Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Perhaps you can advise? A friend's wife had given me a spider plant in a 10" pot that did well for 6 months or so and then half the pot just died, I thought the whole thing was a goner but it started doing well and has put a number of those stems bearing baby plants over the side yet hasn't filled in the half of the pot that died. Should I be repotting it or?
I'd repot it. And if it's only filling half the pot, repot it down. Too much water at their roots is just as bad - maybe worse - than too dry. They'll recover just fine from too dry.

When you repot it, you will see that spider plants have numerous water storage structures on their roots. Just tear off the dead/brown/mushy ones. The healthy ones resemble elongated pearl onions.

Spider plants are tough, as you are learning. I only water mine when they are beginning to wilt. Actually, I'm so familiar with mine that I can tell by the color of their leaves when they would like more water. I saturate the soil well, then don't water again until I can see that they are asking for it.

You can keep spider plants in pretty much any size pot that fits the space you have. I have a couple baby plants in 2" pots, a few more in 4" pots, and mama is in an 8" pot. I could keep all of them indefinitely in those pots. Just divide them when they get crowded. Give the ones you don't want away. There's not a thing wrong with having numerous spider plants, they're very decorative.

In my view, there is no better house plant, and few are as good.

When you are treating them right, and they are in the right spot, you will be rewarded with droopy stalks of pretty, small white flowers. Mama is just starting to produce those now for me. When she's done, I'll divide her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden