Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,806,639 times

Advertisements

That electric rider uses the same batteries as a wheel chair. Each battery will cost you $200.00........and there are 4 of them. You can't be real smart and buy one of these. Initial cost of $2500.00 and then $800.00 every 3 years for this flimsy framed, plastic crap. After 6 years of ownership, you're out $4100.00 and that's assuming that nothing ever goes wrong with it. You are now in commercial lawn mower territory and a commercial unit like a Gravely will be running when this crap has been recycled into water bottles. The Gravely Compact will cut grass far longer and do it in about 1/3 of the time. No waiting for batteries to charge, just hit the key and go to work. Properly maintained for home owner use, the Gravely will probably be the last mower you ever buy. And it's a zero turn too. Why would anybody throw away that kinda money on this plastic crap electric? Who said it- PT Barnum I think is who most give credit too. There a sucker born every minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,425,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I remember these. Too bad they don't make them now.

As for the topic, a cordless electric mower makes little sense except for maybe a small yard. And then in that case, a corded electric mower is better. More powerful, no battery weight and all the advantages. And yeah the cord is there, but for a small yard it's no big deal. The mower never has to be charged.

The best push more that I have ever used was a 2-stroke Lawn Boy. Very light weight, powerful, will mow all day long and started with one pull. Too bad the government won't allow 2 stroke mowers to be sold anymore.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:07 PM

531 posts, read 448,353 times
I use a corded electric Black & Decker that's about ten years old. No problems, no maintenance, unless you count removing bunches of wet cuttings from the chute. I've never run over the cord although it sometimes gets tangled in the right-side wheels. Only 18 inches, but I don't notice the difference. Wrestling my 21-inch gas mower around the yard is much more work.
My neighbor has a battery-powered mower and says it doesn't finish the yard on one charge. I'm surprised because we both have 80-foot city lots with big houses on them, not much yard.
I did have a reel mower once. It just didn't cut!
Those old Briggs & Strattons were horrible. Unreliable ignition and membrane carbs that cracked while being stored over the winter.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:12 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,112,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
That electric rider uses the same batteries as a wheel chair. Each battery will cost you $200.00........and there are 4 of them. You can't be real smart and buy one of these. Initial cost of $2500.00 and then $800.00 every 3 years for this flimsy framed, plastic crap. After 6 years of ownership, you're out $4100.00 and that's assuming that nothing ever goes wrong with it. You are now in commercial lawn mower territory and a commercial unit like a Gravely will be running when this crap has been recycled into water bottles. The Gravely Compact will cut grass far longer and do it in about 1/3 of the time. No waiting for batteries to charge, just hit the key and go to work. Properly maintained for home owner use, the Gravely will probably be the last mower you ever buy. And it's a zero turn too. Why would anybody throw away that kinda money on this plastic crap electric? Who said it- PT Barnum I think is who most give credit too. There a sucker born every minute.
as of now you are correct, but those suckers are how they work out the bugs, I have an electric walk behind, is it as good in most ways as a gas mower? not yet but they are catching up, most of this tech has a much higher price tag as any new tech usually does, the same arguments you stated were made against gas powered vehicles and farm equipment at around the turn of the century, cars were basically the playtoys of the rich, only the wealthiest of plantations used gas powered farming equipment, and eventually the tech got better. the fist car was invented in 1885 by karl benz, but they were not affordable to the average person until the 1920's and not adopted by the majority until the late 30's, here in Ft.worth texas people were still riding horses and buggies into town as late as the 40's (seen photos of downtown where car's and horses sharing the same streets taken in the 30's). the first digital cameras were crap, put the people who bought those are the reason your cellphone takes such great photos these days.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:34 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,228,209 times
My Honda HRX mower starts first time, every time. I wouldn't own a mower that took as much effort to start as OP describes. Plus for a gas mower it's super quiet. It's great we all have so many choices isn't it?

Old 09-07-2017, 02:31 PM

44,284 posts, read 19,946,592 times
I have a reel (manual) mower and a cordless electric mower. I only used the reel mower for a couple of years. My trees shed lots of tiny twigs and bits of wood, and whenever a little piece of wood got in the reels it would stop dead and I'd get jabbed in the stomach by the mower handle! If you don't have a lot of old trees on your property, a manual mower would probably be fine.

For over 20 years I used a corded electric mower and it worked great. But I finally got tired of dragging the cord all around and worrying about running over it (never did, though).

Two years ago I purchased a cordless electric. It's great, and my mowing goes much faster now without having to take the time to move a power cord about. The only problem is that the battery is very heavy, making the mower really difficult for me to push up the incline in my front yard. When I get a little older, I don't think I'll be able to push it uphill anymore. If I'd realized the mower/battery was that heavy before I purchased it, I would have shopped around more for one that didn't weigh as much.

I like electric mowers because they are quiet, they always start with the flip of a switch, the blades stop immediately when I let go of the switch, I never have to worry about having fuel on hand and they don't stink up the air with gasoline.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:50 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,005,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

As for the topic, a cordless electric mower makes little sense except for maybe a small yard. And then in that case, a corded electric mower is better. More powerful, no battery weight and all the advantages. And yeah the cord is there, but for a small yard it's no big deal. The mower never has to be charged.

The best push more that I have ever used was a 2-stroke Lawn Boy. Very light weight, powerful, will mow all day long and started with one pull. Too bad the government won't allow 2 stroke mowers to be sold anymore.

Toro also had the aluminum deck years ago. The problem with the aluminum decks was, that if you hit a rock, you could crack off the whole wheel and a good hunk of deck! I saw mowers that were almost new and were then junk - unless I could match up the blade with an older steel deck. The decks were so expensive to replace that it was not worth it to buy another deck.

Yes the 2 cycle mowers were light; even with a steel deck. Their biggest problems were their emissions. Too many people today with allergies or asthma.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:19 PM

531 posts, read 448,353 times
Come to think of it, steam power would be best. A very small turbine. Quiet, clean, light, no cord, no vibration.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:45 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,005,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
Come to think of it, steam power would be best. A very small turbine. Quiet, clean, light, no cord, no vibration.
Back at our hunting camp there is one old steam boiler from an old sawmill that operated in the beginning of the last century. I don't think it weights more than two or three tons? If you are up to hauling it out you would have the first part of your quiet, no cord, new mower! Not too light and I don't know about clean since it would require a lot of wood or coal?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,020,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Those wind-up types taught many a Christian man how to swear! lolol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden