Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:27 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
came home once and all my 6/one dollar comets that were now a couple of seasons ole and about 6 inches were massacred all over. More than 20 of them. It looked like the Blue Heron Mafia had hired out a hit. Dead fish on the rocks, in the yard floating. He got so sure of himself that he would land in the yard with me in it, that is until I turned the wiener dogs out! YIKE!
A nearby water garden supply house had some pairs shipped in from Japan for over $15k and the next day the fish were dead in the parking lot. They ended up putting fake herons beside the ponds and covered the ponds up with netting. Maybe I should tell them to find a weiner dog rescue society and adopt a couple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
came home once and all my 6/one dollar comets that were now a couple of seasons ole and about 6 inches were massacred all over. More than 20 of them. It looked like the Blue Heron Mafia had hired out a hit. Dead fish on the rocks, in the yard floating. He got so sure of himself that he would land in the yard with me in it, that is until I turned the wiener dogs out! YIKE!
That is terrible, I'm so sorry! I lost a couple of mine last fall to a heron, my first losses ever. I had to cover the pond with netting, our dogs and cats didn't scare the heron at all. The pond is next to our deck, too. They are fearless. Raccoons are bad too, but knock*on*wood, the raccoons haven't bothered our pond yet. I would love a weiner dog, though!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,764 times
I lost a couple of fish last year to a raccoon, but have had no trouble since I have put netting over the pond. I hold it down with good sized rocks and this seems to keep very one except the bees out. I've never had to deal with herons - at least not to my knowledge. Perhaps, I am too far inland in Charlotte.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:34 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Cool Tony, the bird, Heron !bada bing!

The Suspect!
Great Blue Heron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-19-2009, 01:19 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Quote:
They do it big in Alaska! Have you posted any pics? I am thinking hard about having a pond here. I had a large one in Oregon, tiny in your book. What do you do for it in the winter. I am zone 2/3 so frost heave would be a concern. BTW i often enjoy your photos. DH had me looking hard at Alaska before we came here. It is just as dang cold.
In the winter I unplug the cord to the pump and thats it. I leave the pump in the pond. I run it right up until the falls freeze. I've had no heave issues. I lined the bottom with plywood before placing the liner. Keeps the moose from punching holes with their hooves.
I'm going to try and put some small dolly varden or rainbow trout in it this year. I get lot's of water bugs and frogs so they have plenty to eat.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
In the winter I unplug the cord to the pump and thats it. I leave the pump in the pond. I run it right up until the falls freeze. I've had no heave issues. I lined the bottom with plywood before placing the liner. Keeps the moose from punching holes with their hooves.
I'm going to try and put some small dolly varden or rainbow trout in it this year. I get lot's of water bugs and frogs so they have plenty to eat.
Yes I loved your Moose prevention plywood. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 AM

6 posts, read 24,747 times
You mean a pond like this??
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone have a koi pond or water garden?-big_pond.jpg   Does anyone have a koi pond or water garden?-waterfall7_07_07.jpg   Does anyone have a koi pond or water garden?-primo_in_pond.jpg  

Old 05-02-2009, 06:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
We have just moved from Atlanta area to Carrboro/Chapel Hill N,.C. Our GA home is on the market and our adult daughter will live there until it sells. We were in the house 20 years and 17 years ago built (had professionally built) three koi ponds, two of which are connected with a stream bed. One was for plants and the other for Koi as koi will eat all your water plants. Our original 20 something koi have all survived all these 17 years. Why???Because my husband is an engineer and reads 33 books before he does anything! We joined the Atlanta Koi Society and went on every tour for 2 years. We learned more from talking to pond owners than any books will ever tell you. We built our ponds 4 feet deep and placed "hidey" rocks in the center and large overhanging rocks so heron and racoons could never reach them---and believe me they tried. Heron have such a sense of entitlement and don't scare away easily but we never lost a fish to predators. The first couple of years we paid outrageous maintenance costs and put in salt and medicine, etc. Then we just decided it was survival of the fittest. Every few years Bob would put on his waders and clean out filters, etc. examine pumps. We must have done something right.
Now I am sick about having to leave our beautiful babies behind. How do you move 2 ft long fish 400 miles? Can it even be done. We want to have a much smaller pond in our new house and can probably get it built before the old one sells.,
If anybody knows how to move large koi please let me know. They were so satisfying and so much educational fun for kids...I must have another koi pond but DH says they are too much work. I keep telling him technologies have changed since ours were installed and it doesn't have to be such a big deal. The water fall is the best part.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Just reading thru this thread. No Kudzu, Did you take your fish with you? I think they probably could be moved somehow, overnight shipping maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden