Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:39 AM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times

Advertisements

We had an unusual 2” snowfall last week, but yesterday it was 63 degrees. My spring fever started stirring. Last frost date here is around St Patrick’s Day.

I have a back corner in the yard that saw two failed dogwood trees last year. I just ordered a camellia from Springhill to try, so I’m looking forward to getting it in a month or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 AM

10,049 posts, read 6,331,774 times
Oh sure. I get catalogs hand over fist this time of year. I'll look at all of them for ideas and the pictures, but the only one I'll actually buy plants from is Wayside Gardens. I buy my seeds at the downtown farm and garden store because they have the best quality and give great advice, and because I get a 10% discount as a Master Gardener. I plan to do some raised vegetable beds this year as a sort of border across one part of my back lawn; it's convenient to the hose and gets great sun. A new adventure!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh sure. I get catalogs hand over fist this time of year. I'll look at all of them for ideas and the pictures, but the only one I'll actually buy plants from is Wayside Gardens. I buy my seeds at the downtown farm and garden store because they have the best quality and give great advice, and because I get a 10% discount as a Master Gardener. I plan to do some raised vegetable beds this year as a sort of border across one part of my back lawn; it's convenient to the hose and gets great sun. A new adventure!
Yes, I have gotten many great plants from Wayside, when i lived in Ohio. They are in CT, yes? I’ve noticed that they do not seem to have much for the southern garden, though, and I live in coastal GA now.

Here, there are no really awesome garden centers to shop locally. I get frustrated by the fact that nobody marks the plants well here. Since I want to know exactly what I’m buying, as far as mature size, and disease resistance, etc. I thought I’d try Springhill. The plant was inexpensive and their guarantee is good.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,354,285 times
I'm daydreaming about building two 16'x4' raised garden beds in my back yard, wife has been ordering seeds already, coming from all over the US, and we've been saving our cardboard egg trays for starting.

We have ~60 cloves of garlic already in the ground in the raised bed I put in last year to see if we'd take to gardening, glad for the cold weather as it helps with bulb size.

I'm also in GA, but at the western side of the state. Agree that no one locally is worth our money/business so we order 100% online (or buy from the random stranger at local markets if something catches her fancy).

Old 01-10-2018, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,309,828 times
I have been planning, first some pruning in a month or so, and grafting a bunch of different apples onto my Gravenstein. Despite on 6" snowfall and a week or so below 20F the potted Geraniums on the front porch are still alive and with a few blooms, rather amazing since normally they are dead and I pull them out by Thanksgiving.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have been planning, first some pruning in a month or so, and grafting a bunch of different apples onto my Gravenstein. Despite on 6" snowfall and a week or so below 20F the potted Geraniums on the front porch are still alive and with a few blooms, rather amazing since normally they are dead and I pull them out by Thanksgiving.
I had some geraniums winter over last year. We must have gotten a good hearty type.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,296,455 times
I'm jealous. I have no idea where/what state I will be in for growing season so I can't make any firm plans

Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM

3,191 posts, read 2,451,059 times
My seeds I bought from Territorial and Pinetree have arrived and seed potatoes from Maine Potato Lady are ordered. We built raised beds last year, 5’x10’ on landscape cloth as we were tired of weeding. I have a greenhouse so start seeds on a propagation mat to get a head start. I can wait.

We also put in several raised ornamental beds last summer so are anticipating all the plants blooming. Hellebores are beginning to show their blooms and the Dutch Iris are up about 4”. We can still get a winter here but so far it has been mild except for a few inches of snow three times.

Happy spring!!!!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 AM

83,325 posts, read 74,650,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We had an unusual 2” snowfall last week, but yesterday it was 63 degrees. My spring fever started stirring. Last frost date here is around St Patrick’s Day.

I have a back corner in the yard that saw two failed dogwood trees last year. I just ordered a camellia from Springhill to try, so I’m looking forward to getting it in a month or two.
Aside from the blizzard last week, we had 2 weeks straight staying below freezing here (a record for this area). But now that we're warming up this week I can't help but think about gardening again.

Already drawing out my layout and thinking about what seeds I need.

Pepper seeds get started indoors in 6 weeks. But we just got started with winter so we got a long way to go for anything outdoors. 6" snowpack on the ground right now. Hope it lasts until Spring so the soil will be nice and moist!

Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 PM

10,834 posts, read 7,224,770 times
I bought zucchini seeds yesterday because my existing plants are getting old.
I'm gonna miss my Hawaii greenhouse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden