Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,478 times

Advertisements

I too am addicted to orchids - have about thirty. The only ones I can't grow are Lady Slippers - I've managed to kill more expensive Lady Slippers than I'll ever admit to my husband.

Here are some essentials for growing orchids - some of it repeat advice.

An east facing window is the best.

Twice a week is too much water for most orchids. Once a week is about right - feel the medium - it should not be damp when you water.

Cool at night is better.

Good air circulation is important.

Watch for scale insect.

Fertilize weakly as you water.

Vanda care my way:
Outside all summer (in Charlotte starting last week) hanging in trees in wood slatted orchid boxes with plenty of air circulating around them.
Water daily in hot summer with light spray on hose.
Fertilize once a week.
Bring into the house as soon as the temps hit 55º at night.
Winter hanging in ficus trees in east facing window.
Mine bloom two to three to four times a year.

Orchids are one of the most satisfying plants to cultivate once you get the hang of it. The flowers are so gorgeous I can contemplate them for long periods.

Orchid lovers should try to visit the US Botanic Garden's orchid exhibit. It's breathtaking. For a preview go to their site and take a virtual tour. We go to DC often and we always spend at least an hour in the orchid exhibit.

Also for those of you who ive near North Carolina, the Daniel B. Stowe gardens near Charlotte has recently opened their Orchid Pavilion which is stunning.

Enjoy your orchids everyone - they add so much beauty and serentity to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 AM

190 posts, read 764,293 times
BarbJ
What so you so if you find scale? I have a plant I got last year while in bloom, during the winter it got these scale spots along the center of the leaf, however it has bloomed again for me but only 4 flowers. Is this what you are talking about when you say scale insect. It looks like little white ish bumps, or warts.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 PM

They start out white and soft when young, but morph into insects wit hard tortoise-like shells as they age. I do two things. First, I pick them off with my fingernails (carefully examining the blooms) then I wash the leaves with an insecticidal soap. Usually this does it until the next infestation a few months later. I don't know where they come from. I know that my spider plants are ofter infested with them, so maybe I should avoid this plant. I find it kind of a challenge to beat them!!

Last edited by BarbJ; 05-07-2008 at 07:22 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 PM

There's something I forgot to say about raising orchids. About once a month, I soak each orchid for about one half hour in a weak solution of fertilizer and water. I was taught this trick by a professional orchid grower.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 PM

62 posts, read 180,186 times
They really like air around their roots, too. I have several that have been in different containers and the ones that do best have the most holes in the sides of the containers. "Orchid pots" with slots in the side are important if you are not using an orchid basket made from wood slats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden