Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

Last year, the city cracked down on all growth that extended into the alley behind my rental home. As a result, all the trees, bushes, and other vegetation were cut down completely by the landscaper hired by my landlord. Total overkill, but what's done is done.

The back yard was very private before, and now I have a clear view of the house across the alley, and all privacy is gone. The house is an eyesore, with all kinds of junk in their backyard. Never could see it before, and I don't enjoy the sight now.

Being a rental, I don't want to spend money on bushes or trees, so am wondering if planting a row of sunflowers along the chain-link fence in back would work. I read reports that the root systems on these are difficult to remove at the end of growing season...any other plants that i could grow from seed that would grow tall and create a screen? I'd need the growth to be 6' at a minimum - higher is better.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
How high is the chain link fence? Will the landlord object if there are any plants tied up to it (i.e. sunflowers) for the growing season, or if you have staked up climbing vines (i.e. pole beans, scarlet runner beans, that kind of thing) close enough to touch it?

Old 03-18-2018, 10:03 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
I'd look at vines. There are annual vines that grow quickly enough that you could get some meaningful screening this year. Then you could also plant some slower-growing perennial vines. They are easy to keep trimmed without destroying how they look.

For an annual vine, I'd plant scarlet runner beans. Actually, planting both sunflowers and runner beans could wind up looking pretty spectacular. Mix in some of the taller cosmos, and you'd have a show-stopper.

I've never lived in a climate like Texas, so I have no educated opinion about which perennial vine you could plant. Any large seed distributor like Burpee or Thompson & Morgan will have a number of candidates.

You could also plant hollyhocks. They are perennial, fast and easy from seed, and grow as tall as sunflowers.

BTW, mixing several kinds of taller and/or vining, fast-growing plants will provide more screening more quickly than planting just one kind. Mix and match!

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-18-2018 at 10:19 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 10:55 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
If you want a few vegetables...mix in with annual or perennial vines, try climbing cucumbers, peas, beans as mentioned...sunflowers would work...get several varieties that grow different heights.

After summer, sunflowers and annuals will be history....try evergreen vines even ole ivy

Ask your landlord if he'd be willing to plant some evergreen shrubs...you never know, he might do it...

Old 03-18-2018, 11:39 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
How high is the chain link fence? Will the landlord object if there are any plants tied up to it (i.e. sunflowers) for the growing season, or if you have staked up climbing vines (i.e. pole beans, scarlet runner beans, that kind of thing) close enough to touch it?

Fence is about 4' high. There wouldn't be a problem tying anything to it, as long as I removed it when I moved. Whatever I grow has to be taller than the fence....the view over it is the problem.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Last year, the city cracked down on all growth that extended into the alley behind my rental home. As a result, all the trees, bushes, and other vegetation were cut down completely by the landscaper hired by my landlord. Total overkill, but what's done is done.

The back yard was very private before, and now I have a clear view of the house across the alley, and all privacy is gone. The house is an eyesore, with all kinds of junk in their backyard. Never could see it before, and I don't enjoy the sight now.

Being a rental, I don't want to spend money on bushes or trees, so am wondering if planting a row of sunflowers along the chain-link fence in back would work. I read reports that the root systems on these are difficult to remove at the end of growing season...any other plants that i could grow from seed that would grow tall and create a screen? I'd need the growth to be 6' at a minimum - higher is better.

Good that you checked on that as I had a similar problem and I just willy-nilly bought filler plants to grow next to a very old and dilapidated garage near my property. House went up for sale and sold so the first thing the new owners did was tear it down and built a lovely new garage.

It took me a couple of years to rid that area of those plants (they kept spreading) and I was finally able to replace them with white rocks and a bird bath.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:13 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
any other plants that i could grow from seed that would grow tall and create a screen? I'd need the growth to be 6' at a minimum - higher is better.

I know you said not to purchase but this site can give you ideas for privacy trees. then search for seeds or cuttings in your area.

Even just a fast growing hedge would work but keep in mind, you wont have privacy the first year. Maybe not even the second year. Not sure how long you plan on staying there but figure a few yrs before the eye sore is completely blocked out.

Look on craigslist. Sometimes people are willing to give they established shrubs away or for cheap. You might have to do the digging though.

Lastly.. take come cuttings of fast growing ever greens but again, don't expect privacy within 3-4 yrs if you're not buying established trees.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:39 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I agree with the beans, cucumbers, or any climbing annual. The sunflowers will help to block the view above 4 feet.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:49 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:

Bamboo??

Old 03-18-2018, 03:43 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
You can get a Duranta plant pretty cheap. It will grown 6 feet tall and at least 4 feet across in the summer. It might freeze in Dallas, but just cut it off and it will come back when it warms up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden