Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:29 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience overwintering chrysanthemums in pots? I planted quite a few chrysanthemum cuttings last spring. (Got 'em from King's Mums.) Some I planted in the ground and some I potted (all after I let the cuttings get bigger and stronger). All did well and I have been so happy to have so many beautiful mums this fall. Some are still blooming like crazy, making for my "happy spot".

The problem is that I have a bunch of mums in 8" pots now. There are gorgeous ones that I would really like to have next year, without having to re-buy them. I have heard that it isn't wise to plant them in the fall -- especially late fall -- because they won't establish good roots. Additionally, my back and knees will not permit me to plant a bunch all at the same time. (Gettin' old stinks!)

So, here is my question: can I put the pots in the garage or shed (both unheated; shed gets colder, though) until next spring, when I can plant them? If so, do I need to cut them back first? And how often would you water them?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Zone 7b in NJ, BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:04 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Your mums should be okay in pots if you water them occasionally. Where will they get the most light? I'm in zone 8 and ours winter over just fine with a little protection from the coldest weather. That means they should do fine outside in a covered cold frame.

If you must, keep a handful of your favorites in your garage in case it gets super cold.

BTW, the Internet says to leave them outside in a protected location and cover them with pine boughs or other loose mulch.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:32 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
I have had mixed success wintering in the basement in 7b, this year I'm trying a sheltered area of the now dormant vegetable garden, 1/2 in pots, 1/2 direct in ground to see which works best....I will mound lightly with leaves.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I'll try something and then report back next spring how it went! At this point, I have little to lose by trying something; otherwise, I suspect the potted ones will die anyway.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Ours are in a pot under the front porch, in the 3rd year. I just leave it where it is, and it's managed to survive down to 17F last winter (8B). When it gets down to 20 or so (as it's suppose to next week) I'll mulch it, but mine is still in full bloom now.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:36 AM

Thanks, Hemlock140. A bunch of mine are still blooming, too. I am going to try an experiment in the next couple weeks and see which method works the best to keep them alive and healthy. I'll report back next spring.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,009 times
LoriNJ, we had out door mums of different types in lower Bucks PA, the littlest bit of shelter was usually good enough for overwintering. Adding a makeshift coldframe would be really good. -5bbill

Old 12-11-2016, 07:19 AM

Thanks, 5bbill. I am trying a couple of different methods and will see which works best. The easiest one was to pop a couple pots inside my basement window wells, which are covered with plastic window well "bubbles". I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:20 PM

I lost about half my potted chrysanthemums over the winter. I had a bunch in a little low a-frame greenhouse that I got from the Greenhouse Megastore, and I had a couple in my basement window well, with a plastic bubble. The ones in the window well consistently did better than the ones in the a-frame (looked green and healthy), right up until it got warm and I forgot to water them or take them out of the window well. Then they died. My fault. I tried watering them for weeks and weeks, but nothing grew from them again.

But I did get a bunch (about 10) that survived the winter and they have been planted in permanent beds. And I got 8 more cuttings from Kings (can't help myself!) that are doing very well and are also in permanent beds. I am happy to report that many of the chrysanthemums have tons of buds on them. I can't wait until fall to see them when they are literally the only colorful thing left in my garden.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:08 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
The potted ones I heeled in last fall did OK, maybe 75% survival...they sure don't look like store bought fall mums, but I'm hopeful they will show some color...they are now in a permanent spot. I did divide some and have lots of small starts to place somewhere.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden