Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 07:10 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,514,608 times

Advertisements

When you pick a fresh head of lettuce and cut it open, what colour is the inner core? Am I wrong in thinking they are green right through?

I've never grown it but I think the ones we buy at the grocery store are old even in season. They are always yellow and I can't stand the yellow part. (I throw it in the compost)

When we were away on vacation this winter, I was tossing the yellow parts away and my brother said wait, I love that part! ??? I said "yuck, it's a sign of an older head of lettuce." He didn't think so. Right or wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 07:13 PM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
What variety of lettuce?

I was going to mention that heading lettuce is typically a cooler weather crop then noticed you were in Canada.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:15 PM

Just regular head lettuce. (Iceburg)

Old 03-23-2018, 01:00 AM

14,723 posts, read 14,885,577 times
Your brother is right. Those small yellow inner leaves are baby leaves, they are still growing. (I really like them too).

The inner core is white, the smaller inner baby leaves are yellow partly because they don't start to get any light until outer leaves are removed, the larger outer more mature leaves are green. If you were to strip off only the more mature outer green leaves as you need them and allow the small yellow leaves to remain on the inner core the babies will continue to grow bigger and will turn green. That's provided the lettuce plant is still growing out of the ground or if the cut stem/core is still long enough and thick enough to support them and provide the baby leaves with nutrition. When I buy a head of iceberg lettuce at the store I always look for a head that has a stem/core as long and thick as possible. Then the whole head will stay fresh longer and the inner yellow leaves will continue to develop, even when it is in a dark refridgerator. But they will stay yellow in the fridge because they need light to turn green.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:36 AM

Ok, thanks Zoisite. Hmm, I hate it when he's right lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden