Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 02:33 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,388 times

Advertisements

I brought this potted rose bush to a closed in porch mid-October before first frost. I watered it last about 5 days ago and it was healthy and doing well indoors. Today it looks like this---leaves chewed and, most puzzling, woody stems chewed down. A couple of these stems are about 1/4 inch in diameter. The leaves I can attribute to some kind of insect, even though it's odd they should appear now, late December. But the stems???? We have a lot of rabbits in the summertime and this is what plants look like after a rabbit chews on them. I assure you there are no rabbits on this porch. Does anyone have any ideas what is chewing the leaves and stems? I am really puzzled. I've had this rose bush overwintering indoors for 3 winters now and this is the first time this has happened. As you can see only one stem with healthy leaves remain. (The plant to the right is a mint.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 02:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
If that damage was caused overnight, something four-legged with strong teeth is eating your plant. There are no other options.

To me, that looks like deer damage, but...

Maybe mice or other small rodent? Some dogs will eat plants, but I never heard of one eating roses. There's always a first time.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:50 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Deer will eat them too. But rabbits are the most likely culprit.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If that damage was caused overnight, something four-legged with strong teeth is eating your plant. There are no other options.

To me, that looks like deer damage, but...

Maybe mice or other small rodent? Some dogs will eat plants, but I never heard of one eating roses. There's always a first time.
No dogs here but have caught a couple of mice this winter. I thought the same thing you did--something four-legged with strong teeth. Also something that can navigate a plant with thorns. The container is about a foot tall and the stems rise another 12 inches or so. (Or did until chewed down.) It's indoors in an enclosed porch that is kept about 50 degrees in the wintertime. (It is currently 12 degrees outside.) There are no openings for rabbits to get in or out. What's more this rose bush sits outside all summer and has never been nibbled on by rabbits before as have so many other tasty plants they find in my garden every year to chew on in the summer months. This damage has been caused since the last watering 5 days ago. I guess I'll have to set some rodent traps out there and see what gets caught in them.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:42 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Deer will eat them too. But rabbits are the most likely culprit.
They were eaten too high for rabbits; that is definitely deer. Deer love roses and about everything else.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They were eaten too high for rabbits; that is definitely deer. Deer love roses and about everything else.

The roses are inside in an enclosed porch with the only door to the outside closed and locked. Plus there are half a dozen steps to go up to get to that door from the outside. I assure you, no deer have gotten inside my house. Whatever did this had to be some small animal and I have no idea what. I put out a mouse trap. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Several years ago when I was living in another house but one still elevated off the ground I came home one day late spring day to find three young, just-out-of-the-nest ducklings INSIDE my house with two more running around outside. I never did figure that one out either. Mama Duck was nowhere to be seen.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
The roses are inside in an enclosed porch with the only door to the outside closed and locked. Plus there are half a dozen steps to go up to get to that door from the outside. I assure you, no deer have gotten inside my house. Whatever did this had to be some small animal and I have no idea what. I put out a mouse trap. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Several years ago when I was living in another house but one still elevated off the ground I came home one day late spring day to find three young, just-out-of-the-nest ducklings INSIDE my house with two more running around outside. I never did figure that one out either. Mama Duck was nowhere to be seen.
In that case you might want to check out possible insects: What Is Eating My Rose Leaves & How to Kill It | Home Guides | SF Gate Let us know if you catch any small animals; I cannot think of one that would do that much defoliation.

Just because you catch a mouse does not mean that mice are responsible; but you never know maybe they evolved? I found this one link where some of the comments suspect voles: Mice ate 3 rose bushes! What to do now?.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:23 AM

I have both moles and voles in the yard in the summertime and they are a big pest during the warmer months. But right now there is 2 inches of snow on the ground and the temperature is 9 degrees this morning. What's more this end of the house is elevated a good 4 1/2 feet above the ground and steep concrete steps lead to the one door that opens to the inside of the closed-off porch. The container the rose bush is in is a metal container and all the damage is several inches above the soil line.

I have a suspicion that this will forever remain a mystery just as it is still a mystery how those young ducklings got inside my house one late spring day several years ago. Thanks to everyone who responded. Your comments are appreciated.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:04 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Whatever it was will likely come back for a second helping of your other plants. I think mice are the likely culprit. They can get in through very small spaces.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Put a couple mouse traps with peanut butter on them between the wall and the pot and I suspect your mystery will be solved within a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden