Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2021, 05:16 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times

Advertisements

It is in southern Wisconsin. It is a deciduous tree with leaves that have interesting veins.
It is not a juniper or evergreen of any sort. Again, it has leaves.

I am interested to know what this is because I have a spot where one of these would be perfect. A spot where I had a nice Skyrocket juniper that was damaged by a heavy wet snow. I did some cutting/pruning to restore it, or save it, but it has never looked good again.

So... what is this cool, tall, narrow tree I spotted in small town Wisconsin? Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone identify this tall, narrow tree???-tree-monroe-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 06:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
It resembles a Lombardy poplar from a distance. They grow in northern Illinois so almost certainly in southern Wisconsin.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:55 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
From Trees of WI:

https://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/he...s/popnig01.htm

How to identify trees:

https://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/

Old 05-31-2021, 09:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Too hard to tell from that distance and under such dark conditions but I agree it does look from that distance like it might be some kind of poplar tree .... only there are several species of trees in the poplar family. A more close up picture of the tree in full bright sunlight (so we can see the correct shade of green of the leaves in bright daylight), and a much closer up picture of one individual mature leaf so we can see the finer details and colour of the leaf would be helpful for identification. If it has any kind of flowers or seed pods on it then close up pictures of those would also be helpful. If you could also take a close up picture in bright sunlight of the bark on the tree trunk that would be an extra bonus.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:56 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
It is in southern Wisconsin. It is a deciduous tree with leaves that have interesting veins.
It is not a juniper or evergreen of any sort. Again, it has leaves.

I am interested to know what this is because I have a spot where one of these would be perfect. A spot where I had a nice Skyrocket juniper that was damaged by a heavy wet snow. I did some cutting/pruning to restore it, or save it, but it has never looked good again.

So... what is this cool, tall, narrow tree I spotted in small town Wisconsin? Thanks for any help.

If the leaves look like this, it's likely a Lombardy poplar.

They need full sun and ground that drains well, and it's a bad idea to plant one near a drainfield or a sewer line, as their roots are invasive. They do turn a bright golden yellow in the fall though.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:38 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Thanks guys. I do indeed think this is a Lombardy Poplar. Sorry about the poor pic, and lack of more detailed pics. I asked my wife to take 2 pics... one showing the full size of tree, and one close up showing leaves in detail. She totally cobbled up the first one, and until I edited/cropped the pic as it mostly showed street, a house, and me walking across the street with grandkids ahead. As for a closer up/bark and leaf detail one she did a poor job with that one too.

After reading up on this species, I have ruled it out. Two problems; it can get to 50-60 feet, which would just be too tall for where I want it between 2 houses fairly close together, plus apparently these trees are very prone to some sort of canker disease that often limits their lifespan to only 10-15 years.

I may just try another skyrocket juniper in that spot (it looked awesome before it was damaged). Just gotta cut the existing one down and get the stump out. Recently dug out 9 old privet stumps and it was not easy, even with a SawzAll and 9 in pruning blade to cut the hard roots and wood that were underground.

@ dozerbear, the leaf *did* look like that.

Old 06-01-2021, 02:31 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Thanks guys. I do indeed think this is a Lombardy Poplar. Sorry about the poor pic, and lack of more detailed pics. I asked my wife to take 2 pics... one showing the full size of tree, and one close up showing leaves in detail. She totally cobbled up the first one, and until I edited/cropped the pic as it mostly showed street, a house, and me walking across the street with grandkids ahead. As for a closer up/bark and leaf detail one she did a poor job with that one too.

After reading up on this species, I have ruled it out. Two problems; it can get to 50-60 feet, which would just be too tall for where I want it between 2 houses fairly close together, plus apparently these trees are very prone to some sort of canker disease that often limits their lifespan to only 10-15 years.

I may just try another skyrocket juniper in that spot (it looked awesome before it was damaged). Just gotta cut the existing one down and get the stump out. Recently dug out 9 old privet stumps and it was not easy, even with a SawzAll and 9 in pruning blade to cut the hard roots and wood that were underground.

@ dozerbear, the leaf *did* look like that.
It's small enough you could possibly pull it out with a vehicle that has a tow hitch.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:41 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
I'd get rid of it. As mention before, they grow to about 50ft. Once it reaches that height, it will cost a fortune to have it removed. You don't want a tree that tall to blow over because it's bound to do some damage. I know this from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden