Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times

Advertisements

Just moved to sunny FL, but am in a 1st floor, cool flat that gets no direct sunlight. That's wonderful for a change & I'm sure I'll be overjoyed when the summer heat & humidity hits & my electric bill is low, but I have 4 tiny pots I'd like to grow something in that's easy for a black thumb plant killer like me.

I suppose herbs would be the easiest, but I'm overrun with bulk herbs. I don't eat sprouts, another thing I heard was easy to grow. So those are scratched off the list.

My terra cotta pots are about 6" high & 4" in diameter. I don't want to buy anything larger as I'll be moving again in 8-mos. Is it possible to grow any kind of veggie plant in a pot that small? Scallions? Tomato plant?

If not, I'll just use them for makeup brushes or cotton balls, etc.

Thank you.
Signed, Black thumb in Boca

ETA: I have only 1 windowsill. But, I do have a long, screened in deck, so I could leave a plant outdoors, should it be better to grow it in humid air. However, that deck is the back of the bldg & never gets any direct sunlight either. Should anyone wonder, no, there is no outdoor garden space for me to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 12:50 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,428 times
Any type of herbs and veg need a lot of sunlight. Even chives and parsley!

You could consider Coleus. It's a very colorful indoor or summer outdoor plant with vibrant leaves. The flowers are insignificant and are usually removed to keep the plant stronger. The sheer variety colors is amazing.. look them up and see what you think.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Any type of herbs and veg need a lot of sunlight. Even chives and parsley!

You could consider Coleus. It's a very colorful indoor or summer outdoor plant with vibrant leaves. The flowers are insignificant and are usually removed to keep the plant stronger. The sheer variety colors is amazing.. look them up and see what you think.
Thank you, Vectoris. They're gorgeous!

I mentioned moving in 8-mos as I won't have room to take a plant with me, that's why I was looking for something edible. I hate to nurture & grow something so pretty, then have to leave it behind... I'd feel like I'm leaving a kitty behind.

But, I will keep it for future reference. Love them!

ETA: I reread your post... so, I guess I'd need to just use it for an inside container. Too bad that nothing edible grows in indirect sunlight, but maybe some other time. Thank you again!

Old 05-08-2017, 01:26 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Thank you, Vectoris. They're gorgeous!

I mentioned moving in 8-mos as I won't have room to take a plant with me, that's why I was looking for something edible. I hate to nurture & grow something so pretty, then have to leave it behind... I'd feel like I'm leaving a kitty behind.

But, I will keep it for future reference. Love them!

ETA: I reread your post... so, I guess I'd need to just use it for an inside container. Too bad that nothing edible grows in indirect sunlight, but maybe some other time. Thank you again!
LOL. Grow them, enjoy them, and then before you move, give them away - they're cheap and you will have had all that pleasure for almost a year

Old 05-08-2017, 01:46 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Maybe lettuce? Normally it prefers cooler temperatures, but I wonder what it would do in the shade? Here is an article that tells you how to grow lettuce in warm conditions.

Growing Lettuce and How to Grow Lettuce in Hot Weather

Old 05-09-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Maybe lettuce? Normally it prefers cooler temperatures, but I wonder what it would do in the shade? Here is an article that tells you how to grow lettuce in warm conditions.
Thanks, luv, but it says it could withstand some shade. I have only shade.

My kitchen windowsill doesn't have any warmth, as there's no direct sunlight & being in FL, my a/c is already going all the time, so it's chilly inside.

The back deck has no sunlight at all, as well, but it is screened so the heat & humidity will reach plants. But... my pots are those tiny pint sized pots. I can't imagine I'd get more than 2 bites of lettuce per pot, so it's probably not worth it. I had visions of an 8" tomato plant standing upright in my little pot, but I guess those are only pics I've seen in decorating books & probably not realistic, just styled for the photo.

I guess I'll just use them decoratively & perhaps the next place will give me the opportunity to have a small garden. I don't want to put in work to grow plants, which I've never done successfully, then have to leave them behind. And, our landscaping is so lush here, I just don't see anyone with indoor plants. Maybe I'll just have to enjoy the outdoor flowers & palm trees.

Thank you, All!

Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Even though cyclamen says it needs bright light, it doesn't. I have a couple in shaded windows that bloom regularly with proper light fertilizing. Aloe is tolerant and can grow in brutal sun or complete shade. Coleous and many of the vining plants like ivy are good candidates. Orchids can work as well, although for them to set blooms might require some help.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Even though cyclamen says it needs bright light, it doesn't. I have a couple in shaded windows that bloom regularly with proper light fertilizing. Aloe is tolerant and can grow in brutal sun or complete shade. Coleous and many of the vining plants like ivy are good candidates. Orchids can work as well, although for them to set blooms might require some help.
Oh, darn you C-Ders... I'm looking at pics & I want one of those lovely plants on my windowsill. The wonderful news about your post, Harry, is I adore vining plants. I've tried orchids in the past & given my black thumb, well some plastic is hard bent on remaining intact under my guise.

I was at the local supermarket today & they had a huge outdoor gardening section. Upon leaving, I got a whiff & it stopped me in my tracks... lavender. I adore lavender & use the scent often in the bedroom to help me sleep. Looks like there were 2 different plants, but 1 "kind" was dying & the other was barely blooming.

I'll return to the market & scope out other venues this week & post some pics to see if someone can enlighten me on whether they're just young plants without much foliage (or whatever it's called), or dying plants. To me, it looked the latter.

If I couldn't have edibles, my next choice would be lavender. Although, those coleous looked lovely, too.

Thank you for your post. And, thank you, All. I'll be back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden