Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

As a kid we had half a dozen edible fig trees in California (Bay Area) for many years and never had any problems with the roots. Those are one of the first trees cultivated by humans, and over the centuries have become developed to be drought tolerant with deep roots. Other ficus are invasive and in tropical climates where they thrive have to be carefully monitored or removed to avoid damage to property and other trees. I have several India Banyan (Ficus benghalensis) trees as bonsai, grown from seed started in 2005. They would die in winter outdoors here, but even if in the south would never plant one in the ground. This guy in my office window is only 16" tall, but you can see all of the aerial roots that would now be in the ground and spreading if not in a compact pot. Sorry about it being sideways!
Attached Thumbnails
This is why you don't plant a Fig Tree w/o root constraints-img_0868.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 02:10 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Mmmm FIGS! Thanks for the pics and story. Wow! Impressive is right. I'm more impressed with the suckers coming from the roots. The thing is an alien. You need to get that ground frozen a bit but I assume SoCal that wont be happening. lol

Did you mention how old the Fig tree was? Was it just 1??

I've always been worried about mine being so close but so far after 10yrs, no big root issues. I cut it back each winter and it takes till mid May to show signs of life.

Posted some pics here.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:47 PM

600 posts, read 567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a kid we had half a dozen edible fig trees in California (Bay Area) for many years and never had any problems with the roots. Those are one of the first trees cultivated by humans, and over the centuries have become developed to be drought tolerant with deep roots. Other ficus are invasive and in tropical climates where they thrive have to be carefully monitored or removed to avoid damage to property and other trees. I have several India Banyan (Ficus benghalensis) trees as bonsai, grown from seed started in 2005. They would die in winter outdoors here, but even if in the south would never plant one in the ground. This guy in my office window is only 16" tall, but you can see all of the aerial roots that would now be in the ground and spreading if not in a compact pot. Sorry about it being sideways!
The figs growing on my garden had a paw shape leaf. or maple leaf shape?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:07 PM

More suckers popping up. More roots to be removed.

This one is creeping near the sidewalk.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:45 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
More suckers popping up. More roots to be removed.

This one is creeping near the sidewalk.
Thanks for the updates and pics! That's insane. I cant imagine the work and effort being put in there to battle it.

As I was doing some spring cleaning I thought about this thread. I was raking near the foundation and kept pulling up roots.

As much as I love figs, I may have to take this tree down. . Thing is, I am not getting new shoots everywhere like you but the roots are disturbing. They aren't nearly as extensive or large as yours though. They are easily choppable

Amazing how far it travels! They are long too

Last edited by Cambium; 05-21-2017 at 01:01 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 02:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I bought a potted fig tree about 10 yrs and have it in my living room in the pot. It was about 4' when I got it and now goes to ceiling which I think is 10'. Love that tree and does not bear figs and I've never cut it down which some say would make it fuller. I hate to cut it down now.

My mother had a fig tree in front of her house in PA and every winter would bend it and bury it with mulch/leaves and then with snow when snow came, and in spring the fig tree popped to life. I think I got mine in her memory.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:00 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Which reminds me; (adult material)
When I was younger I kinda understood that the romans and greeks had smaller junk since the fig leaf was able to cover everything up. Further I never understood why the artist would use a fig leaf since there a tiny hairs on the underside of the leaf that secret a mild irritant.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks for the updates and pics! That's insane. I cant imagine the work and effort being put in there to battle it.

As I was doing some spring cleaning I thought about this thread. I was raking near the foundation and kept pulling up roots.

As much as I love figs, I may have to take this tree down. . Thing is, I am not getting new shoots everywhere like you but the roots are disturbing. They aren't nearly as extensive or large as yours though. They are easily choppable

Amazing how far it travels! They are long too

Oh, once you get rid of the main trunk, any roots left over will start sprouting new shoots! Your fig is still pretty small. The one growing on my yard was at least 15ft tall and getting the way of the power lines.

And yeah, those roots are invasive.... Still removing a few here and there.

Last edited by taimaishu; 05-21-2017 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 643 times
Default Fig Tree in Pot for Fruit, garage in winter. Is this okay?

Can you keep a fig tree in a pot and have fruit? We live upstate NY and one survived with coverring with mulch, then one harsh winter with a deep freeze killed it. I bought some others and have them in a pot that I place in the garage. Is it okay to care for them in this manner?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
Yes, just make sure when you do bring them back out it's a nice cloudy day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden