Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 10:34 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times

Advertisements

over the last 4-5 weeks I keep getting mushrooms in my yard - suburbs of Charlotte. I've always thought they'd pop up when the ground was really wet - but not the case - it's like they bottlerocket through the ground all of a sudden. One evening, I rolled my garbage can back from the curb, left it in it's place and went inside - 45-60 minutes later I brought the dog out and there were mushrooms popping through the gravel - they hadn't been there earlier?!?!? Last night - same thing. I took some trash out around 7 and when I took the dog out around 9:30 - same spot - popping through the gravel. and in the garden area near the deck... what is causing this and what can I do to prevent them? .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Mushrooms are technically fungal (fungus) fruiting bodies. They are pretty harmless (and pretty in themselves, IMHO) unless eaten. Only a few are poisonous, but some can be quickly fatal, and are hard to tell from the harmless ones.

They're part of nature's cycle, breaking down all sorts of dead stuff, so I tend to leave them alone and admire their beauty. If my pets were to like them, they would go. Expect them to keep popping up, though, because the parental fungal mass can be quite large.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:43 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
I've got this colony of them that keeps popping up in my front yard. Not sure how to get rid of them (they're popping up in my grass) - can you actually pull up the root system? Or is that a futile endeavor?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:11 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I think it's a futile endeavor to try to get rid of them. The root systems of mushrooms are most often like a giant interconnected felt mat underground that extends for acres and acres and sometimes miles and miles. Most fungal root systems are beneficial to the soil habitat and other vegetation so if you manage to get rid of a fungal root system somewhere in one spot it might cause more harm than good to the rest of the soil habitat. Mushroom fruiting bodies never last long, they disappear very quickly.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:26 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think it's a futile endeavor to try to get rid of them. The root systems of mushrooms are most often like a giant interconnected felt mat underground that extends for acres and acres and sometimes miles and miles. Most fungal root systems are beneficial to the soil habitat and other vegetation so if you manage to get rid of a fungal root system somewhere in one spot it might cause more harm than good to the rest of the soil habitat. Mushroom fruiting bodies never last long, they disappear very quickly.
The largest ever went for 2.4 miles: BBC - Earth - The largest living thing on Earth is a humongous fungus That's still plenty big for me!

Also, the part underground is not a root system. It is the actual plant. The part above ground is a fruiting body, as I said earlier. But yes, they can get quite large, but in urban/suburban settings, they're limited to the plot dimensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden