Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 03:34 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

I have good news and bad news... First... the good news...

I got Hot Peppers already! First time having peppers growing this early. They've only been outside for 2 weeks now and it was raining everyday to boot.

The bad news...

Tomatoes showing signs of something. Leaf curl and bottom branches look bad.

You think it's coincidental that the entire Maple tree died as well? Is my neighbor spraying chemicals to kill things? Is my soil turning into acid? Does the air have volcanic chemicals? (lol)

I may not have Tomatoes this yr. I'm not gonna pull out each one, I have nowhere else to put them. Lets see what happens. Stay Tuned

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 03:41 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Wow, good-looking peppers!

About maple trees...we had one in the front yard that was thriving, but eventually looked like yours. The tree guy told us it 'committed suicide.'

Their roots literally wrap around themselves and the tree strangles.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Wow, good-looking peppers!

About maple trees...we had one in the front yard that was thriving, but eventually looked like yours. The tree guy told us it 'committed suicide.'

Their roots literally wrap around themselves and the tree strangles.
What would cause the roots to do that? Its not like its a common thing around here...

Guess what I just realized... my Fig Tree is dead. Usually new buds start again in May. It has no sign of life. WTH is going on? Did the Polar Vortex finally kill it or are all these issues related?? Weird.

Im not complaining though. Less roots to deal with from the Maple and the Fig tree.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Did you wrap it before winter set in? If so, did you unwrap on a nice cloudy day? Or it may have drown from all that heavy, super wet snow we got this year.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:31 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
The tree guy didn't say why trees do that; just that they did. This was a fairly big, mature red maple.

Is it possible the fig's roots are still alive? Is there any green under the bark?

Old 05-27-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Did you wrap it before winter set in? If so, did you unwrap on a nice cloudy day? Or it may have drown from all that heavy, super wet snow we got this year.
Wrapping not necessary I found out. Out of 8yrs I had it, I wrapped it twice. We had worse winters and its survived unwrapped past 5yrs straight. Including the historic Feb 2015 cold and March 2015 snowpack. It always came back. Was pretty awesome. The house blocks the north winds so I attribute it to that. And It gets early southern exposure so warms up quicker.

Its something else that happened. Maybe because of the 6th coldest April on record its just slower to recover?

Dont forget, soil temps were still in the 40s last month.

In fact.. my moms Fig tree just outside NYC just started coming to life this week. She never wraps it either. So maybe it will take till June this yr for me? We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Is it possible the fig's roots are still alive? Is there any green under the bark?
No green under the branches but light green under the bark down at the base.

I wonder if the drought got to it.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:29 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Are you sure the maple is completely dead or just no leaves? Remeber things started to bud in February, could it have gotten damaged when it got cold again? I know, it's far-fetched

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 05-28-2018 at 06:00 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Are you sure the maple is completely dead or just no leaves? Remeber things started to bud in February, could it have gotten damaged when it got cold again? I know, it's far-fetched
Nahh, Everything is leafed out and alive out there. That Maple is dead. I don't mind, too close to house, too many roots and not really shading the home since its on the East side.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:26 AM

So........... How's my garden?

Maybe this will give you an idea..

May 12: Overcast morning and all day. Evening Rain. 0 Hours of sun
May 13: Overcast morning and all day. Mist & Drizzle. 0 Hours of sun
May 14: Overcast morning then sun 3-7pm. 4 Hours of sun
May 15: Overcast morning then in/out sun 12-4pm. 2 Hours of sun
May 16: Overcast morning and cloudy all day. Rain 11am & all day. 0 Hours of sun
May 17: Overcast morning and cloudy all day. Morning rain. 0 Hours of sun
May 18: Overcast morning, cloudy all day except for pokes of sun. 1 Hours of sun
May 19: Overcast morning and cloudy all day. Rain & Mist all day. 0 Hours of sun
May 20: Overcast morning then in/out sun 11-3pm. Pop up shower in afternoon. 2 Hours of sun
May 21: Sunny Morning and all day. 12 Hours of sun
May 22: Overcast morning and all day. Rain & Mist 1pm through evening. 0 Hours of sun
May 23: Overcast morning then sun 12-7pm. 7 Hours of sun.
May 24: Sunny morning and all day. 13 hours of sun.
May 25: Sunny morning and all day. 13 hours of sun.
May 26: Sunny morning then cloudy after 12pm. 5 hours of sun.
May 27: Overcast morning and all day. Morning rain, mist rest of day. 0 Hours of sun
May 28: Overcast morning and cloudy all day. 0 Hours of sun
May 29: Overcast morning then Sun and Haze after 10am. 8 Hours of sun
May 30: Overcast/Foggy Morning then sun after 11am. 7 Hours of Sun.
May 31: Overcast morning and all day then mist and rain after 1pm. 0 Hours of Sun.
June 1: Overcast/Foggy morning. Drizzle in morning.

Only 74 hours (3 days) of sun in last 492 hours (20.5 days)!

Everything is slow to grow! Another 1/4" of rain overnight. Not a ton of rain past month (3.05") but there's been lack of sun.

Clouds and Cold are a pain to crops. We need warming and sun.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:37 AM

Right after I sent that last post.. a downpour.. 0.15" of rain in 5 minutes.

Tomatoes have 3 good growing months left...that's if they survive. lol

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden