Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:17 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times

Advertisements

If you go the route a couple of Posters mentioned---Royal Poinciana, just remember that tree gets huge-like the oaks. It is stunning if you have the space.
And if you like it, consider Jacaranda or many of the Cassia species. But as Gemstone mentioned, Poincianas shed pods.
So do Cassia. Jacaranda has an odd looking seed pod, and I'm not sure if they shed them or not. My Jacarandas are too young to create a lot of seed pods, and I pick them before they might have a chance to drop off. But they are gorgeous.

There are two species of Jacaranda grown for shade tree. J. Mimosifolia is the one we have. The flowers are larger. I don't know which ones the local nurseries carry, as we grow ours from seed---a fast grower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 05:04 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
I'd go with jacaranda

Old 06-23-2017, 12:32 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
I would go with live oak but they get too big for many locations.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:36 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Jacaranda FYI:
"Jacarandas are “briefly deciduous” in southern Florida, according to the University of Florida Extension Service in Lee County. They are evergreen in only the warmest, wettest areas. Cold weather or dry periods cause their airy, fernlike leaves to drop. Regular irrigation can help deter leaf loss from dryness.
Characteristics and Culture
Fast-growing trees that reach 45 feet tall and wide, jacarandas produce lavender-blue flower panicles in late spring and early summer followed by tan seed capsules. The trees are drought-tolerant once established and require fast-draining soil to avoid root rot. Plant jacarandas in sites that receive full-sun exposure. Placing them in a lawn is wise because besides leaves they drop many flower petals, which are slippery on walkways and driveways. Each young jacaranda tree needs careful pruning to develop a main leader or stem and an attractive shape".

Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM

311 posts, read 450,991 times
It is best to plan out what you are going to do. If you are going to put in a pool, only use smaller trees or palms in the backyard. Otherwise you will end up removing them later, putting up a screen over the pool or losing all of your sun.

Live oak make the very best shade trees but they get large, very large.
Mahogany make the second best shade tree and get taller than the oaks but not as wide.
Paradise Tree is a good, slow growing shade tree. It has staining fruit so be careful about parking under it.
Green Buttonwood gets really gnarly looking bark.

Silver buttonwood gets the gnarly bark, is smaller and has silver leaves.

Pigeon Plum is a small to medium upright growing tree.
Dahoon Holly is too.
Podocarpus, usually used as hedges, makes a great medium size tree, both the regular and the weeping variety (P. gracilior)

Some flowering trees to consider:
Pink Tab, Yellow Tab, Purple Tab (Tabebuia)
Instead of the Poinciana, look for a Colville's Glory tree. Similar look but more upright not spreading.

Don't forget palms! There are over 2600 species and most of them will grow very well for you. Everything from something a few inches tall to something that gets huge.

Go visit the Naples botanical gardens to get ideas.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:30 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
I like Camphor tree and giant white bird of paradise

Old 06-29-2017, 10:47 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
If you find a nursery that sells the native Turkey Oak (Quercus laevis) they make a wonderful drought tolerant small oak that can grow in sandy soil.

Quercus laevis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden