Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:29 PM

7,461 posts, read 7,088,441 times

Advertisements

Avoid granular.

//www.city-data.com/forum/48136910-post154.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I have been using several different products and I am still having issues killing lawn weeds.

First I used Lebanon Broadleaf Weed Killer with Trimec, a granular product.

Then I tried Turflon Ester, a liquid treatment and its killing the Black Medic clover but it not so great at killing other weeds. This product is a liquid and applied with a pump sprayer.

I have read about the Bayer Lawn Weed Killer but the reviews are not that great. I would love to find just one good product to deal with the weeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 07:11 PM

6,079 posts, read 4,444,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
In a way, this is comforting to hear. I too have had little luck with weed spraying this year. Feared maybe I have some sort of super weed. Now it sounds like they're just normal.

I get water from a well on my property, and I fear weed killers might filter into the well, so I may just live with the weeds. At least they're green!
This is what I've been doing. All those weeds are naturally occurring and grow great just where they are. As long as you keep them properly mowed, they're pretty lush and some have nice flowers. Bees love them, which is good if you plant a vegetable garden. I dig out big ones like dandelions, and drop a few mini clover seeds in the spot.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:56 AM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times
The problem with most of these lawn weed killers is that they tend to hang around in the soil for awhile (especially atrazine), and this can damage trees and shrubs, even kill them. I do use them, but to spot treat only, I don't spray my whole yard.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 AM

https://www.amazon.com/PBI-Gordon-Sp...don+speed+zone

END of weed problems.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:36 AM

6,351 posts, read 4,120,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
It is one of the highest rated weed killers that I have seen do I will add it to my arsenal and pay careful attention as to which weed killers work best on the various types of weeds and clover that I have.

I guess all of the products have slightly different ingredients so there is no one size fits all. The burden is on me to determine what's best for what! Thanks

Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,481,617 times
^ You might want to pay close attention to the cautions on the label. It's one of the more toxic I've seen.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,378,934 times
The Bayer product is a good one. It gets bad reviews because it takes about two weeks to start seeing real results. People are too impatient and jump the gun, or mix it incorrectly, etc.

IIRC I mix ~three ounces of Bayer to one gallon water in my pump sprayer. Wait two weeks and do a repeat spot treatment on any weeds that don't look sick. After a month your weeds should be mostly gone.

I have used it for almost a decade and I still get the same great results. For the $$ and ease of availability it can't be beat.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:58 PM

I have tried several with so-so results, this one delivers:

https://www.amazon.com/PBI-Gordon-Sp...don+speed+zone

Quote:
It is one of the highest rated weed killers that I have seen do I will add it to my arsenal and pay careful attention as to which weed killers work best on the various types of weeds and clover that I have.

I guess all of the products have slightly different ingredients so there is no one size fits all. The burden is on me to determine what's best for what! Thanks

Old 08-17-2017, 06:22 PM

6,351 posts, read 4,120,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The Bayer product is a good one. It gets bad reviews because it takes about two weeks to start seeing real results. People are too impatient and jump the gun, or mix it incorrectly, etc.

IIRC I mix ~three ounces of Bayer to one gallon water in my pump sprayer. Wait two weeks and do a repeat spot treatment on any weeds that don't look sick. After a month your weeds should be mostly gone.

I have used it for almost a decade and I still get the same great results. For the $$ and ease of availability it can't be beat.
I have been using Turflon Ester which was specifically selected to deal with the Black Medic clover that has invaded our lawn. It seems to be effective but it does require two treatments in certain areas. I guess this is a pretty toxic liquid since you use less than an ounce with 2 gallons of water.

I guess I will take your recommendation and try the Bayer weed killer. I always buy according to reviews but like you stated, perhaps many users are not using it properly.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:12 PM

Tried Bayer and found it vary so so.

Often required a 2nd application and 2-3 weeks to take effect if any.

Gordon's was referred from a friend and only had good things to say about it.

Quote:
I have been using Turflon Ester which was specifically selected to deal with the Black Medic clover that has invaded our lawn. It seems to be effective but it does require two treatments in certain areas. I guess this is a pretty toxic liquid since you use less than an ounce with 2 gallons of water.

I guess I will take your recommendation and try the Bayer weed killer. I always buy according to reviews but like you stated, perhaps many users are not using it properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden