Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:40 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Black Krim. My favorite mater, and we couldn't find one this year!
We got seeds for our Black Krim from Mr. Tomatohead. Alas, it appears his site has been hacked or he gave it up, because Norton warned me about an attack and didn't let me see the page. I checked eBay and there are some sellers of Black Krim seeds there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:30 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
OP if you don't want a lot of tomatoes, you can prune the tomato vines and / or pick off some of the fruit as it sets. That will cut back on the amount of fruit but make what is left bigger.

Shhh, its a secret but It's actually ok to throw tomatoes away if you don't want to eat all of them and don't have anyone to give them to.

Or maybe just skip growing tomatoes and buy a couple of them at the farmer's market.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:52 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,398,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP if you don't want a lot of tomatoes, you can prune the tomato vines and / or pick off some of the fruit as it sets. That will cut back on the amount of fruit but make what is left bigger.

Shhh, its a secret but It's actually ok to throw tomatoes away if you don't want to eat all of them and don't have anyone to give them to.

Or maybe just skip growing tomatoes and buy a couple of them at the farmer's market.
That's what we had to do, to augment our pathetic harvest.

Thanks, Lori, for the suggestion...we can't grow from seed now, but maybe someday.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
We tried San Maranzo paste this year. Yikes, I am so tired to making sauce to freeze and my neighbors don't want anymore either. We have donated some to our local nutrition program for the needy. Tomatoes are too acidic for me to tolerate more than one or two a week but I do love them. The area where the black cherries were planted last year sent up lots of wild tomatoes too so are having to use them for pot luck dishes just to get rid of them.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:10 AM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Each year a friend buys and raises plants with lights and all the rest and then plants one for us and adds nutrients to the soil etc. We will just decline next year. They have their own huge garden and I'll just grab 1-2 tomatoes every now and then when they are giving them away.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times
I love toms & would eat them every day. This year we bought 2 plants, one roma, which has given us maybe a dozen tomatoes all year. There are a few green ones left.
We also bought a German Johnson, & so far, it has 3 good size green ones still growing & plenty of flowers left. It is still hot here (80 to 90) so I am hoping to get at least the green ones ripened. I am very disappointed in our yield. I have still been buying tomatoes at the produce stand or at the store. But at buying the plant from the nursery for about $7, they are 3 expensive tomatoes.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:02 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,442 times
So much for my sarcastic remark of any variety that I grow. Seems like everyone had the same season I had.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:52 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,398,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
So much for my sarcastic remark of any variety that I grow. Seems like everyone had the same season I had.

Oh, it was pathetic here in Zone 7A.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
the only tomatoe plant that did anything for me this year was yellow pear I had enough to give some to friends and the rest did squat maybe two or three tomatoes per plant and I had ten plants out there . Yes bad year for tomatoes . hopefully this coming year will be better it stinks to go through all that work and only get minimal production .

Old 09-27-2017, 07:46 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
the only tomatoe plant that did anything for me this year was yellow pear I had enough to give some to friends and the rest did squat maybe two or three tomatoes per plant and I had ten plants out there . Yes bad year for tomatoes . hopefully this coming year will be better it stinks to go through all that work and only get minimal production .
And on top of that, we had tons of hornworms on our 6 plants! I could hardly keep up with them. TG for the parasitic wasps that kill them. But boy, they can do a lot of damage to a plant before the wasps kill them. Between the cool, rainy start to the summer and the hornworms, my plants look awful. "Pathetic" was the word my husband used.

We got a fair number of yellow pear tomatoes, but the dang things always split right away. I don't care for them, anyway. Too boring for my taste. (No offense if you like them!) And that yellow pear plant looks just as pathetic as all the other plants. The only strong producer, despite the plant looking bad, was our Super Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. But we got about 1/3 the yield we got last year. Oh, well. There is always next year to look forward to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden