Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:22 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,696,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Already the 1st mow? My lawn just started greening up now. write that down in your garden journal! Fun to keep track year over yr.
My 1st Mows are:

March 29, 2012.
April 20, 2013.
April 25, 2014.
April 30, 2015.
April 15, 2016.
April 30, 2017
????, 2018

I thought about it but I like the "farm" and earth look. But I did build 2 of them so maybe when I get older I'll want the raised beds. Not yet.
Well, first mow is relative - it's still largely dormant. I hired a well-reputed local guy to come out and power rake (de-thatch) and aerate and he threw in a mow at no cost. I assume with the power raking and all it was probably necessary to pick everything up anyway. The yard was a MESS with some patches of long green growth and segments of old tomato and pepper plants strewn about that I never picked up. Add in a scattering of decaying leaves and a few small tumbleweeds and it looked abandoned. An hour of his time and it looks amazing - very motivating for me to get out and get things further tidied.

My first mow, truth be told, isn't even usually until around Mother's Day. Mid-May is when everything around here really kicks into high gear because we usually get quite a lot of rain and temps start to rise significantly. Nighttime temperatures in April are chilly enough that things are still pretty yellow/brown through the majority of the month.

I love your garden and think it looks great in-ground. I am very excited to see how everything does this season. Gardens are constantly transitioning, so do what works for you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Gee Look...

April 6, 2018. Why not more snow? Sure.. Soil temp under 40° still. Maybe my cool weather crops will go in next month. lol

34° outside at lunchtime. (normal max is mid 50s this time of yr)

Drove by the golf course near here earlier..

Spoiler

Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I assume you have a lot of trees around? Once you get rid of the source and if you keep up with tilling it's not an issue. I took last yr off and I noticed the difference.

Actually wasn't because the soil was soft and they weren't huge roots. They got cut easily with the shovel and I just pulled them out. Good exercise anyway.

Already the 1st mow? My lawn just started greening up now. write that down in your garden journal! Fun to keep track year over yr.
My 1st Mows are:

March 29, 2012.
April 20, 2013.
April 25, 2014.
April 30, 2015.
April 15, 2016.
April 30, 2017
????, 2018

I thought about it but I like the "farm" and earth look. But I did build 2 of them so maybe when I get older I'll want the raised beds. Not yet.

We have a lot of trees, and I'm not getting rid of them. No tiller, either. Containers are the way to go for us; even raised beds were no better.

We're supposed to get more snow, too. @__@

Old 04-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Forgot to post these yesterday. Right after I went inside 2 Robins had a feast in the freshly tilled garden bed. Lots of worms.

Peekeeboo

There's the mommy. I think. Looks like a big belly. Wonder where the nest is

And the Daddy

Old 04-07-2018, 08:23 AM

April 7, 2018: Weekend Update::

Lights are on only from 6am-6pm. I have a fan blowing on them for about 2hrs a day now since they are older and can handle more wind. Trying to simulate a breezy day but nothing is like an outside breeze though.

Hot Peppers doing well.

Lemon Basil.. Not sure how to transplant this actually. Should I just thin out and leave in this container or pull a block out and put in a pot? Still too early to go outside.

Eggplant...... Ummm, wow? And another 4 weeks inside? Crap. Wonder if that fertilizer helped blow up the leaves like this.

Bell peppers. No editing. As green as you can be. Very healthy. Loving the Miracle Potting soil

Tomatoes starting to look "jungleish".

Yesterday didn't pass 43°. This morning its 35°. My hands froze. Soil temp 42° this morning.

Working on 2nd Bed now. Raking all debris

(The White Board is my official snow measuring board. Yeah, its still out. lol)

Old 04-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Sunday April 8, 2018. Full sunshine mid afternoon and only 41° outside. Normal is 55°. Nuts. With the wind it feels like 30s.

It was time I transferred them. Seeds were started March 11th so about 4 weeks in that little cell.

I love Tomatoes cause you can plant them deep and roots will form from the stem. Might as well save height space, right? At this pace they'll be inside until July. LOL

Just add a little soil at the bottom

And fill er up

Roots from 3 different tomato plants. Not like they were root bound yet. Jiffy seed starting soil does well.

Lots of Cups! I was rushing too because they were all very thirsty. I gave them a nice drink after this.

Enjoy your new home for the next 5 weeks at least. Harden off process is 4 weeks away.

Bed #2. The Red Pavers are laid out. The tilling begins. Feels like its December out here today.. Hands are frozen

Old 04-08-2018, 01:07 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Looks great! All of it.

And it's freezing here too...feels like we're still waiting for Easter.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:48 AM

Saturday April 14, 2018 Update:: Windows and Doors Open this morning. All Birds are singing. I smell the soil in the garden! Finally some warm days.

Reached 75° yesterday. Soil temp finally over 52° this morning.

Lots of pics..

First.. I did a simple soil test.

Fill half jar with soil. Fill water close to the top. Shake well and let it sit.

If you go online check out the ridiculous amount of wrong and different info on how to read the soil in the jar.. Some mention the clay is on the bottom. Some don't even mention the silt.

The SAND will be on the bottom, Silt on top of the sand, Clay on top of silt. Organic Matter on top of that.

I find this sample from my garden fascinating! I was under the impression I had like 90% clay because it turns into cement when dry and doesn't drain deep. I guess after amending for 7 yrs I have changed the soil type???

They say to let the jar sit for days because the clay takes long to settle. Some clay particles will actually float in the water too.

You can tell the difference between Sand and Silt. Sand particles are larger. Silt is smaller.

Great Link Here to enter your numbers and see what kind of soil you have. I have Sandy Loam!?

I put Lettuce Spinach and Kale seeds in the bed.

Fennel too

3 More weeks. I been raising the lights every 3-5 days.

Sweet Peppers doing great!

Eggplants still doing great!

Hot Peppers doing awesome!

Even some budding on the hot pepper.

Tomatoes doing good

Old 04-14-2018, 07:10 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,068 times
^ Wow! Your plants look so healthy and beautiful! You’re really gonna have a bounty of produce this year!

Old 04-16-2018, 06:32 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,696,911 times
Your seedlings are getting huge, Cam!! I am sure you're excited to get them into the ground. I do believe you're going to have a very productive garden this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden