Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:04 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,893,951 times

Advertisements

Hi

I found these broadleaf evergreen plants that seem to survive our zone 7 ( Reno, NV) well, even during this severe winter.
Can somebody help me identify these plants? Thanks

This one do very well in the cold. No leaf damage whatsoever. Some kind of laurel, Portugal?

This one has very tropical looking leaf.

Darker leaf, smaller tree

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 01:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,338,137 times
first plant looks more like a photinia perhaps. p. serrulata. second looks rather like a viburnum of some sort maybe v. rhytidophyllum or even a hybrid of same like "Alleghany or "willowood"). third could be another kind of photinia (maybe p. x fraserii) or perhaps one of the bigger forms of rhaphiolepis ("india hawthorn") OR a hybrid of both (there are such things in the trade).

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-24-2017 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 05:57 PM

Thank!

I found this website with pictures of several Viburnum:

Viburnum species comparisons
Unfortunately, nothing that really match plant 2.

"Allegheny' is kind of close. This is the picture from Missouri garden

Last edited by Nn2036; 01-25-2017 at 06:56 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 06:20 PM

sometimes that's the way the i.d. game goes and sometimes most especially with hybrids which can "blend" characteristics of the parent plants in unexpected ways. my guess is that you are looking at some form of the hybrid v. x rhytidophylloides (like but perhaps not identical to "Allegheny" or maybe "willowwood" and there may be other named forms as well). on of the parents of this hybrid, v. rhytidophyllum is probably just as hardy and can get even taller (to 15') with leaves up to 10" long and is well worth looking up and possibly planting v.x pragense is another large evergreen shrub of somewhat similar appearance but with somewhat smaller leaves that might be useful for your area.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:51 PM

This bush is next to the tree. Initially I thought it is azaleas/ rhododendrons but now I think it may be a Viburnum as well

Old 01-26-2017, 07:57 AM

50,432 posts, read 64,212,276 times
I do not think viburnum are evergreen, but the one does look like verbena, and there are so many different kinds.
One of your bushes is the same as I am trying to identify in my zone 8 yard. We do not think they are photinia (aka red tip) but they do look similar. Our best guess so far is Cleyera.

The third one looks like a rhododendron to me.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
This bush is next to the tree. Initially I thought it is azaleas/ rhododendrons but now I think it may be a Viburnum as well

it is a rhododendron of some kind and looking rather chilly not only because of the snow on it but because of the dark color of the leaves which appear slightly rolled as well---a common response to cold weather in the group.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do not think viburnum are evergreen, but the one does look like verbena, and there are so many different kinds.
One of your bushes is the same as I am trying to identify in my zone 8 yard. We do not think they are photinia (aka red tip) but they do look similar. Our best guess so far is Cleyera.

actually there are a number of evergreen viburnums in addition to the ones already mentioned like davidii, japonicum, suspensum, awabukii (commonly sold in a slection known as "chindo") and several others as well---mostly cultivated in USDA 7 and up.. if you are referring to "lemon verbena" (aloysia triphylla) the plant has narrower leaves with a distinct "lemon" smell. you might be correct about the cleyera (c. japonica) though it is not especially common in western u.s. gardens. to add to the confusion there are two different "(Japanese) cleyera" in gardens---c. japonica AND ternostroemia gymnathera.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-26-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I look up the Cleyera. Their leaves seem thicker and have smooth edge. Your plant and mine seem to have leaves with serrated edge.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:28 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,060,421 times
Although not mentioned or pictured, some hollies would probably grow OK in Reno too (hardy blue hollies, maybe even chinese holly, I. cornuta.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden