Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:36 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times

Advertisements

I planted this Lilac in earl spring and it has been doing fine until just recently. Last week. Noticed the leaves had a milky white appearance so I sprayed them with a fungicide and now about one week later, they appear to look like he same however some of the leaves appear to be curling.

Could it be from too much water? It's been very dry so I have been watering every third day or so, any suggestions??? Thanks

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-14-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 11:57 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,390 times
just off the top of my pointy little head I would suggest you MIGHT have powdery mildew a fairly common problem with this plant. no doubt there are various means of control both chemical and cultural which can be fairly easily looked up on that internet thing that all the kids are so crazy about nowadays (LOL) but I would further suggest that since your plant will probably soon be losing all it's leaves sooner or later this fall to simply collect all the fallen (maybe) infected leaves and completely remove them (burning is a good way if you can). so there is at least somewhat less chance of re-infection next year. FWIW, last year many of one of my (Asian) deciduous dogwoods looked rather the same around this time last fall and this year came back just fine and (so far) look completely normal.

as I recall some have suggested a link between high humidity in the air AND dryness in the roots as promoting the disease so you might check the soil around your tree to see if your current watering is in reality actually not enough OR perhaps too much. too damp a soil may cause root diseases which can ALSO produce symptoms of foliage discoloration and die back, BTW. since autumn humidity and soil moisture (or lack of it) can vary from year to year how much trouble you may be having with this disease (if you have it in the first place)may range from nothing much at all one year to much more serious during another.

hope this is of some help. good luck to you and your plant.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 10-02-2017 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-02-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
just off the top of my pointy little head I

as I recall some have suggested a link between high humidity in the air AND dryness in the roots as promoting the disease so you might check the soil around your tree to see if your current watering is in reality actually not enough OR perhaps too much. too damp a soil may cause root diseases which can ALSO produce symptoms of foliage discoloration and die back, BTW. since autumn humidity and soil moisture (or lack of it) can vary from year to year how much trouble you may be having with this disease (if you have it in the first place)may range from nothing much at all one year to much more serious during another.

hope this is of some help. good luck to you and your plant.
I will dig a bit to determine if the soil is wet or dry since it is clay ( I mixed in some compost When planted )
since it's hard to tell if I'm giving it too much or two little water.

I just planted two Allegheny Viburnums and they are loving lots of water. If I stop for two or three days the leaves will instantly droop. I love shrubs that communicate like that with me since I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for your response!!

Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Powdery mildew.

That is one moldy bush. Where ever it is that you live this bush is not liking it there. This will likely be an ongoing problem. You might consider removing it and replacing it with a more compatible shrub.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Powdery mildew.

That is one moldy bush. Where ever it is that you live this bush is not liking it there. This will likely be an ongoing problem. You might consider removing it and replacing it with a more compatible shrub.
Our location is SW Virginia so I am not sure why this plant is covered with the white mold? None of our bushes have any kind of mold or issue. No other viable solutions? Thanks!

Old 10-02-2017, 08:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I enlarged the pictures and zoomed in. That's powdery mildew, and it isn't only on the plant, it's also visible on that black coloured mulch you have around it. I suspect the mildew spores came in on that mulch. That plant is badly stricken and all of the leaves are toast.

Are there other plants in your garden that have that black mulch laid down under them? If so I'd suggest you closely check all of those plants and the mulch for mildew too.

If it was up to me I'd thoroughly rake up and remove all that black mulch and toss it out as garbage or burn it. I'd strip all the effected leaves off the lilac now to help prevent the mildew spores from spreading all over the rest of the trunk and branches. Then drench the plant and the bare soil under it with an antifungal solution. Keep an eye out for mildew on the soil around the lilac for the next few weeks afterwards and if there's no more sign of the mildew then put down a different kind of mulch (that is sterilized) around the lilac before winter sets in. Then wait and see if the lilac comes back okay next spring.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Our location is SW Virginia so I am not sure why this plant is covered with the white mold? None of our bushes have any kind of mold or issue. No other viable solutions? Thanks!

You could dig those suckers out, replace the topsoil and replant with a mildew-resistant lilac cultivar. Most lilacs have a touch of fungus among us but only a plant that is very stressed gets that sick. Either the soil is wrong for them (they need rich loamy soil with regular doses of water) or they're not getting enough light, or SOMETHING is radically wrong.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:59 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Cliffie is right. Lilacs don't generally adapt well to the south. OP, you're not from around here (there) are you?

Old 10-03-2017, 09:08 PM

The Lilac gets full sun, all day long and it was doing well until the few weeks. I will remove and look at the mulch as it could be full of fungus but where would that have come from? Perhaps it's too thick and I have been over watering it?

I did spray the leaves with an anti fungal last week so perhaps I should reapply the spray. And yes, I am not from this area, originally, however I did pick up the Lilac locally so I would think it would grow here without any issues?

Old 10-03-2017, 09:27 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Fungus can lay dormant anywhere until the right conditions come along to activate it, such as high humidity along with too much water.
Read this helpful info...
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/signs-o...ant-49515.html

Last edited by wit-nit; 10-03-2017 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden