Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a lawn where you live?
I have a lawn and take care of it myself 48 53.33%
I have a lawn but have someone else take care of it 13 14.44%
I have a lawn but its not mine 1 1.11%
I have a lawn and don't care about it other than mowing it 17 18.89%
I don't have a lawn 11 12.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:12 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,279 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have three! (side, front, and back) an acre and a half. I also admit that my super shady side and back yards do take a lot of "babying" and have to be reseeded with "deep shade" formula fescue yearly. That said, like dcfas, I enjoy the harmony I feel from having a well maintained lawn and the literal ton of flowering plants (mostly perennials) that I have planted through out the yard in "timed" precision, spring through fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
We've spent years getting our yard to a natural state that requires mowing only in the rainy season (Florida). We do not use chemicals and irrigation costs too much so gradually replaced the St. Augustine grass with combination of bahai grass and creeping sunshine mimosa plus a few native "weeds" that the butterflies and bees like.

Our neighbor across the street has a Home & Garden lush St. Augustine grass lawn with regular visits from turf-care people to kill weeds and critters. He also washes their 2 cars weekly (unlike me with a filthy car haha). The neighbor next to him replaced their grass with terraced levels of white stones and some plants in the stones. Looks great but in a couple of years the stones will mildew to a dirty gray and either need bleaching or replacing.

I think St. Augustine grass is very unnatural and detrimental to the planet in water-useage, insecticides and herbicides, as well as costing money to maintain. Groundcovers that work in your part of the world are a better idea. I'm getting beehives this year and a part of the yard will be native wildflowers and other bee-loved pollen and nectar plants.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:26 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
I'd hate to live near you ^^^ (or the neighbor with white stones in their yard).

St. Augustine grass is a plant native to the Gulf of Mexico coast, so "unnatural" is not quite the right word.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:59 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Poll Update: 72 Votes

39 (54%) have a lawn and take care of it themselves
12 (16%) have a lawn and don't care about it other than mowing it
11 (15%) have a lawn but have someone else take care of it
9 (12%) don't have a lawn
1 (1%) have a lawn but its not theirs

Old 04-22-2018, 01:15 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Our lawn is 2-3 acres. At that size you don't care about the weeds. Some of it's grass, but it's a lot of weeds. The back of our property is a flood plain that goes into a large creek. From an environmental perspective I would feel a bit guilty knowing that stuff one puts on their lawn would eventually wind up in the creek.

Our last house was on 3/4 of an acre. We had a service that used environmentally friendly/organic fertilizers, etc.

Not to be mean, but I chuckled when I saw ChemLawn at the neighbors house last spring. I'm sure trying to have a weed-free lawn isn't the best use of money in my neighborhood. Most of us take a similar hands off approach to our lawns. Those dandelions are going to blow right into the ChemLawn yard.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Our lawn is 2-3 acres. At that size you don't care about the weeds. Some of it's grass, but it's a lot of weeds. The back of our property is a flood plain that goes into a large creek. From an environmental perspective I would feel a bit guilty knowing that stuff one puts on their lawn would eventually wind up in the creek..
I'm glad there are people like you especially living near wetlands, creeks and rivers. Some people buy homes near there and just don't care and then the neighbors don't report them. 2-3 acres is a lot to maintain and I understand why there's more weeds than lawn but I wonder if you ever decided to make 1 acre of it weed free. Or maybe just not worth it?

Poll Update: 76 Votes. I noticed over 40 of us have a lawn and take care of it ourselves, but looking at the Who Posted in some threads in this forum not many are talking about it. Wonder if we need a general thread for it?

Old 05-12-2018, 06:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,094,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Poll Update: 76 Votes. I noticed over 40 of us have a lawn and take care of it ourselves, but looking at the Who Posted in some threads in this forum not many are talking about it. Wonder if we need a general thread for it?
Funny thing Cam., I never talk about my lawn. I guess it's because Mother Nature gets most of the credit. Living on Long Island, if you can't grow grass you might as well pack it in. For the most part my lawn gets an early application of pre-emergent, followed up a month later with weed and feed, and that's it. While I do have an irrigation system, I never have it on the timer. When the lawn looks a little pale around the gills I'll run each zone for roughly 20 min. each. The only other thing I do is mow twice a week to keep the lawn from being stressed by cutting too much off the top at once.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
My centipede lawn is about 2.5 acres, so it doesn’t get watered or fertilized, just what Mother Nature gives it. I do occasionally have to spot spray Atrazine when the Bahia grass and Doveweed starts getting out of hand, but that’s it.

I HATE Bahia grass with a passion.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Funny thing Cam., I never talk about my lawn. I guess it's because Mother Nature gets most of the credit. Living on Long Island, if you can't grow grass you might as well pack it in. For the most part my lawn gets an early application of pre-emergent, followed up a month later with weed and feed, and that's it. While I do have an irrigation system, I never have it on the timer. When the lawn looks a little pale around the gills I'll run each zone for roughly 20 min. each. The only other thing I do is mow twice a week to keep the lawn from being stressed by cutting too much off the top at once.
That would be under "I have a lawn and take care of it myself" Mother nature been good to us past 2 yrs. Once the drought comes back, it's tougher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My centipede lawn is about 2.5 acres, so it doesn’t get watered or fertilized, just what Mother Nature gives it. I do occasionally have to spot spray Atrazine when the Bahia grass and Doveweed starts getting out of hand, but that’s it.

I HATE Bahia grass with a passion.

Because you do spot spray and mow I would say that falls under "I have a lawn and take care of it myself". It's interesting hearing about grass from the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden