Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 01:25 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Winter took a toll on many plants and bamboo is one of them. My neighbor was about to go to the dump... but I stopped him for a minute..

I'll cut these down and use them for the potted peppers next yr or small plants in ground.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 01:48 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
First, it's freezing and raining and only my greens and lettuce like it. Then, it's sweltering. Even the peppers don't. Waaaa.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:59 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Was too hot and humid to do much outside today. Just cant win. Lol. Dewpoints in the 70s. Oppressive. Good for the joints but it drains me out this weather and gives me migraines.
Same here. You can't go from sixties to mid eighties with a ton of humidity. All I did was refill the hummer feeders.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:16 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Boy are those bags heavy when they are wet! I'm still afraid to cough for fear of getting a hernia from all those stomach muscles I twisted up, trying to get those bags out of my trunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Lol i bought StaGreen potting soil back in Februrary. Big mistake. It was water logged. What should of been like 30lbs ended up like 75lbs. I took it anyway but it was a pain from store to car, car to porch, porch to backyard.
LOL... One good thing about the Big Box Retailers and Home Centers is that their bagged products tend to stay drier as they are generally under some sort of roof platform or cover. We tend not to buy flowers and plants there, preferring dedicated nurseries and garden centers for these items.

Raining here again today!!...

One...um...silver lining... in all this rain is it is only one condition among two where I can safely garden outside without fear of possible mockingbird attack from the nesting pair in on of my cedar shrubs (they hunker down in the rain). Only other two scenarios is if there is a crow or raven flying nearby, or a neighbor's cat in the yard. Then it's "all hands on deck" for surface warfare or areal combat with no one left over to go after myself...

Can you folks convince them we have no desire to eat their babies...? Or maybe you all are playing a practical joke on us, and have TOLD them we are after the babies so you can sit back and amuse yourselves as we duck and dive for cover...

Old 06-04-2018, 08:22 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
And here I am, concerned about all the birdies not nesting in my yard. Maybe it's not so bad after all!

Old 06-09-2018, 12:25 PM

June 9, 2018:

1 Word to describe what's been happening. Sunless. I wont even show the tomatoes. Horrible. Cukes. Horrible. No growth. No Sun. 107 hours of sun since May 12th. We've been lucky to get more than 5 hours of it during a particular day. Big hit on the garden. Good news is it hasn't been too hot and humid.

Top View on this rare sunny morning.

Fave Beans doing awesome. Love their blooms

Potato Flowers

Radish. I got Radish plants next to my cukes to deter beetles. It works.. I just need the Cukes to grow though. lol

Garlic

Hot Peppers in the pots doing great

Old 06-09-2018, 01:02 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Very peculiar weather, I agree. All I can say is, my potatoes never flowered like that, nor did my radishes ever look as good.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:09 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
have had a lot of rain here at night so tomatoes are doing okay so far I must confess I picked some green big ones and put them in the pantry in the dark so they will ripen .

Old 06-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Very peculiar weather, I agree. All I can say is, my potatoes never flowered like that, nor did my radishes ever look as good.
Neither did mine. At least I don't remember they did.. So I googled it and here's what I found..

"If you find your potato plant flowering, you might even be able to grow a true potato plant, which doesn’t carry the same characteristics as the parent plant.

Potato plants produce flowers during the end of their growing season. These turn into the true fruit of the plant, which resemble small green tomatoes. Potato plant flowering is a normal occurrence, but the flowers usually just dry up and fall off rather than producing fruit.

Although the fruit doesn’t harm the growth of the tubers, the little fruits can be a dangerous attraction to children. Where potato plants turned into tomatoes, the fruits create additional interest to the leafy greens. That said, nightshade plants have high levels of a toxin called solanine. This is a poisonous substance that can cause illness in people, especially children.

In areas where children are at play, it is best to remove the fruit and the temptation from eager little hands. The fruit’s resemblance to sweet cherry tomatoes can pose a hazard to little ones."

And here's another few flowering. Have to say, pretty!

Lettuce on the left is Butternut. 1st year growing this type. Very sweet. Does taste like butter. Leaves very fragile and silky like. They fold over easy so a bit hard to wash as a bunch.

Spinach didn't make it.
Kale slowly growing.

Mmmmm. Love just stepping outside and grabbing a snack...or salad.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:51 AM

Quick graph update. Soil temp hovering between 63°-68° mostly past couple weeks. Not much above 70F yet.

Warm enough to germinate but man it needs sun to really get some growth going. Cool weather crops doing ok. Our Max temps been swinging but the soil seems to follow the lows more. Had a couple nights in the 40s last week.

Yesterday 0 Hours of Sun.

Overcast again this morning with another stalled front..

Only 9 Sunny Mornings since May 12th (4 weeks). Repeat that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden