Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times

Advertisements

I live in SW Florida and am buying a house. The property is the standard 80x125 for this area. I want to plant some shade trees but I don't want something with invasive roots as I, or future owners, may want to put in a pool. The last house I had I planted Live Oaks. I researched them before planting the saplings and everything I read said they grow wide, but not super tall. Well I drove by my old house last week and these trees are tremendous, blocking the view of the entire house. Probably should have planted them in the back yard instead of the front. I planted two thinking I would eventually put a hammock between them but we moved out of that house in 2007.

What should I plant in this new backyard? Live Oaks again since it is in the backyard and they grow pretty fast or maybe crape myrtles? I don't want something that sheds its leaves because the yard has a southern exposure and here in Florida, we need all the shade from the brutal sun we can get. Any suggestions keeping in mind that this is South Florida? I used to have loads of gardening books specifically for this area but in my many moves they disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I live in SW Florida and am buying a house. The property is the standard 80x125 for this area. I want to plant some shade trees but I don't want something with invasive roots as I, or future owners, may want to put in a pool. The last house I had I planted Live Oaks. I researched them before planting the saplings and everything I read said they grow wide, but not super tall. Well I drove by my old house last week and these trees are tremendous, blocking the view of the entire house. Probably should have planted them in the back yard instead of the front. I planted two thinking I would eventually put a hammock between them but we moved out of that house in 2007.

What should I plant in this new backyard? Live Oaks again since it is in the backyard and they grow pretty fast or maybe crape myrtles? I don't want something that sheds its leaves because the yard has a southern exposure and here in Florida, we need all the shade from the brutal sun we can get. Any suggestions keeping in mind that this is South Florida? I used to have loads of gardening books specifically for this area but in my many moves they disappeared.
Call some reputable garden nurseries that sell native plants would be my suggestion.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:28 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
I'd be interested in Tree recommendations also. So it will be interesting to see what replies come in. I'm in PA. And my neighbor wants to put another tree where a previous one was. It's between the curb and the sidewalk -- and the roots whatever the builder put in 48 years ago (an elm, a pin oak?) -- had started to push the sidewalk up. We want tall enough for shade, but have to be mindful that it's in an area where the water main and pipes from houses aren't too far away.

OP try Googling your question. You'd be surprised what lists and recommendations are just out there online.

I'm going to Google "best shade trees for urban areas." You could try "best shade tree south Florida" or "best tree southwest Florida"

ETA: I just Googled "best shade tree Florida" and all kinds of links came up.

Last edited by selhars; 06-21-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 03:17 PM

Thank you Selhars!

Old 06-21-2017, 03:26 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
I love the beautiful coloring of the Japanese Maple, and they don't get huge.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'd be interested in Tree recommendations also. So it will be interesting to see what replies come in. I'm in PA.
I like red maple trees, but since they are so common, you might also want to look at the Littleleaf Linden

Chicago, Illinois Landscaping: Buy Greenspire Little Leaf Linden Trees Online

The link is included for the photo, only. I'm sure you can find it more cheaply locally if you are interested.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough growing experience in FL to make recommendations, other than to second the post to go talk to folks at a local nursery.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:41 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Chili, You will find the Dahoon Holly/Ilex cassine, does well down here. Small leaved, it has an Asian flare to it, that I personally think makes it a very attractive shade tree. You will see many of them planted at the local Publix supermarkets, as it is one of the plants listed by Regional Management to their lots.

The Live Oak is also nice. I like the Dahoon because it stays smaller, good for smaller lots. I guess you'll figure out what works best for you. I third the ideal of asking the advice offered by local Nurserymen.

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/database/do...ts/ilecasa.pdf

Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,635 times
I used to love the Royal Poincianas. They are fairly fast growing to about 40 feet high. They do drop seed pods, though and their roots are pretty close to the surface.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 AM

I googled South Florida shade trees and it brought up the Lee County Extension website (I think that is what is called) which lists all the shrubs & trees that they recommend for this area and tells you how tall they get, whether they are Florida natives, salt tolerant, drought resistant, wind resistant, how far away you should plant from structures and even what, if any, diseases they are susceptible to. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:36 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,357,219 times
After seeing these in the wild in Puerto Rico, I would plant one of these: Royal Poinciana Tree, in a heartbeat....if they would grow where I am......

They will work in SW Florida.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden