Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,214,588 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am just wondering that given the fact that least portions of the Midwest and East had a harsh winter(relative to what is average), I would like to know if your landscape plants suffered any winter damage related to the extreme cold many parts of the Midwest and East had earlier this year. Please feel free to to take note in the coming weeks/months and share if you’ve witnessed any plant injuries or losses from this winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:05 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Hello, I am just wondering that given the fact that least portions of the Midwest and East had a harsh winter(relative to what is average), I would like to know if your landscape plants suffered any winter damage related to the extreme cold many parts of the Midwest and East had earlier this year. Please feel free to to take note in the coming weeks/months and share if you’ve witnessed any plant injuries or losses from this winter
Yes. My Holly leaves burnt (froze) to a bronze and now dropping, as well as the berries shriveled and is non edible. The Robins don't have any berries to eat.

Whats crazy is that the 2 week stretch of impressive cold temps did it. Otherwise winter wasn't bad. I don't get it. Are holly trees becoming harder to have here? This is the 3rd time this happened in last 5 yrs.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yes. My Holly leaves burnt (froze) to a bronze and now dropping, as well as the berries shriveled and is non edible. The Robins don't have any berries to eat.

Whats crazy is that the 2 week stretch of impressive cold temps did it. Otherwise winter wasn't bad. I don't get it. Are holly trees becoming harder to have here? This is the 3rd time this happened in last 5 yrs.

During the 2 weeks of impressive cold temps were the skies overcast or snowy, or were they clear and sunny? If it was clear and sunny with deep freezing temperatures then the hollies may have been stricken by intense UV radiation which becomes magnified due to microscopic ice crystals in the atmosphere.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Global warming froze some distylium plants, but they are newish to the area (n. Alabama 7B) and not tested long term (however the variety I lost were supposedly good to 6B). Now we know. Surprisingly, I saw some Camellias that were healthy and blooming the other day - I usually think that we are too far north to grow camellias (however I know that there are cold-hardy varieties).

Old 03-02-2018, 04:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
...If it was clear and sunny with deep freezing temperatures then the hollies may have been stricken by intense UV radiation which becomes magnified due to microscopic ice crystals in the atmosphere...
Where's the source for that one?

Old 03-02-2018, 04:55 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Most of mine was dead ted.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Where's the source for that one?

You'll have to be more specific. Source for which one? Are you asking about UV burn or atmospheric ice crystals?

Old 03-03-2018, 12:40 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
It has been too dry and I lost some plants due to that and rabbits ate some to the point that they might die. Large established trees or bushes are ok.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:42 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
During the 2 weeks of impressive cold temps were the skies overcast or snowy, or were they clear and sunny? If it was clear and sunny with deep freezing temperatures then the hollies may have been stricken by intense UV radiation which becomes magnified due to microscopic ice crystals in the atmosphere.
More clear days than cloudy as usual with a strong Arctic blast but you need to factor in sun angle at certain latitudes. It's not the UV that kills the landscape in winter but I'd like to see if there's been studies on that.

Keep in mind my daytime temps went into the 20s and that wont burn the leaves. 4 of the 14 days did stay in the teens during the day. It was the frigid winds and nighttime temps mostly

And I don't think there are ice crystals when the air is bone dry. I could be wrong but many times the dewpoints aloft were super dry like -30C(-22F).

Take a look at my Holly 2015 picture on the left. A deep snowpack that winter preserved the holly tree on the bottom while getting burnt with the Feb 2015 Arctic consistency... Pure indication that the cold air + WINDS kills it, not the snow.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:26 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We had a very cold winter here in coastal GA. Some things are late to break dormancy, so there is still hope, but I think that my banana trees and an oleander might have bought the farm. Otherwise, all the other plants seem fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden