Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 02:44 PM

23 posts, read 44,820 times

Advertisements

So this weekend I transplanted a crepe myrtle, approx 10' to another area of the yard. The builder stuck it right in the middle of the yard, so annoying...

Anyway, its a 3 truck baby with probably 3/4" trunks if I had to guess. 2 of the trunks cross over about 3' up. Is there a way I can stake it and pull them apart in hopes it holds down the road or is it just a lost cause and I should let it go? I got a solid root ball so I believe it will make it no problem, just don't want it looking like crap as it matures.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 06:13 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I have read that crepe myrtles have difficulty being transplanted, so I would concentrate on getting the roots to 'take' in the new location before messing with the structure too much. When you say the branches cross over, do you mean they rub? If they do not rub, just leave them alone. If they rub, eventually one of the two will need to go. Just not now.

I am glad you decided to correct this design error before the plants got too big. Even if this guy doesn't make it you will still have the opportunity to do something more appealing than a tree in the middle of the yard.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:08 AM

I have read the opposite that Crepe Myrtles are very hearty and transplant well unless you try and do it the middle of the summer.

My only issue is its one of the main 3 trunks that are crossing, not just a branch. About 3' over it starts to cross and about mid way up it splits through the other two trunks and pops out the opposite side. I got most of the root ball as it was only in the ground for a year so it should be good or at least I hope. I'm just not wild about the aesthetics of the trees 3 mains and how they look. I'll try and get a picture this evening since its hard to envision what is going on through text.

I am in Fort Mill, SC FYI, basically Charlotte.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
mstrength,
I would cut the branch you want to, and leave the other branch to grow out.
I know what you are talking about, the tree will also branch out at the bottom with more trunks, so it you wanted you could allow them to branch and see if you want to use one of them. They grow so fast it really won't take that long to decide what you want to do with it.
When I first got mine, 8 years ago, I read a great online article about pruning crape myrtles for form. Check it out when you get a chance. It helps with how to cut them without injuring them.
My tree is 30 feet tall now, I never fertilized it, it gets what my lawn gets.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
mstrength,
I would cut the branch you want to, and leave the other branch to grow out.
I know what you are talking about, the tree will also branch out at the bottom with more trunks, so it you wanted you could allow them to branch and see if you want to use one of them. They grow so fast it really won't take that long to decide what you want to do with it.
When I first got mine, 8 years ago, I read a great online article about pruning crape myrtles for form. Check it out when you get a chance. It helps with how to cut them without injuring them.
My tree is 30 feet tall now, I never fertilized it, it gets what my lawn gets.
Yea our old home we had 3 that were 30+ feet. Pruning them the right way was no fun as I got gouged more than I'd like to remember. Never crepe "murdered" them. I thought about cutting the crossing over trunk but I was afraid it would look odd with only 2 and then the stray would never catch up coming out of the ground causing it to look off and out of balance.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:46 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Generally speaking, crossed branches/trunks, touching branches are frowned upon, as they tend to create areas for bugs/fungus to hide. You'll never see a crossed or touching branch in a commercial fruit orchard. That said, I've seen many crepe myrtles with branches touching, with no obvious ill effect.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-04-2017, 05:38 AM

Just an update, the tree was moved and is doing fine after 2 full weeks and seems rock solid in the ground as well. Luckily temps this time of year have been mild and we got a slew of rain since moving it so I'm sure that's helped. Landscape is going to stake out the branches and see if we can train them as well since it bugs the crap out of me haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden