Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 06:47 AM

7,489 posts, read 7,160,377 times

Advertisements

Great lawn care weather continues this weekend and next week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 04:33 AM

https://youtu.be/wFB7s_mYCO4

Old 10-14-2019, 11:36 AM

346 posts, read 550,495 times
How green is your lawn at the moment? All the lawns in my neighborhood are still dormant and crispy to the touch from lack of rain / irrigation.

I just started watering after overseeding and fertilizing and most of my lawn is back to a lush dark green except for the side area and part of the backyard. Starting to be concerned that those areas are dead :/

Old 10-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Lawn is looking great, but is also irrigated. On my street some homes irrigate while unfortunately others do not.

https://youtu.be/SgrkLQHfZTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
How green is your lawn at the moment? All the lawns in my neighborhood are still dormant and crispy to the touch from lack of rain / irrigation.

I just started watering after overseeding and fertilizing and most of my lawn is back to a lush dark green except for the side area and part of the backyard. Starting to be concerned that those areas are dead :/

Old 10-17-2019, 01:17 PM

95 posts, read 69,612 times
I saw a couple posts mentioning Jonathan Green fall product. This is the 1st year I did a cycle with J.G. Products, the local in town nursery went from being contractor/wholesale only to open to the public in the not so distant past. They carried this brand and I decided to give it a shot.

My previous home started with a crummy weedy lawn when we moved in and over the 10 years I lived there I basically hand started a new lawn after removing most weeds manually. After a few years I had an irrigation system put in, and stayed on top of over-seeding (by hand), lawn care and fertilizing mostly using the scotts 1-4 step bags. I did slice seed in some more grass after the irrigation was put in and spread a few yards or loam to some low spots. It looked pretty decent when we left.

Move to new house 3-ish years ago and inherited a "meh" lawn, some spots decent, others not, we moved in the fall and I didn't touch it until the spring. HELLO dandelions! so many....I was that lawn on the block. I plucked hundreds by hand before the tru-green guy showed up and offered their lawn care package, i was reluctant as I had decent results on my own in the past but decided to give it a shot, as it wasn't going to cost much difference for them to apply all year vs my 1-4 steps of scotts. Wasn't satisfied and booted them after a couple months and resumed my duties.

As I said this year was first time using the Jon Green steps 1-4, and had great results in the spring-early summer, I personally thought the results were better than when using scotts or vigro products. I don't have irrigation, and it did turn a bit crispy over the summer. I core aerated and overseeded a few weeks ago, but it was a last minute decision and was stuck buying scotts seed with their dumb coating. I put down a smaller bag of kentuky blue seed along with a large bag of the northeast mix seed. The nursery carries Jonathan Green Seed, anyone try it out. I may get some next fall to overseed more depending on how my lawn fills out. Right now the bare patches mostly look like plugs from the aerating, hopefully it thickens up more. I mowed for the first time this past weekend, and we have been getting a couple heavy rain events each of the last 2 weeks here in s. new england.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:00 PM

What do you think of their Winterizer 10-0-20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver916 View Post
I saw a couple posts mentioning Jonathan Green fall product. This is the 1st year I did a cycle with J.G. Products, the local in town nursery went from being contractor/wholesale only to open to the public in the not so distant past. They carried this brand and I decided to give it a shot.

My previous home started with a crummy weedy lawn when we moved in and over the 10 years I lived there I basically hand started a new lawn after removing most weeds manually. After a few years I had an irrigation system put in, and stayed on top of over-seeding (by hand), lawn care and fertilizing mostly using the scotts 1-4 step bags. I did slice seed in some more grass after the irrigation was put in and spread a few yards or loam to some low spots. It looked pretty decent when we left.

Move to new house 3-ish years ago and inherited a "meh" lawn, some spots decent, others not, we moved in the fall and I didn't touch it until the spring. HELLO dandelions! so many....I was that lawn on the block. I plucked hundreds by hand before the tru-green guy showed up and offered their lawn care package, i was reluctant as I had decent results on my own in the past but decided to give it a shot, as it wasn't going to cost much difference for them to apply all year vs my 1-4 steps of scotts. Wasn't satisfied and booted them after a couple months and resumed my duties.

As I said this year was first time using the Jon Green steps 1-4, and had great results in the spring-early summer, I personally thought the results were better than when using scotts or vigro products. I don't have irrigation, and it did turn a bit crispy over the summer. I core aerated and overseeded a few weeks ago, but it was a last minute decision and was stuck buying scotts seed with their dumb coating. I put down a smaller bag of kentuky blue seed along with a large bag of the northeast mix seed. The nursery carries Jonathan Green Seed, anyone try it out. I may get some next fall to overseed more depending on how my lawn fills out. Right now the bare patches mostly look like plugs from the aerating, hopefully it thickens up more. I mowed for the first time this past weekend, and we have been getting a couple heavy rain events each of the last 2 weeks here in s. new england.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:38 AM

95 posts, read 69,612 times
I put it down last week after I mowed, I think its too early to tell. Grass has greened up a bunch but not sure if its from the monsoon of rain we have gotten over the past couple weeks or if its residual from the starter I put down when I over-seeded.

I never usually saw all that much difference when putting down the scotts winterguard or whatever they call it. I think its just a combination of having usually dry summers which leave lawns a bit crispy, and then in the fall when the rains usually return its time that the winterizer goes down, so grass always looks decent in the fall, at least in established parts.

I see my over-seeding poking through nice and green even in patches of crabgrass or weedy areas. I know it'll take at least 1 more over-seeding and work on some thin areas before I get something to be somewhat proud of. I was happy with the J.G. cycle of fertilizer so I plan on using it again next year.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:04 PM

Hard to believe in just about another month, but fall lawn care is just around the corner.

Looking to aerate the fall and apply Dimension for those early winter weeds that start sooner than later.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:58 AM

If your having someone do the aeration for you, be sure to schedule and get on their calendar early.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:13 PM

Boy what difference a year or two can make.

Record rainfall makes for a lush green late summer/early fall lawn.

Aerating definitely makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden