Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You would think that breaking blades is a liability issue!
Nope. Broken spindles and bent blades are a part selling issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 09:22 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. Broken spindles and bent blades are a part selling issue.
\

I do my own work and that is expensive enough. The blades for these mowers, that want lift for bagging systems, have weak areas and will flex/bend quickly. Once they bend; they cut even lower so the next thing they hit will be the last hit before they break or the spindle breaks. The companies put plenty of muscle in the engines that make that damage even greater.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Mowing at 6" is still mowing - it gets rid of the tall grass and weeds and it doesn't hit the rocks and roots.

By the way; use your lawn tractor to get rid of the moles - they do not like lawn tractors. Simply use your tractor like a lawn roller; making tracks with your tires that almost touch each other. Pick a day after the rain when the ground is soft. Most tractors will collapse the mole holes and kill some of the moles. Repeat as needed. You could use your car or truck if you only have push mowers; just don't get stunk in a mole hole.

If I get the right deal on a set of tires I might try going larger.

You have no idea. My moles are impermeable army in bullet proof vests. Times 4 acres to mow times hell of uneven surface to mow on. Imagine washboard with your rocks high wave going in any direction possible. That's my mowing. After 3 hrs your head feels like it was in concrete mixer. So running mower over it all for moles pleasure? I'll pass. But hey, tractor is coming with blade. THEN they will have it.

Amazon. You are fighting wind mills otherwise, as you either lift entire mower=taller tires or you simply want to rant about it. You can't make deck go higher than frame permits.
I got set of ATV mud tires for me Craftsman off Amazon for 80 bucks or so. Pair. Just bought pair of Bazookas ATV tires for my ZTR for $133, I got to have good grip because of hills, Turfmaster simply floats on wet grass. Nice drifting but that's it.
Anyway, ebay you can find suitable size tires easily between 60 and 120 bucks a pair. Set of four is even cheaper.
Here's example:
Set Pair of 2 SunF 20x10-10 20x10x10 ATV Quad Tires, 6 PR A004 | eBay

So if you really want to lift it up, you have to go taller tires.

Half inch thick blade? REALLY? I'd like to see that.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:13 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You have no idea. My moles are impermeable army in bullet proof vests. Times 4 acres to mow times hell of uneven surface to mow on. Imagine washboard with your rocks high wave going in any direction possible. That's my mowing. After 3 hrs your head feels like it was in concrete mixer. So running mower over it all for moles pleasure? I'll pass. But hey, tractor is coming with blade. THEN they will have it.

Amazon. You are fighting wind mills otherwise, as you either lift entire mower=taller tires or you simply want to rant about it. You can't make deck go higher than frame permits.
I got set of ATV mud tires for me Craftsman off Amazon for 80 bucks or so. Pair. Just bought pair of Bazookas ATV tires for my ZTR for $133, I got to have good grip because of hills, Turfmaster simply floats on wet grass. Nice drifting but that's it.
Anyway, ebay you can find suitable size tires easily between 60 and 120 bucks a pair. Set of four is even cheaper.
Here's example:
Set Pair of 2 SunF 20x10-10 20x10x10 ATV Quad Tires, 6 PR A004 | eBay

So if you really want to lift it up, you have to go taller tires.

Half inch thick blade? REALLY? I'd like to see that.
I was wrong; it has been forty years since I worked on them. The blade was only 3/8th inch thick: http://www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Co...Broch_0373.pdf. Sorry; getting a little rusty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden