Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 535 times

Advertisements

My Zucchini grow really nice, but they do not bear fruit of any size. They get about 3 inches long and eventually shrivel up and never get any larger. Any ideas on why this happens??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 04:48 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Could be poor pollination, weather related heat. Here's a couple of sites to help you...

Why Squash Dies On The Vine

Zucchini Growing Problems: Troubleshooting - Harvest to Table

Old 06-15-2017, 08:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Yes, you need to get a small artists brush and hand pollinate, it's easy and makes a huge difference. Just go out and do it every day after work.

https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/y...nate-zucchini/

Don't bother closing the female flower as this suggests, just brush on the pollen.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:17 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times
Agree with Hemlock. Almost always a pollination issue. If you have numerous male flowers (flowers that are on a stem with no fruit behind them), which most mature squash and zucchini plants do, you could also remove one and just rub it into a female flower being certain that the stamen of the male flower comes into contact with the stigma of the female flower. Unscientifically, make sure the long stringy thingies in the male flower come into contact with the long stringy thingies in the female flower. That has worked for me in the past. I can't ever seem to get the brush thing to work..

Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Agree with Hemlock. Almost always a pollination issue. If you have numerous male flowers (flowers that are on a stem with no fruit behind them), which most mature squash and zucchini plants do, you could also remove one and just rub it into a female flower being certain that the stamen of the male flower comes into contact with the stigma of the female flower. Unscientifically, make sure the long stringy thingies in the male flower come into contact with the long stringy thingies in the female flower. That has worked for me in the past. I can't ever seem to get the brush thing to work..
I love that description! The nice thing about the brush is being able to do several females with one male. Sometimes there are many females and few males or the other way around.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Of course lack of pollination is the number 1 cause for squash that does not really mature. this is a problem for many with the lack of bees in many regions. Most of us just do not take the time to pollinate by hand. I might suggest the problem could be squash bugs. Sometimes they are not something we look for, although they are easy to spot. The squash looks like it is going to be healthy and happy. After just a few inches in growth they dry up and are gone. I have been fighting this so long I have about given up. I did plant a little patty pan squash this year, just started getting a few blossoms, but I am not counting on getting a lot of squash. If I do, I will be very happy.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:00 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
My first few zucchini and squash each year do that in the beginning. After that the plants go crazy and produce a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden