Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:48 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

How about a nightime photo this evening of my Garlic waiting for Spring? 6" of snow 2 days ago. Temps struggling past 30s yesterday and today

The scene here 2 days ago.

Spoiler

My backyard that night. No gardening yet.

Spoiler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 08:10 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Cam, impressive pics, especially given the fact that you have been walloped with snow lately

Old 03-09-2018, 08:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Cam, impressed with your early gardening pics, keep em’ coming.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:02 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
I love that garlic! Never phased, even once it comes up. In fact, I think it does better with late season cold and snow. I sort of regret not planting any for this season season, but I am really looking forward to planting lots of flowers where I normally grow my garlic. I will definitely be growing garlic for harvest in 2019, though!

Looks like our weather flip-flopped, Cam! You guys are getting nailed, we're not getting beautiful weather. 60s and 70s all next week.. maybe even flirting with our first 80.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Cam, impressive pics, especially given the fact that you have been walloped with snow lately
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I love that garlic! Never phased, even once it comes up. In fact, I think it does better with late season cold and snow. I sort of regret not planting any for this season season, but I am really looking forward to planting lots of flowers where I normally grow my garlic. I will definitely be growing garlic for harvest in 2019, though!

Looks like our weather flip-flopped, Cam! You guys are getting nailed, we're not getting beautiful weather. 60s and 70s all next week.. maybe even flirting with our first 80.

Thanks. Thanks. And guess what........ Another 4-6" coming Tuesday. LOL Last 5 yrs we only had 1 March with above normal temps and 4 of the 5 had above normal snowfall. Guess we'll make that 5 now.

Time to seed the Tomatoes today..

It's sometimes hard to seed and get into garden mode when it's still like Mid Winter outside. I got snow cover for 5 days in a row now. Yesterdays max temp stayed under 38°F

Old 03-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Snow is awesome pre-spring planting. It's the bitter cold I don't enjoy. When are you planning on getting your tomatoes into the ground, Cam? It's been a learning experience, but I am going to wait until at least April 15 to start my tomatoes. I started them in March a few seasons ago and the plants got huge and difficult to maintain. I somehow managed, but it was a fiasco. I'm not sure if you guys tend to have the extreme spring weather we do, though, so maybe you can plant earlier.

We had a record low of 19F in mid-May a few years ago, the coldest temp ever in May, so that learned me. Any time before the end of May is a gamble.

Have the trees starting budding in your area? Looking around my neck of the woods, I see lots of swelling, but no signs of green just yet. I would imagine we'll start seeing lots of budding this week with temps above normal and lots of sun. I looked at my records from last year, which got off to an extremely warm start, and trees were showing green already at this time. Honestly, it's fine by me if they wait a bit - I hate when everything gets ahead of itself and then Mother Nature decides to reiterate who's in charge. I always feel bad for the plants, though most perennials in our area can handle late frosts/freezes with relative ease.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
When are you planning on getting your tomatoes into the ground, Cam? It's been a learning experience, but I am going to wait until at least April 15 to start my tomatoes. I started them in March a few seasons ago and the plants got huge and difficult to maintain. I somehow managed, but it was a fiasco. I'm not sure if you guys tend to have the extreme spring weather we do, though, so maybe you can plant earlier.

Interesting to hear you are a month earlier than me. Nothing going in the ground until Mothers Day. Mid May. I cheat some years and plant early May if I know the pattern is a warm one. Even if I don't get a frost after mid April, the ground is still too cold to be planting anything. (except cool weather crops)

Quote:
Have the trees starting budding in your area? Looking around my neck of the woods, I see lots of swelling, but no signs of green just yet..

Typically budding starts end of March but we have a variety of native trees so some start sooner than others. I do see some red tint on some Maples and buds swelling but I agree that its not good when mother nature gets ahead of her self. We lost so many crops recently do to rapid growth than a late freeze. Southeast got hit hard last year.

Grass wanted to green up with all the moisture we been getting but its just not warm enough. So far March is colder & snowier than February was.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Speaking of Tomatoes... Seeded.. Nothing is in those 9 Top right cells. More Eggplants are in Top left cells.

Rapunzel: 9
Aces: 9
Homestead: 9
Brandy Boy Hybrid: 9
Steak Sandwich Hybrid: 9
Early Treat Hybrid: 9

Total 36

Old 03-11-2018, 01:22 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks! If I didnt read this forum Im not sure I would of done a garden this year. You all motivated me for sure. You havent started yet? Or just saying now you want to because you werent?

I canned peppers and didnt like the taste months later. I froze them and rarely find myself using it. What ai want to learn is making pepper flakes to sprinkle on pizza and food. I will do that and give some away. Maybe can them too since they do look pretty in the jar.

Sometimes its tough to know why they look sick. Your experience identified the possibility of being too wet. I would of suggested too hot, too dry, too windy, soil itself, or too close to the light or even just the seeds itself.. Glad they are better...

Some didnt come up so I am second guessing thinning to 1 per cell now. I might have to let them grow out and separate later.

Yes, I was thinking canning would not be good for peppers.....flash freezing, maybe??

I have some seeds ordered but for most vegetables must use transplants, as it's just me and plus, garden space is limited. Have been growing vegetables in pots, they all do surprisingly well, even zucchini and squash. Cukes and cherry tomatoes do the best. One year I had eggplant and of course lettuce and spinach from seed.

Keep up the excitement...will be planting snow peas this week...

Old 03-11-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Speaking of Tomatoes... Seeded.. Nothing is in those 9 Top right cells. More Eggplants are in Top left cells.

Rapunzel: 9
Aces: 9
Homestead: 9
Brandy Boy Hybrid: 9
Steak Sandwich Hybrid: 9
Early Treat Hybrid: 9

Total 36

Looks great, Cam (9x6 = 54, though )!! Will you plant this many in your garden? I am trying to make room for around 45, but I think with work and everything else going on, I may only get about 35 into the garden this season. We'll see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden