Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,074 times

Advertisements

Perennials are slowly showing their green leaves through through the soil. Crocuses in second week of bloom. Some, Hyacinths, Tulips, other bulbs showing ground-level leaf sprout, as well as Phlox, Cardinal Flower, Roses, and Foxglove - no bud stalk.
Planted lettuce, Bell Pepper, Tomato, Basil, and 15-20 annual flower seeds, yesterday and today.
Planting earlier this year...it's a gamble. I'll plant other seeds through the end of April- May 15th.
Happy Gardening, Everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 12:14 PM

346 posts, read 550,803 times
My hyacinths are in full blooms. Sadly, 99% of my tulips are no show, probably gone for good. Shame.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:30 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
The snow drops are up and blooming.
My perennials are coming along and greening up.
The forsythia has budlets.

The daffies are up but not yet blooming. They were planted all around tge base of the house when we bought it, but we think we need to dig up and separate the bulbs so the actually bloom better. Ugh. There must be hundreds and hundreds of them.

The rose bush i bought at wally world is doing nice,just potted it temporarily until we can actually dig the ground.

The red raspberry bush i bought is also coming along that i bought at wally world. Just potted it too. Got more on order.

I soooo love spring!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
Hey Wonderland, My "Easter Lilies" that I have planted among my dayliliies never bloom here in south suburban Atlanta until June! They usually bloom alond with my traditional daylilis.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
Nothing is blooming. We're still covered in snow. The Robin's and blue birds are back, so that's my first signs of spring. In another 2-3 weeks maybe I'll see some daffodils making their way out of the ground.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
My hyacinths are in full blooms. Sadly, 99% of my tulips are no show, probably gone for good. Shame.
My tulips disappeared too. In their place, I found holes that some sort of animal had apparently dug. So I'm assuming the bulbs have been eaten. Weird.

I'm thinking squirrels did this. There are a lot of suspiciously fat squirrels around here.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 AM

346 posts, read 550,803 times
It's most likely squirrels. I've watched them dig up my tulip beds before. I've been told to plant new tulips with daffodils and the squirrels will avoid the area. Not sure how true that is but it's worth a try next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My tulips disappeared too. In their place, I found holes that some sort of animal had apparently dug. So I'm assuming the bulbs have been eaten. Weird.

I'm thinking squirrels did this. There are a lot of suspiciously fat squirrels around here.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:08 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I just looked at my post on this same thread a year ago. (actually 4 days from now will be an exact year.) This winter on the west coast has been very cold and rainy. So although the ornamental pear trees are finished blooming, and we have daffodils up, we are a few weeks behind on the blooming of my orange and kumquat trees. My fig trees are just starting to leaf out. There are buds on the blackberries and strawberries, but no blossoms. We are still cloudy and rainy this week. If we get a few days of sunshine and warmth next week, as the forecast shows, we might get more blossoms popping out. But then the forecast shows us lapsing back into rain and cold. Strange for April in California. We aren't complaining about the rain too much (or at least we are trying not to complain) because we know what devastation drought can bring. One good thing is that we are just at the beginning of a "super bloom" - the wild flowers will be magnificent this year!

Old 04-05-2019, 08:16 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Omg what is not blooming might be an easier question.

In bloom now are my
plums,
last of the peaches,
lemons,
oranges,
pineapple guava,
cherry guava,
pomegranate,
crabapple,
hollies,
Loropetalums
Redbud
some azaleas are just started blooming while the encores are on their second flush for the year;
Tibouchina blooms are just opening, so are the sunflowers, gardenias, alamanda, Asiatic lilies and daylilies.
cestrums, butterfly weed and Heathers are perpetually in bloom,
roses are still going strong,
the spirea are slowing down but were beautiful this year.
The bottle brush is covered in red
The mandevillas are beautiful so are the
honeysuckle
Lantana's
Ruella

There's more but that's all I can think of.
Still to come are the
Crepe myrtles,
Vitex
Gladiolus
Dahlias
Peonies
Four of clocks
Angel trumpets
Range of tropical hibiscus
Turks cap
Althea
Mallow hibiscus
Ixoras....

Old 04-05-2019, 08:48 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
We are just getting ready to bloom here. Had a few crocus open up this week. Daffodils are ready for the next sunny warm day to maybe start opening. Had just a single daffodil flower open this week that’s in a southern facing sunny spot. Grass is greening back up but still patchy. Everything else is just building up steam getting ready to explode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden