanted Patio tomatoes, but nope. No Black Krim, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,684,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Nickman, the Jalapenos were so hot we could smell the heat from a foot away. So much for cooler peppers in cooler climates.

The weird thing is, every tenth pepper or so had virtually no heat.

I like the flavor of jalas, plus their thick-walled construction for stuffing and barbecuing. Hoping to find 'Coolapenos' later. Apart from lettuce, carrot and radish (and I'm not sure what variety these were), we deal strictly with seedlings, so it depends what we can find locally. Last year I wanted Patio tomatoes, but nope. No Black Krim, either.
Interesting regarding your jalapenos. Usually it's the Shi$hito (C-D always censors it because it thinks I'm cussing - LoL) pepper that has those characteristics. It's known as the "Russian Roulette" of peppers because most of them are sweet with every tenth pepper or so giving a little kick. Even then they aren't very hot, but they're still fun. They are EXTREMELY popular as an appetizer in Japan.

If you grew from seed there are quite a few heatless varieties out there, but I see Bonnie does carry the 'Coolapeno' you mention. I've never seen them here, but then I only ever really look at herb seedlings at the store since I seem to sometimes have difficulty growing mine from seed for some reason. Once in a while I peruse, but there are rarely new things from year to year. I guess they know what people normally buy, so that's what's always there.

I do agree about poppers - YUM. They're also great dehydrated and ground to powder or flake for use in pasta sauce or on pizza. SO worth it and it's kind of fun to tell people you have jalapeno powder.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:14 PM

656 posts, read 1,201,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
CHEERS!
What plant food you use after germination ? Someone suggested Humic acid. Any other options for a good healthy plants like you have ?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
What plant food you use after germination ? Someone suggested Humic acid. Any other options for a good healthy plants like you have ?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hi Nc - I don't fertilize at all during the seedling stage. I just use MG Moisture Control potting mix once I move them up from their little 6-cell packs into the 3" pots. It has small amounts of granular ferts in it and I assume that's enough.. I've never had to supplement further. I don't get into much experimenting with organic, non-organic, etc. - I just use what has worked for me for years and that's that.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 PM

83,278 posts, read 74,492,361 times
Nick... any update on the snow or ice storm tomorrow there?? Are u leafed out? Plants inside?

//www.city-data.com/forum/47987356-post2890.html

Old 04-29-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nick... any update on the snow or ice storm tomorrow there?? Are u leafed out? Plants inside?

//www.city-data.com/forum/47987356-post2890.html
Hey Cam! It has been snowing since about 5:00pm yesterday (04/28/17), but very little accumulation at my house due to the recent warm weather. We have about 3" on grassy surfaces, but nothing on the pavement at all. It's about 36F out right now (I am typing this at 2:30pm) with lows tonight predicted to be in the low-mid 20s. BRRR!! I actually really love spring snow storms because the moisture seems to do everything some good once the warmth returns.. much more so than rain. I think the slowly melting snow gives everything time to soak it all in, rather than heavy rain that tends to run off quickly. Of course, I neglected to get good nutrients down in the yard before the snow came, but we're supposed to get more rain in a few days, so I'll get to it. Our springs tend to be pretty wet, so I'm not overly concerned. Area to the south and west of Denver have received well in excess of a foot of snow, but probably not all on the ground at one time because of the aforementioned warmth and compaction due to the wet nature of spring snow. And yes, many trees are fully leafed, which is unusual for us this time of year - we are not usually fully leafed until mid-late May. We haven't received enough snow in my area to have an impact, but I am sure other areas have had issues with broken branches and random power outages. Haven't heard much - we've had MUCH bigger spring storms in seasons past and it's not unusual for us to receive our last snowfall in May. I did not bring anything inside, but did cover newly planted containers with my little greenhouse cloches to prevent the soil from getting *too* cold. I don't want to have to re-seed if I have a chance of avoiding it. The mature lettuces can withstand the snow and cold fine, so I did not cover them at all. They appear to be loving it.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the low 50s, so my hope is to get out and over-seed the backyard at the very least. The rest of next week is supposed to be rather unsettled through Thursday, then a very nice drying and warming trend next weekend with highs once again approaching 80F.

I will do a more in-depth update of my current garden set-up in the next week. I have done a ton of work and am looking forward to sharing.

Hope all is well!

Old 04-29-2017, 05:30 PM

Snow? It's like 85° here.

Even though we only buy nursery seedlings, and they didn't have Cubanelles, we were really happy to find Coolapenos! And to try a couple of new pepper varieties, the names of which escape me now.

Came home with a Better Bush tomato, too. I only went looking for parsley and chives.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:18 PM

83,278 posts, read 74,492,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Hey Cam! It has been snowing since about 5:00pm yesterday (04/28/17), but very little accumulation at my house due to the recent warm weather. We have about 3" on grassy surfaces, but nothing on the pavement at all. It's about 36F out right now (I am typing this at 2:30pm) with lows tonight predicted to be in the low-mid 20s. BRRR!! I actually really love spring snow storms because the moisture seems to do everything some good once the warmth returns.. much more so than rain. I think the slowly melting snow gives everything time to soak it all in, rather than heavy rain that tends to run off quickly. Of course, I neglected to get good nutrients down in the yard before the snow came, but we're supposed to get more rain in a few days, so I'll get to it. Our springs tend to be pretty wet, so I'm not overly concerned. Area to the south and west of Denver have received well in excess of a foot of snow, but probably not all on the ground at one time because of the aforementioned warmth and compaction due to the wet nature of spring snow. And yes, many trees are fully leafed, which is unusual for us this time of year - we are not usually fully leafed until mid-late May. We haven't received enough snow in my area to have an impact, but I am sure other areas have had issues with broken branches and random power outages. Haven't heard much - we've had MUCH bigger spring storms in seasons past and it's not unusual for us to receive our last snowfall in May. I did not bring anything inside, but did cover newly planted containers with my little greenhouse cloches to prevent the soil from getting *too* cold. I don't want to have to re-seed if I have a chance of avoiding it. The mature lettuces can withstand the snow and cold fine, so I did not cover them at all. They appear to be loving it.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the low 50s, so my hope is to get out and over-seed the backyard at the very least. The rest of next week is supposed to be rather unsettled through Thursday, then a very nice drying and warming trend next weekend with highs once again approaching 80F.

I will do a more in-depth update of my current garden set-up in the next week. I have done a ton of work and am looking forward to sharing.

Hope all is well!

Wow, that's nuts. 3" is more than enough this time of year. It should be 3" of rain. lol. Interesting the lettuce can withstand snow. I think last year you had this happen too? Hope there isn't too much damage or power outages. I know how wet snow can be like! I'm watching the maps and seeing the snowstorm in Progress still but looks like Denver and Burbs lightened up and clearing now at this moment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Snow? It's like 85° here.

Yup, Hit 85° here as well, hard to imagine what snow is like this time of year. Check this out. Then check this out and tell me what catches your eye first.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:36 PM

Eep.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's nuts. 3" is more than enough this time of year. It should be 3" of rain. lol. Interesting the lettuce can withstand snow. I think last year you had this happen too? Hope there isn't too much damage or power outages. I know how wet snow can be like! I'm watching the maps and seeing the snowstorm in Progress still but looks like Denver and Burbs lightened up and clearing now at this moment..
Yeah, the lettuce does fantastic in cold weather. We dropped to 21F at our house this morning and everything fared just fine. The lettuces were covered in ice, but have since thawed now that it's actually closer to 60F. You'd think for being so *delicate* that they'd get trashed by the temp changes, but they don't at all. They are one of the toughest when it comes to cold. I had my newly planted containers under the cloches and they did just fine as well. I had containers with radishes, carrots, beets, turnips, Swiss chard and kale under there last night, but have since removed it so they don't cook in today's gorgeous sunshine. Turnips, beets and radishes are already germinating, but the carrots, Swiss chard and kale are not just yet.

I don't think there was too much damage around the area - we're so used to spring snowstorms around here that most people get out and knock the snow off the trees before they get too bogged down.

Quote:
Yup, Hit 85° here as well, hard to imagine what snow is like this time of year. Check this out. Then check this out and tell me what catches your eye first.
Quite a complex system of storms across the country yesterday and today with blizzards in western KS and severe weather over the midwest. The entire spinning nature of the system caught my eye - almost the entire eastern two-thirds of the country is getting something.

I am jealous of you guys getting 80F temperatures - I want them back. Hopefully in the coming week or so we can get back into some warmer weather. I am so ready for consistently warm temperatures and summertime!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden