Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times

Advertisements

I'm getting the gardening bug very badly. Here in Colorado, we often have wonderful warm winter days in the 40s and 50s, which are perfect for gardening, and allows one to work outside quite often in the winter.

I usually wait until spring to clear most of the old growth on my plants I like the winter interest and have found the old growth helps keep the mulch around the plants-by mulch I mean leaves, pine needles, grass clippings, etc, which I constantly spread year round.

Today, I did clear a few beds however, which was nice. How about most of you, do you clear your perennial growth in the fall or the spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 08:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
This is the first year for me in this house and I didn't know what to do in the Fall. Clear or spread? So I spread pine needles all around the Iris, the new shrubs, the Peonies, and some other stuff. Now I am too anxious to get outside and I am clearing it away ! Am also moving Iris and getting rid of one whole bed. Thinking seriously of what I want to do in spring. The days are warmish here too, so why not?

Old 01-29-2018, 09:49 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
It was indeed a beautiful gardening day in AZ. I admit I was outside in the garden today too. I do my perennial growth trimming/pruning in early March, weather-permitting. Except the rose bushes, which is a January chore for sure. Frost is still a possibility, so I tend to wait until March to start other pruning, and the bougainvillea gets done last of all. My parents had a beautiful peony plant at the home where I grew up in Illinois -- I used to enjoy helping out and cutting it back every spring - wish I could grow one here, but it is too warm, and we do have other plants that work well down here in Phoenix.

It has been such a warm winter here that my bulbs are coming up. In January!!! It is way too early.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:41 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I have the fever too. I resisted the urge to rake off the dead daylilly leaves for just a bit longer, since we’ve had a very cold winter this year. I have pulled some weeds and sprayed a bit of roundup.
Here in GA, the last frost date is around St Patrick’s Day, so it won’t be long until it’s safe. It’s funny how, every time the sun comes out and the temp goes over 50, everyone is out in their yard pruning something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden