Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the Best Way to Handle Watering While on Vacation?
Get the garden ready and plant them in the ground, then setup a water timer. 2 40.00%
Bring them down to the neighbors and let them water daily for me. 2 40.00%
Other Options, enter your response in reply 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:14 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times

Advertisements

My seedlings are basically small plants for the most part and I have swapped many to 4" containers. My question is how can I handle watering while I am away? My options are provided in this poll I'm in zone 6a and the dates will be in the first week of May.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
How long are you gonna be away?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:44 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Ask a fellow gardener to come in and water for you. Decrease the brightness of the light to discourage drying out. Offer to do the same for your gardening friend. If you don't know anyone to ask, show a neighbor exactly how to take care of them.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
You can buy a timer for $30, and some 1/4" drip tubing and sprinklers for another $20. I have two timers for different areas and can leave for weeks and return to healthy plants. The timer I use allows for multiple watering each day, for whatever length of time you want.

Melnor AquaTimer Electronic Water Timer | Smarthome

Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
My assumption is they are still to young to transplant to the ground, even by the first week of May. In total its 5 days I'd be gone. My bil has a hose timer I could hookup and set this all up on the deck, would it be ok to leave them out overnight at that point? I guess I could rigup some kind of screen to protect them if necessary.

I also have a friend nearby who is an avid gardener who would be more than willing to help keep my plants healthy.

I could set this up along the deck railing, what concerns of animals would I need to worry about though? Maybe in the fenced in garden would be better.
https://www.amazon.com/Irrigation-Pa...rigation&psc=1

Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
bought one of these last year just to try it out and while the compressed media "pucks" were kind of a joke due to incomplete filling out, the actual watering system worked quite well and would easily last a week or more, though I had mine inside and outside may dry out faster due to wind and sun.

Kit comes with a bottom baffle that lifts the cells off the bottom of the tray and the cells sit on a permeable mat that wicks up the water in the bottom of the tray just enough to keep the growing medium moist. If one could find the media of the wicking mat, you could set up a tray for probably a dollar or less.

Cost $10 but I've seen them on sale for half that amount.

Ultimate Growing System- Grow bigger and better seedlings with grow kits at Burpee.com

Old 04-18-2017, 01:11 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
You can do a DIY drip by punch a hole in a ziploc bag with a needle and put in a thread. It should last about 1 week. You may have to movie it indoor to decrease evaporation.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:25 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
How about making a tent for them?

I would put a stick in the container, and then drape the stick with cling wrap. (Water the plant before putting the cling wrap on.)

It'll be like a mini hothouse/greenhouse for each plant.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:27 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Don't drape the stick...drape the plastic over the stick, also covering the container. The stick will help make a 'tent' of the container. It'd be like a hothouse/greenhouse.

Hopefully that is a more helpful description.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
My assumption is they are still to young to transplant to the ground, even by the first week of May. In total its 5 days I'd be gone. My bil has a hose timer I could hookup and set this all up on the deck, would it be ok to leave them out overnight at that point? I guess I could rigup some kind of screen to protect them if necessary.

I also have a friend nearby who is an avid gardener who would be more than willing to help keep my plants healthy.

I could set this up along the deck railing, what concerns of animals would I need to worry about though? Maybe in the fenced in garden would be better.
https://www.amazon.com/Irrigation-Pa...rigation&psc=1
Seedlings can be uprooted and eaten by rabbits, squirrels, rats, mice, crows, raccoons, and of course may be eaten by deer. Cats may use it for their toilet. If you have any of those in your area, I would recommend making a big "tent" of 1/2" wire screen (rabbit wire).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden