Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 09:45 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,626 times

Advertisements

Grew hibiscus for first time this summer and need some advice on bringing it indoors for the winter. It grew so beautifully that I want to keep it. My questions are about how do I do this so I also don't bring bugs inside? Will spraying the leaves and roots with soapy water keep the bugs from coming in? I plan to get a pot for it that is 1 to 2 inches wider. It is still blooming now, we are in the 70s still. Heard to bring them indoors when its 40 to 50 degrees daytime. Does that sound about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 12:13 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Where are you located? I used to do this for years, finally stopped when it got to be too much to bring the huge, heavy plant in so I gave it away. Yes, you have to rid it of bugs, mine was also so huge I had to cut 3' or so off the top to get it in the doorway. I don't think you should repot it not, it'll go into shock in addition to the shock of being inside (don't repot plants while they are in an active growing stage). Try to put it near a window where it will get sun, won't get direct heat (from a register), and be prepared for LOTS of dead leaves all over your floor until you take it back out in nice weather. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Where are you located? I used to do this for years, finally stopped when it got to be too much to bring the huge, heavy plant in so I gave it away. Yes, you have to rid it of bugs, mine was also so huge I had to cut 3' or so off the top to get it in the doorway. I don't think you should repot it not, it'll go into shock in addition to the shock of being inside (don't repot plants while they are in an active growing stage). Try to put it near a window where it will get sun, won't get direct heat (from a register), and be prepared for LOTS of dead leaves all over your floor until you take it back out in nice weather. Good luck.

We're in Illinois. Thought maybe when it was done blooming in the fall it would be safe to repot it (??). But if you think I shouldn't? Maybe I won't then. If I don't repot then I should only spray the leaves not the root ball? Thanks for the warning about the dead leaves!

Old 08-31-2019, 04:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I do this every year, and I spray it with Safer bug spray, then wait a day and rinse it. I also prune it significantly so it takes up less space, and give it a southern exposure window. The only problem is that it’s in a spare bedroom and I have to remember to water it and pick up the spent blooms.

Generally I wait until early October, when it gets to below 50f at night, though it can take down to about 32F and live, but will not be happy.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I do this every year, and I spray it with Safer bug spray, then wait a day and rinse it. I also prune it significantly so it takes up less space, and give it a southern exposure window. The only problem is that it’s in a spare bedroom and I have to remember to water it and pick up the spent blooms.

Generally I wait until early October, when it gets to below 50f at night, though it can take down to about 32F and live, but will not be happy.

You just do the leaves with the spray then, not the roots? Thinking about getting a grow light once I bring it indoors. I have patio doors that get good sun but I don't want the cat messing with the plant. The spot I got picked out for it is on top of the entertainment center but I may need a grow light for that. Appreciate the advice you gave, thanks

Old 08-31-2019, 06:02 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I've never had an issue w/"things" being around the root ball. You can actually water plants w/water and a small amount of dish liquid - won't kill the plant but will get rid of any bugs in the soil. Don't do a grow light - let it "hibernate" a bit. As the other person also stated, put it near a window, water occasionally and prepare for major leaf drop - it will bounce back once outside again next season. It must be pretty small if it would fit on top of an entertainment center (although it likely won't get any light at all there? Mine would grow to 8-9' every summer.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
You just do the leaves with the spray then, not the roots? Thinking about getting a grow light once I bring it indoors. I have patio doors that get good sun but I don't want the cat messing with the plant. The spot I got picked out for it is on top of the entertainment center but I may need a grow light for that. Appreciate the advice you gave, thanks
No, I don’t worry about the roots. After about 6 years now, I only once discovered a slug inside that had been in the soil. Since then the first day I sprinkle diatomaceous earth over the soil. It will get anything that crawls out in the next few days until it’s watered again.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:03 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
I go to Hidden Valley Hibiscus when I need plants or info on my hibiscus plants.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-01-2019, 04:17 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would use a systemic bug killer a week or two before bringing it in. Bayer 3 in 1 is what I use.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I've never had an issue w/"things" being around the root ball. You can actually water plants w/water and a small amount of dish liquid - won't kill the plant but will get rid of any bugs in the soil. Don't do a grow light - let it "hibernate" a bit. As the other person also stated, put it near a window, water occasionally and prepare for major leaf drop - it will bounce back once outside again next season. It must be pretty small if it would fit on top of an entertainment center (although it likely won't get any light at all there? Mine would grow to 8-9' every summer.

Flamingo, the one I have is called Cayman Hibiscus and I really love its big pink flowers. Its only about 21" tall from soil to top of leaves and about the same width. Wow yours is huge! Thank you for the tip about water with just a little dish liquid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden