Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 07:33 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,050,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Hydrangea and oak-leaf hydrangea. Next up, daylilies and crape myrtles. They're both budding.
I can’t wait for my crape myrtles! Love the scent they have. I have eight of them and it’s lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 11:38 PM

32,765 posts, read 35,979,500 times
The yellow Knock Out rose has a quite a few flowers. That's it until the hydrangea blooms.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:34 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,698,677 times
Torrential rains...if anything is blooming I can't see it....

Old 05-28-2018, 08:57 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,058,338 times
A big pink bush (don't know what it is, but my FIL planted it more than 30 years ago). My Old-fashioned Bleeding Hearts are almost gone, but it appears my Stella D'Oro day lilies are developing buds, and may bloom in the next week or two.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:18 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,378,908 times
Re: viburnum blooms - I see that I posted on May 11 that my viburnums were blooming, and they've been gone for about a week, so I think I got about two weeks of flowers until the storms got 'em. It's the rainy season in north Alabama. I've even had to mow a wet lawn (not recommended, but sometimes it's necessary).

One color (red) of day lily is blooming with more to come.

I haven't mentioned pots enough. I've got a pot with pentas (thriller), batface (cuphea) (filler), and potato vine (spiller) that looks nice. Batface is new to me and it has a small red flower. I've got another pot with gerbera daisy (thriller), some pretty red / yellow flower that I don't remember the name (filler), and potato vine (spiller).

I also had a new-to-me red oxalis (rubra?) volunteer in the yard. I usually get yellow oxalis (stricta?) so the red was unusual. I was tempted to let it be (I've mowed around volunteers before), but not this time although I did like the flowers.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:46 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,070,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Re: viburnum blooms - I see that I posted on May 11 that my viburnums were blooming, and they've been gone for about a week, so I think I got about two weeks of flowers until the storms got 'em. It's the rainy season in north Alabama. I've even had to mow a wet lawn (not recommended, but sometimes it's necessary).

One color (red) of day lily is blooming with more to come.

I haven't mentioned pots enough. I've got a pot with pentas (thriller), batface (cuphea) (filler), and potato vine (spiller) that looks nice. Batface is new to me and it has a small red flower. I've got another pot with gerbera daisy (thriller), some pretty red / yellow flower that I don't remember the name (filler), and potato vine (spiller).

I also had a new-to-me red oxalis (rubra?) volunteer in the yard. I usually get yellow oxalis (stricta?) so the red was unusual. I was tempted to let it be (I've mowed around volunteers before), but not this time although I did like the flowers.
I love all the different types of cuphea, and what a hummingbird magnet they are also. I usually plant out four hanging pots, and another half dozen in the front beds.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:21 PM
JRR

8,110 posts, read 5,562,328 times
Here in my yard, the creme brulee potentillas are blooming and the mango tango potentillas are just starting. The first purple coneflower is open with others on the way and even though it is only a foot tall, the bloomerang lilac has flower buds starting to open.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:26 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,211,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Here in my yard, the creme brulee potentillas are blooming and the mango tango potentillas are just starting. The first purple coneflower is open with others on the way and even though it is only a foot tall, the bloomerang lilac has flower buds starting to open.
How do you like your bloomerang? I've been intrigued, but don't know if I have a good spot with enough sun for it.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:45 AM
JRR

8,110 posts, read 5,562,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
How do you like your bloomerang? I've been intrigued, but don't know if I have a good spot with enough sun for it.
The jury is still out on this one as I just planted it about a month ago. It actually is so small that I didn't expect any blooms this year. Then I looked at it yesterday and noticed little flower buds on the tips of several of the small branches. It is in a nice sunny spot out front, so I have hopes for it, but you never know.
We lived in Florida for most of our lives and couldn't have lilacs so when we retired to Tennessee I figured I'd give this one a shot.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:06 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,378,908 times
Woohoo! My Natchez crape myrtles are blooming - the white blossoms are small and will probably get blown away today by Alberto's remnants, but they're here! No idea when my other crape myrtles will bloom.

Also, crinum lily with whitish, pink-tinged flowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden