Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:24 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

October 10, 2017:

Should of taken a before, was so brown. Got 0.33" of rain yesterday and instantly things greened up, but you can see some patches still need to fill in. Seeds should be germinating any day now.

Front Yard (Yes, needs a mow)

Having a dog the backyard was neglected for 10 yrs. I over seeded it as well but needs many years of care now.

I have to google what is the rule of thumb on how much water to give the new seeds. Temps will be very warm & sunny next few days so have to factor in evaporation too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 12:39 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
With new seed, I just keep them moist and usually do a spray in the early AM and evening. No point soaking the ground when the seeds are just sitting on top. Usually within a week they sprout

Old 10-12-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
With new seed, I just keep them moist and usually do a spray in the early AM and evening. No point soaking the ground when the seeds are just sitting on top. Usually within a week they sprout
Thanks. We're getting lucky here.. Another 0.15" fell overnight. Ready for this weekend? (70s!)

Hello there new grass blades on fresh organic compost. I didn't realize the material until I saw this close up. lol Pretty soon the leaves will be covering everything.

Oct 12, 2017

Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Yes, mow first.

Starter fertilizer you generally want to put down the same day that your seeding.

The Scott's link you posted will work very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Tomorrow afternoon will be 3 weeks since it was hydroseeded, and it's pretty much already at the point of needing it's first mowing. I think I'll wait one more week though so it thickens just a little more.

Question I have: at the one month point I'm supposed to use a good nitrogen starter fertilizer. Should I mow first, and then apply the fertilizer? I'm thinking about using this one:

Scotts 12.6 lb. 5,000 sq. ft. Turf Builder Lawn Food-22305 - The Home Depot

Old 10-12-2017, 01:59 PM

YES!

Agree completely NC211.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Pretty photos, but think you should reserve the weather commentary for a weather-related / weather-specific thread. You might be flagged for hijacking a topic with the consistent weather updates.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:29 AM

October 13th... Mow day today. Poor little seedlings will have to feel me walking on them. Wanted to do it yesterday but the grass blades were laying too low from being too wet.

Quote:
Tomorrow afternoon will be 3 weeks since it was hydroseeded, and it's pretty much already at the point of needing it's first mowing. I think I'll wait one more week though so it thickens just a little more.

Question I have: at the one month point I'm supposed to use a good nitrogen starter fertilizer. Should I mow first, and then apply the fertilizer? I'm thinking about using this one:

Scotts 12.6 lb. 5,000 sq. ft. Turf Builder Lawn Food-22305 - The Home Depot

Did you end up using that fertilizer? What about the Fall Weed and Feed one? Or the Winter Guard Fall lawn Food one since we're only 2 months away now? Or you think it would it been too strong for the new seedlings?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:56 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
October 13th... Mow day today. Poor little seedlings will have to feel me walking on them. Wanted to do it yesterday but the grass blades were laying too low from being too wet.

Did you end up using that fertilizer? What about the Fall Weed and Feed one? Or the Winter Guard Fall lawn Food one since we're only 2 months away now? Or you think it would it been too strong for the new seedlings?
My yard was Hydroseeded. It has high-phosphorus fertilizer mixed in it from the start for good rooting. The Scott's fertilizer is high-nitrogen. Since it's new seedlings, I can NOT use a weed killer right now.

I have not used the Scotts as of yet, as the first mowing is still a few days off and it's been raining off and on. Probably by Monday I will have mowed it, and then I'll use the Scotts.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:58 AM

Do not use weed and feed on new grass and ignore anyone who tells you differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebear View Post
my yard was hydroseeded. It has high-phosphorus fertilizer mixed in it from the start for good rooting. The scott's fertilizer is high-nitrogen. Since it's new seedlings, i can not use a weed killer right now.

I have not used the scotts as of yet, as the first mowing is still a few days off and it's been raining off and on. Probably by monday i will have mowed it, and then i'll use the scotts.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
My yard was Hydroseeded. It has high-phosphorus fertilizer mixed in it from the start for good rooting. The Scott's fertilizer is high-nitrogen. Since it's new seedlings, I can NOT use a weed killer right now.

I have not used the Scotts as of yet, as the first mowing is still a few days off and it's been raining off and on. Probably by Monday I will have mowed it, and then I'll use the Scotts.
Now 4 weeks old, curious how the hydroseeding is going. Keep us posted. Thanks

Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Now 4 weeks old, curious how the hydroseeding is going. Keep us posted. Thanks
I mowed it Friday afternoon, as we were scheduled to rain all weekend. After mowing, I fertilized it with the Scott's (32-0-4) I posted above. The rain was a slow and steady one all day Saturday and Sunday, and we got over 1 inch.

My grass filled in better on the hydroseeded section (about 3,000sq ft), and even the hand-seeded section next to it (1,000 sq ft) I just started a week ago, greened up and came up about another 1 inch or more just this weekend! It looks so good compared to other parts of the lawn, I wish now I had been able to afford to do even more of the lawn this way. There's quite a few other sections that are just grass coming up in black sand, and when it's dry, they die out very quickly.

There's always next year, and I learned a lot just doing this. The previous owners didn't do anything, and allowed most of the lawn to just die off. When we moved in, the FIRST thing I did was removed 27 trailer-loads (Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer with sides) of old oak and maple leaves that had been left over the years!

The lot is 1/2 acre and is all grass except for the house and driveway.

I learned a lot just reading this and the other thread on lawn care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden