Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times

Advertisements

A little background on my situation. I bought my current home about 18 months ago and it has what I consider to be very nice landscaping. Typical SW Florida landscaping with flowering shrubs and several varieties of palms. My problem is the lawn. The previous owner had nothing done to it for years except to keep it mowed to golf course height. I also have no sprinkler system, unfortunately.

Of course, this allowed weeds and other undesirable stuff to take over the front lawn. The sides and back are livable for now. The back actually has a good stand of thick Bahia with a sprinkling of St. Augustine from my neighbors lawns. I doubt any part of my lawn has seen fertilizer or weed control in many years, a fact that was confirmed by one of my neighbors.

I had a guy quote me $3000 to kill everything in the front and replace with sod. I thought that price was outrageous considering the small lot sizes here. And I’m only talking about one side of the driveway,albeit it is the larger side.

So what I’m looking for are opinions from the experienced lawn people on here as to whether or not I can reseed or overseed this portion, or if sod is indeed the way to go. I want to start a lawn care program but if I apply any type of weed control now I’m going to end up with mostly dirt.

Looking for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 11:45 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Sprinklers have become an issue because of water management. If the front is open with no shade at all, conditions may be that you are better keeping the weeds.

Two quick thoughts - call the local master gardener hotline, or contract with one of the turfgreen companies to see if their treatments can help.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:18 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
The only reason I can see to sod is for quick results. Otherwise, over time, you can kill off the current weeds and re-seed. You can even install sprinklers without too much turf damage, not that it should matter under the circumstances.

Personally, I'd start with plain old fertilizer to see if lawn growth can be kick-started. Of course, the weeds my predominate, in which case you go after them, and then plan to reseed. You could have nice results in months.

Before starting, though, you need to figure out what you want. Prettiest yard in the neighborhood? That would be high maintenance costs. A yard for kids to play in? Low maintenance?

Old 03-31-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The only reason I can see to sod is for quick results. Otherwise, over time, you can kill off the current weeds and re-seed. You can even install sprinklers without too much turf damage, not that it should matter under the circumstances.

Personally, I'd start with plain old fertilizer to see if lawn growth can be kick-started. Of course, the weeds my predominate, in which case you go after them, and then plan to reseed. You could have nice results in months.

Before starting, though, you need to figure out what you want. Prettiest yard in the neighborhood? That would be high maintenance costs. A yard for kids to play in? Low maintenance?
I’m not after the best or prettiest lawn in the neighborhood. No way do I want this costs associated with that. I’m not looking for a golf course lawn either. A sprinkler system is out of the question because water costs here are very high. Everyone complains about that here. I wish the previous owner had a well put in like many of my neighbors did to water their lawns, but they didn’t and that’s another large expense here.

I’m wanting a weed free lawn, or as close to that as I can get that I can manage on my own. I’m retired and have all the time in the world to make this better than it is, I’m just now wanting to sink thousands into it. I’m a patient man and can wait for seed to sprout!

What would you recommend I use to kill the weeds? Roundup kills the grass too, what little grass there remains.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:18 PM

234 posts, read 162,145 times
i used to live in florida and it's crazy how obsessed people are with their lawns there in that state. and because lawns take so much water and with short water supplies during drought months, where i lived you could only water them on certain days. i don't know about you, but i refuse to use poisons like roundup.
they are horrible for the environment. have you thought about growing food instead of grass?

Old 03-31-2018, 01:26 PM

First, talk to your extension agent, and get proper information, not lawn and garden center information.

Second, you might want to see if there are any drought tolerant grasses for your area.

Third, go to your library and see if they have any books with info on lawn renovation.

Fourth, you might investigate hydro-seeding. Not cheap, but much cheaper than sod. This might be an option following roundup if you have hard to kill weeds like sedges or creeping charlie.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:06 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I’m not after the best or prettiest lawn in the neighborhood. No way do I want this costs associated with that. I’m not looking for a golf course lawn either. A sprinkler system is out of the question because water costs here are very high. Everyone complains about that here. I wish the previous owner had a well put in like many of my neighbors did to water their lawns, but they didn’t and that’s another large expense here.

I’m wanting a weed free lawn, or as close to that as I can get that I can manage on my own. I’m retired and have all the time in the world to make this better than it is, I’m just now wanting to sink thousands into it. I’m a patient man and can wait for seed to sprout!

What would you recommend I use to kill the weeds? Roundup kills the grass too, what little grass there remains.
Hi Ron61.

First...Roundup doesn't kill grass. They have a product called "kills weeds, not the lawn". I've used it with great results! It's a nozzle attachment to the hose so you just spray it. Or create a spot spray organic solution.

Second.. Don't rush things, it will take weeks to kill the weeds but it might take years to get a nice lawn. Not sure when it's time to seed new grass there but I'm thinking October-November? That's when you overseed and add starter fertilizer. Then next year you start again and add a stronger fertilizer into the mix.

Lastly... You should watch this guys videos. He's in West Coast Florida. His videos can get addicting if you like outdoor stuff.

P.S - You can get your lawn up to par for under $500! I wouldn't pay $3k even though sod was thrown in. Just take your time and keep up with the steps.

P.S.S - Read lables slowly. I heard St Augustine grass is sensitive to weed control so heads up.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hi Ron61.

First...Roundup doesn't kill grass. They have a product called "kills weeds, not the lawn". I've used it with great results! It's a nozzle attachment to the hose so you just spray it. Or create a spot spray organic solution.
For decades, Roundup(tm) meant a product containing glyphosate, a non-selective herbicide, meaning it kills anything with leaves - most plants.

Now the company that owns the name has launched product line extensions for a wider variety of uses, with different chemicals, including a product for lawn weed killing. Unfortunately for you, according to their website, it only works on northern grasses, and is not available in Florida.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hi Ron61.

Second.. Don't rush things, it will take weeks to kill the weeds but it might take years to get a nice lawn. Not sure when it's time to seed new grass there but I'm thinking October-November? That's when you overseed and add starter fertilizer. Then next year you start again and add a stronger fertilizer into the mix.

Lastly... You should watch this guys videos. He's in West Coast Florida. His videos can get addicting if you like outdoor stuff.

P.S - You can get your lawn up to par for under $500! I wouldn't pay $3k even though sod was thrown in. Just take your time and keep up with the steps.

P.S.S - Read lables slowly. I heard St Augustine grass is sensitive to weed control so heads up.
I did watch a few of the videos you linked. Maybe what I really need is a good dose of patience, along with some practical knowledge from these videos. Thanks for that!

Old 04-01-2018, 09:44 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
Scott's produces a line of products that can kill the weeds and not the grass. They have a series of products for each season. Buy an inexpensive spreader, use the stuff at the right time, follow the directions, and within a year or so the lawn will be much improved for far less than $3000. You said you are retired so you should have the time to do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden