Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:32 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times

Advertisements

Just keep misting, don't wanna be watering the soil or keeping it too wet, just enough for seed germination.

Then gradually back off on frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I wish I had that problem here in mid-Michigan. I just hydroseeded Tuesday afternoon, and we've now got 94 degree temps, with no rain in sight... I'm watering for 10-15 minutes, 5 times (every 2~ hours or so) per day to keep the seed bed moist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:28 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
My plans:

1: Add some compost to needed parts of lawn
2: Core Aerate property for 1st time since...1980s?
3: Add starter fertilizer
4: Add Milorganite
5: Add Grass seeds

Decided against that after finding this out....... FAQ

Also decided against Aerating this year.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:01 AM

12 posts, read 14,116 times
[quote=Cambium;49624074]Decided against that after finding this out....... FAQ

Is this due to where milogranite comes from, "dry bugs from sewer waste"?

Old 09-25-2017, 09:30 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
[quote=movin2Reston;49612644]Bring back to lushness...

How did the overseeding go?

Which seed did you use?

Blisters on my hands, because I've been living the life of Riley with handing the yard over to a landscaper this summer. But have taken it back now to get it ready for the fall/winter and hopefully an easier spring return.

Used Kentucky 31 premium tall fescue. Didn't have the time to make the trip to S. States for their premium tall fescue. I've used K31 in the past, it's pretty good actually. Coated the yard with 250lbs of soybean meal (5 bags) and 150lbs of alfalfa meal (3 bags). Then watered with the rest of my microbial inoculant (Quantum). I've not needed the irrigation system much this year, but have set an aggressive schedule for it for the next two weeks to make sure nothing goes too dry. Hopefully the yard will do what it did earlier this year and explode back with new growth over the next 10-14 days. Then I'll mow with bagger, and not screw with it like I did when I screwed it up back in late May/June.

Still can't believe I made such a stupid mistake as using the wrong spray tip on the backpack sprayer. Guaranty I won't do that twice! The front yard came through ok, but the back took it on the chin in a couple of spots. Basically had two areas about 8 feet around that went completely dead to dirt. Several about the size of a medium/small pizza that went dead, and the whole thing just thinned out badly. Front thinned down too, but not nearly as bad or noticeable.

Thankfully though I never really had any problems with weeds this year, especially crab grass. Only had to hit a couple of spots once or twice all summer with the DriveXLR8 along the road. We don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood, or curb cuts for runoff. It's basically blacktop to the yard for roads. So if one neighbor had a weed/crabgrass problem, when it rains, those seeds just float on over to the neighbor's yard. I have two houses behind me that are upgradient, and I have the storm drain in my yard that's very well hidden. When it pours, it just washes down their fronts yards towards the street and on down the hill into mine as it all heads to the storm drain. So, if they have problems, I get them too. Thankfully they're really good neighbors and keep their yards up. But do have to hit that area of my front lawn every month or so with some spot treating for crab grass and whatnot. Nothing major anymore though.

It'll come back. Soil has had enough time to churn out and dilute down the stuff I accidently over did it with in May. I tilled those bare spots, loaded up with new seed, alfalfa, soy, inoculant, and keeping it damp for the next 10 days. Did all this on Saturday. Went out there this morning, and the soybean is already starting to stink! That's a great sign, as it signals the soil is breaking it down quickly to get it all back to par. Going to stink like a hot mess this week, that's for sure!!

Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn70 View Post
Is this due to where milogranite comes from, "dry bugs from sewer waste"?

It's from "wastewater"... Human waste. No thanks. I'm sure its good, I hear and seen it works, but I'd rather have regular organic compost and Horse, Cow or Chicken waste versus Human waste.

It's why it's illegal to use in California and why Big Box stores will get fined $250,000 if they keep it on the floor (they have to keep the bags up high). That should tell you something.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:23 PM

I tried Milogranite last year. Wasn't impressed at all to be honest. Stunk, got everywhere, didn't really make anything "pop" in the lawn or landscaping. Wasn't really quite sure why all of the positive hype, to be honest. I've had far more luck with good old fashioned soybean meal and alfalfa meal. When combined, the two have some of the best N-P-K values you can buy in the organic space, unless if you want cows and chickens to crap all over your lawn. And because it's organic, no fear of burning up the landscaping. Can't put too much down. And grass seeds absolutely go nuts over the two of them. I won't seed without applying both at that same time.

My buddy tried Lawn Restore by Safer Brands this year, and now swears by it too. Also organic, has a 10-0-6 rating (10 nitrogen, 0 phosphate, 6 K factor for root health). Said it did more for him than my alfalfa/soy mix, and he also tried that blackhen stuff too last year. Said the BlackHen stunk so bad he couldn't stand it. Was very happy with the soybean/alfalfa mix, but was a bit too much for him to put down himself (it is a bit messy and can't do it in the wind). He was completely blown away by the Lawn Restore product. Said it was super easy to put down, didn't stink, and made the existing grass blades thicken up dramatically and brought up the new grass really well. Said it greened up like he's never seen before (hence the 10 rating). I'm going to give it a try later this fall for a winter feed.

Last edited by NC211; 09-25-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 04:25 PM

Impressive to say the least...talk about taking the statement DOMINATE to new levels.

I left the landscaper do majority of the work but there's parts that I will only handle myself including crab grass preventer in the spring time and fertilizing in general.

[quote=NC211;49624768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Bring back to lushness...

How did the overseeding go?

Which seed did you use?

Blisters on my hands, because I've been living the life of Riley with handing the yard over to a landscaper this summer. But have taken it back now to get it ready for the fall/winter and hopefully an easier spring return.

Used Kentucky 31 premium tall fescue. Didn't have the time to make the trip to S. States for their premium tall fescue. I've used K31 in the past, it's pretty good actually. Coated the yard with 250lbs of soybean meal (5 bags) and 150lbs of alfalfa meal (3 bags). Then watered with the rest of my microbial inoculant (Quantum). I've not needed the irrigation system much this year, but have set an aggressive schedule for it for the next two weeks to make sure nothing goes too dry. Hopefully the yard will do what it did earlier this year and explode back with new growth over the next 10-14 days. Then I'll mow with bagger, and not screw with it like I did when I screwed it up back in late May/June.

Still can't believe I made such a stupid mistake as using the wrong spray tip on the backpack sprayer. Guaranty I won't do that twice! The front yard came through ok, but the back took it on the chin in a couple of spots. Basically had two areas about 8 feet around that went completely dead to dirt. Several about the size of a medium/small pizza that went dead, and the whole thing just thinned out badly. Front thinned down too, but not nearly as bad or noticeable.

Thankfully though I never really had any problems with weeds this year, especially crab grass. Only had to hit a couple of spots once or twice all summer with the DriveXLR8 along the road. We don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood, or curb cuts for runoff. It's basically blacktop to the yard for roads. So if one neighbor had a weed/crabgrass problem, when it rains, those seeds just float on over to the neighbor's yard. I have two houses behind me that are upgradient, and I have the storm drain in my yard that's very well hidden. When it pours, it just washes down their fronts yards towards the street and on down the hill into mine as it all heads to the storm drain. So, if they have problems, I get them too. Thankfully they're really good neighbors and keep their yards up. But do have to hit that area of my front lawn every month or so with some spot treating for crab grass and whatnot. Nothing major anymore though.

It'll come back. Soil has had enough time to churn out and dilute down the stuff I accidently over did it with in May. I tilled those bare spots, loaded up with new seed, alfalfa, soy, inoculant, and keeping it damp for the next 10 days. Did all this on Saturday. Went out there this morning, and the soybean is already starting to stink! That's a great sign, as it signals the soil is breaking it down quickly to get it all back to par. Going to stink like a hot mess this week, that's for sure!!

Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM

I find both to be excellent products:

https://youtu.be/yU_CuSEcqXc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I tried Milogranite last year. Wasn't impressed at all to be honest. Stunk, got everywhere, didn't really make anything "pop" in the lawn or landscaping. Wasn't really quite sure why all of the positive hype, to be honest. I've had far more luck with good old fashioned soybean meal and alfalfa meal. When combined, the two have some of the best N-P-K values you can buy in the organic space, unless if you want cows and chickens to crap all over your lawn. And because it's organic, no fear of burning up the landscaping. Can't put too much down. And grass seeds absolutely go nuts over the two of them. I won't seed without applying both at that same time.

My buddy tried Lawn Restore by Safer Brands this year, and now swears by it too. Also organic, has a 10-0-6 rating (10 nitrogen, 0 phosphate, 6 K factor for root health). Said it did more for him than my alfalfa/soy mix, and he also tried that blackhen stuff too last year. Said the BlackHen stunk so bad he couldn't stand it. Was very happy with the soybean/alfalfa mix, but was a bit too much for him to put down himself (it is a bit messy and can't do it in the wind). He was completely blown away by the Lawn Restore product. Said it was super easy to put down, didn't stink, and made the existing grass blades thicken up dramatically and brought up the new grass really well. Said it greened up like he's never seen before (hence the 10 rating). I'm going to give it a try later this fall for a winter feed.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 AM

I love that guy's channel, he's a natural with the camera!

I might give the restore a try in a few weeks for a winter feed. Not quite sure yet and want to see if this crazy (and stinky) concoction I've come up with can repeat itself again this fall like it did back in April. The areas that I did not overly spray in May, have done insanely well this year (the bushes, shrubs, trees). That Quantum microbial inoculant stuff that I mentioned on the other thread around post #155, is beyond insanely good! I posted up a couple of pictures of our Schip Laurels at that time (April). They were 4 feet-ish then. Now, 5 months later, they're now taller than I am (5'10) and quickly approaching 6 1/2 feet, completely filled in between each other, and I'll have to start trimming them soon. Since they're evergreens, they likely be approaching 7 1/2 to 8 feet by Christmas. 2 1/2 feet of vertical growth and close to the same horizontally, in 5 months time. When we planted them 18 months ago, they were around 2 feet tall max. Not a single leaf was lost this year either. The trees we had planted back in March 2016, all going gang busters now too. That stuff is an absolute must have item going forward. Before I screwed up the lawn, I was aiming for the golf ball test, and went right past it. I could put a baseball on it and it wouldn't touch the ground underneath it.

I screwed up because I got lazy. In one tank mixture, I put everything in. Drive XLR8, Tenacity, TZone, TalStar, surfactant. When I had the 4 gallon pack on, I realized I had the wrong spray tip and couldn't find the fan tip I needed. So, I said screw it and off I went. Two critical errors made. (1) WRONG tip and application technique (waived side to side). (2) Had surfactant in there with items that don't use it to be effective, which made them overly powerful (TZone and TalStar). Add in the heat, and boom, completely reversed my previous progress 100% and went backwards 50% in the back and side yard. So stupid of me. Having to wait all summer for everything to fade away and dilute down, has not been enjoyable. I will never make that mistake again!

Old 09-26-2017, 01:12 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I dunno. I love using Milorganite on my lawn. I've tried a few synthetics and other organics now and the Milorganite seems to have the best results for me and the deepest greens. I just did a treatment this past Labor day, and i'll either do a Scotts winterizer or another Milorganite treatment around thanksgiving.

I knew what is was, and read a lot of pros/cons about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden