Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:43 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
My experience is that there isn't much you can do after being bitten. It's going to itch,no matter what you put on the bites. I've got several myself right now, and I'm trying really hard not to scratch, but I also know eventually I will!
DH would like to rent me out for parties and make money because the little buggers, including no-see-ems, can find me if I am hiding in a closet.

Seriously, I am very allergic and get welts when bitten and he gets nothing. There is little that really helps me, but I no longer use any kind of scent in any thing. Deodorant, soap, laundry detergent, shampoo etc. My bites have been reduced, but not eliminated. I try not to be out at dawn or dusk as much as possible.

As far as the machines like Mosquito delete goes. I had one of them too. They are expensive to maintain with a new tank every three weeks and while you can empty a birdbath, and flower pot saucers, etc. if your neighbor doesn't, they are always close. I have a birdbath and I refresh the water every day. The donuts do work.

I have had a degree of success with Allegra for the itching. I always take one if I am going to a party and take it several hours before arrival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 11:43 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I have a friend who swears by Gold Bond ointment with lidocaine, but I haven't tried it. Comes in a little tube like Neosporin and not expensive.

For repellant, because I won't put DEET on myself no matter what, I tried Repel DEET-free and as the second biggest mosquito magnet on earth right behind nuts2uiam, I can tell you this stuff has been working for me. It's pungent, you've been warned.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:09 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Calamine lotion is always good for soothing mosquito bites.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Mosquito Magnet, greatest invention since sliced bread. Have had ours (E Central MN, in the middle of a low wet area) for about 15 years and it does everything it claims to do, check out independent online reviews yourself. They are expensive but we've saved a small fortune in bug spray over the past 15 years as we don't need to use any once the unit has been running each spring for 3 to 5 weeks. Ours probably covers an acre and-a half but they do have models that cover an even greater area.

Mosquito Magnet® Learning Center

Old 07-31-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Mosquito Magnet, greatest invention since sliced bread. Have had ours (E Central MN, in the middle of a low wet area) for about 15 years and it does everything it claims to do, check out independent online reviews yourself. They are expensive but we've saved a small fortune in bug spray over the past 15 years as we don't need to use any once the unit has been running each spring for 3 to 5 weeks. Ours probably covers an acre and-a half but they do have models that cover an even greater area.

Mosquito Magnet® Learning Center
I had one and it was ok but it was not only expensive, but also a pain in the neck to have to get a new tank every 19 -20 days. It was alright but I didn't feel it was worth the expense and trouble. If it worked better for us then, I would be able to overlook both of these a bit easier.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:55 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I just read the oddest thing in the Health & Wellness forum about people who are hot and sweating all the time. (Like me.) Someone said they were insect magnets and I found it really odd, but then I'm an insect magnet and always hot and sweat to an embarrassing degree, so was wondering if any of you other mosquito magnets are hot?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I just read the oddest thing in the Health & Wellness forum about people who are hot and sweating all the time. (Like me.) Someone said they were insect magnets and I found it really odd, but then I'm an insect magnet and always hot and sweat to an embarrassing degree, so was wondering if any of you other mosquito magnets are hot?

oh, I'm pretty hot

Old 08-01-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Not so for me. However, I have heard that sweat draws them.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
okay for all of those who said they swell up after getting bitten by a mosquito what you have is secondary contact dermatitis from the bite and yes you are allergic is what that means and you have to keep the bite area very cleaned and washed every day and use rubbing alcohol on the area every day as well followed by calamine lotion . also use long sleeved shirts and long pants and stick your pants legs into your socks as well as wearing tennis shoes . I think if you follow this dress code you should be okay from the nasty buggers for a while . good luck to all of you and may we all clear up soon .

Old 08-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay for all of those who said they swell up after getting bitten by a mosquito what you have is secondary contact dermatitis from the bite and yes you are allergic is what that means and you have to keep the bite area very cleaned and washed every day and use rubbing alcohol on the area every day as well followed by calamine lotion . also use long sleeved shirts and long pants and stick your pants legs into your socks as well as wearing tennis shoes . I think if you follow this dress code you should be okay from the nasty buggers for a while . good luck to all of you and may we all clear up soon .
Right you are. Whenever I get a mosquito bite before scratching it is generally already the size of a quarter, a white hard lump with the bite hole in the center. If I scratch it and it opens up, then it weeps like a blister. I have been told it is an allergic reaction. I have been like this my entire life. My sister very much the opposite, in fact we would play together in the yard as kids and I would come in and have bites galore and my sister maybe a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden