Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 12:59 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
The front is just exiting my area as I type. Looks like six inches for us also. Okay, I've had enough!
Yup.. The front slid south of us yesterday and a storm that formed over Virginia rode along the front. We were on the cold side of course. Islip Long Island now has 65" of snow for the season. Nuts. It was Bridgeport, CT snowiest April day tied with 1982. Impressive event. I was done with this 1 month ago. lol. Hopefully its the last now. Gees.

3pm and there's still snow everywhere. Birds are having a hard day. They are hanging around underneath the Pine and Spruce where it's melted now.

Hard to see but there's a blue jay bottom left.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 04:06 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Not so fast buddy. There is talk of more snow on the way for next week. Notice this is April 2nd.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm sorry I cant see it what was napping and behind you . by the way I saw an eagle today and a turkey ....

It was a squirrel on the lower branch.
Eagles are rare to see here but we do have Turkeys. Very cool you saw them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncliving60 View Post
What a great gardening journal! One of my neighbors uses peppers to make hot pepper jelly. It’s very tasty on cream cheese and crackers. Can’t wait to read more!
Thanks! Thanks for the idea, Mmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Wow...Cambium, seedling look great. As does your set-up.

Now pleeeeeez MAKE IT STOP SNOWING.
Thanks! And yeah...Make it stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Wow, Cam, your seedlings are gorgeous. Glad you were able to get some tilling in before another round of snow! We have had odd weather lately, but nothing totally unusual.

Thanks! Check out some stats on this snow event. Will look forward to your Strawberry pics! I miss doing them. Just didn't have room for the amount I eat of them. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Not so fast buddy. There is talk of more snow on the way for next week. Notice this is April 2nd.
I know, I been ignoring it! Shhh!

Mid Afternoon now Day # 2 and there's still snow on the ground and its raining! It's nuts for here at the coast. It is thinning out now. We never have 2 days in a row with snow staying on the ground. Temps are in the 30s. Sun is hiding behind the clouds.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 PM

April 3, 2018: It's Time to Transplant the Eggplants and Sweet Peppers.

Who needs a table when you have a floor? lol

So basically all I'm doing is putting some MG Potting soil at the bottom of the red cups, putting the plant in there, and filling up with more MG Potting Soil. They'll have more room, more soil and more nutrition now. But still 6 weeks to go outside.

The root ball...or square.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:39 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Hey Mr Green thumb! Looking good.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:07 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
Wow those peppers are really beautiful! Clearly doing something right! It's hard to think with all the snow and cold they'll be going outside in 5-6 weeks! That's, of course, if winter decides to finally get out of here.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:21 PM

April 5, 2018: Soil Temp 39°F at 8am.

Took advantage of the sunny day today (1st time with sun in 4 days!)

42°F with a strong Northerly Wind. Felt like 30s but I didn't mind as I worked up a sweat.

Bed #1 Tilled and done.

Look what I pulled out of there! TREE ROOTS! Depleting my soil of nutrients! And giving plant roots a hard time. 1 yr off and this is what happens??

The culprit.. Dilemma Dilemma . Might have to take the Maple and Cherry down. Not only for the root issue but it is close to the house and starting to shade this bed in the mornings.

Last edited by Cambium; 04-05-2018 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 02:11 PM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
That is exactly why we switched to containers only! Those underground tumbleweeds...ick.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:25 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
That's some hard work getting those roots out of the ground! Better you than me! We just had our yard mowed, power raked and aerated and it's amazing how much cleaner it looks. I am looking forward to a much healthier lawn this season if the drought doesn't worsen as predicted..

Agree with Non re containers - negates all that in-ground work! Ever gonna switch to raised beds, Cam?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
That is exactly why we switched to containers only! Those underground tumbleweeds...ick.

I assume you have a lot of trees around? Once you get rid of the source and if you keep up with tilling it's not an issue. I took last yr off and I noticed the difference.

Quote:
That's some hard work getting those roots out of the ground!

Actually wasn't because the soil was soft and they weren't huge roots. They got cut easily with the shovel and I just pulled them out. Good exercise anyway.

Quote:
We just had our yard mowed, power raked and aerated and it's amazing how much cleaner it looks. I am looking forward to a much healthier lawn this season if the drought doesn't worsen as predicted..

Already the 1st mow? My lawn just started greening up now. write that down in your garden journal! Fun to keep track year over yr.
My 1st Mows are:

March 29, 2012.
April 20, 2013.
April 25, 2014.
April 30, 2015.
April 15, 2016.
April 30, 2017
????, 2018

Quote:
Agree with Non re containers - negates all that in-ground work! Ever gonna switch to raised beds, Cam?
I thought about it but I like the "farm" and earth look. But I did build 2 of them so maybe when I get older I'll want the raised beds. Not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden