Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:40 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

So....i have a decent sized backyard....but every year, the area around this large tree that i have just dries up and eventually turns into dirt. This year, all around the fence was dead grass or moss....so i just cleaned everything up and decided on putting down some new grass seeds.

My mistake: i went to costco, and bought organic plant soil.........put it down....spread it nicely....and put down expensive scott seed. i've been watering it for the past 5 or 6 days but not even a single sprout (granted, temps are in the high 40s and low 50s here in northern VA currently).

Then it occured to me that i'm an idiot and that i needed to put down top soil (or refined soil) instead.

Ughh....so upset with myself cause i put down 15 or so bags of this stuff...each at ~$10!!!

I just hope i at least get some grass growing in the next few days that temps will hit 75 or 80 consistently.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Your sorrow is premature. Even in May it takes most grass seeds 7-10 days to start germinating. You cannot expect them to pop in just 5-6 days. That soil mix is not a problem, though it probably cost more than what you could have gotten that would work as well. As long as you don't let the seeds dry out you can expect to see results in another few days.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Your sorrow is premature. Even in May it takes most grass seeds 7-10 days to start germinating. You cannot expect them to pop in just 5-6 days. That soil mix is not a problem, though it probably cost more than what you could have gotten that would work as well. As long as you don't let the seeds dry out you can expect to see results in another few days.
I hope you're right. I'm not worried about them not having had come out yet....I was concerned that because of the soil type, the growth would just never come.... (the soil has small/fine but consistent chunks of wood in there...)

Old 04-12-2018, 07:39 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Your problem is more likely that grass wants sunlight and you are trying to grow it in the shade. I would suggest putting in some kind of ground cover that will flourish in a shady area. The lawn grass will send some weak runners out, but you will not get a thick lawn type turf grass under a tree.

Please do not cut the tree down to enhance your lawn. The world needs trees more than it needs more turfgrass.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Your sorrow is premature. Even in May it takes most grass seeds 7-10 days to start germinating. You cannot expect them to pop in just 5-6 days..

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
(granted, temps are in the high 40s and low 50s here in northern VA currently).
What is your soil temp?

Cool season grass germinate best when air temps are between 60° and 75° degrees and some grass types take 10-14 days to germinate. They also need some water. but you been having highs in the 40s/50s past week and some 30s at night and expected to see germination this fast?

Glad you didn't rip everything up again because you thought it was the soil. It's been a cold spring in the East but next few days will finally get heat going...then back down next week. Here is DC temps this month. only 4 days above normal this month so far and those aren't fast grass germinating temps.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
OP, what type of Scott's grass seed did you sow? Note that the area in which you're planting will always have trouble because of the tree. Between the shade and the tree sucking up all the water, grass will have a hard time growing. If you have an irrigation system it will be easier.

Depending on what type of grass you planted (warm or cool season), it may be the wrong time to plant grass. See threads by 'movin2reston' for cool season grass advice.

Be patient.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:43 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Some of those seed mixes contain seeds that might require up to 30 days to sprout. Be patient, and keep moistening (not soaking) the seeds.

Typically the seeds won't begin to spout until soil temps are in the 60's and 70's, so you still might need to wait a bit.

Fall is the better planting season for cool season grass, but you can get it to grow now. It will just be tough to establish it before the summer dormancy when the heat really kicks in. As a result, you may have a die off this summer and need to reseed again. Fall is when you want to be aggressive and throw down a lot of seed. Soil doesn't really matter. Typically with bare dirt areas, I spread the seed and then rake it in and moisten.

Once you have established grass, I usually overseed and then forget about it. I never water it and it will usually sprout and grow on it's own.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:57 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
OP, relax my friend, you're a little early here. I'm in Leesburg, and I've used that stuff from Costco for my lawn in the past as well with no issues. If the grass doesn't come in, it won't be because of that soil you used. Something is always better than nothing.

If you really want it all to pop like crazy, not sure where in NoVa you are, but if out by me in Loudoun, call Loudoun Milling in Hamilton and go buy a few bags of soybean MEAL and alfalfa MEAL and spread it out on the lawn. Go thick with it. Water it in, let it stink up the place for a few days as it decays, and then watch what happens. I've done this for the past several years. Never once has it failed me. All organic, won't burn up the lawn, and man does it make a grass seed germinate and sprout faster than a fart in the wind.

You may also get it at Southern States in Manassas (sometimes, I'd call first before going).

Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I am in Southern De. and the weather has not been conducive to anything growing here other than weeds. Give it a chance.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
OP, relax my friend, you're a little early here. I'm in Leesburg, and I've used that stuff from Costco for my lawn in the past as well with no issues. If the grass doesn't come in, it won't be because of that soil you used. Something is always better than nothing.

If you really want it all to pop like crazy, not sure where in NoVa you are, but if out by me in Loudoun, call Loudoun Milling in Hamilton and go buy a few bags of soybean MEAL and alfalfa MEAL and spread it out on the lawn. Go thick with it. Water it in, let it stink up the place for a few days as it decays, and then watch what happens. I've done this for the past several years. Never once has it failed me. All organic, won't burn up the lawn, and man does it make a grass seed germinate and sprout faster than a fart in the wind.

You may also get it at Southern States in Manassas (sometimes, I'd call first before going).

haha
that's awesome. I will do that.
I'm in loudoun also...so like 20 minutes from leesburg :-)
I will call them up....do you think it's a good idea to put this on all my lawn or just the new areas?
i was thinking about feeding some good sh*t (No pun intended lol) to my entire lawn this year anyway; if this stuff you're talking about can be used on the whole lawn, i'd give it a shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden