Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:59 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times

Advertisements

I have a Paperbark Maple that was planted about a year ago and the green leaves appeared about two weeks ago or do. I watered it several times in the last few weeks and all of a sudden the leaves are brown and shriveled. The earth here in Virginia is mostly clay do I’m guessing I overwatered it??

Not much I can do now except hope that it survives..

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-14-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 09:50 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I'm pretty sure you did, especially with clay soil. It's not hot and dry.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm pretty sure you did, especially with clay soil. It's not hot and dry.
I could have over watered it but when I called the nursery and spoke with the owner his first thought was that it got hit with frost when the buds were just starting to open. I’m hoping that’s what happened since it would recover quicker from that event than from having soaked roots. Temperatures this week will be approaching the 90’s.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:07 AM

718 posts, read 599,157 times
Soil Requirements of the Acer Griseum | Home Guides | SF Gate

Paperbark Maple - Monrovia - Paperbark Maple

These links may be helpful. I tell people often, you can kill a plant more likely by over-watering than under-watering and soil conditions are quite important to each specific plant/tree.

HTH.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:35 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Overwatering #1 killer of plants, then fertilizer burn, insects, diseases.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Overwatering #1 killer of plants, then fertilizer burn, insects, diseases.
It’s difficult to tell when it needs water so basically I’m going to wait until I see some signs that it needs to be watered, this might be the best ways?

I did have three pieces recently planted, two Oakland Holly’s and a Weeping Redbud. The nursery said to give them a gallon or two of water, twice a week if it does not rain. I’m guessing that would not be overwatering?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:29 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
It’s difficult to tell when it needs water so basically I’m going to wait until I see some signs that it needs to be watered, this might be the best ways?

I did have three pieces recently planted, two Oakland Holly’s and a Weeping Redbud. The nursery said to give them a gallon or two of water, twice a week if it does not rain. I’m guessing that would not be overwatering?
Take the guess work out of watering and pick up a moisture meter probe at one of your nurseries or garden centers. They cost about $7.00 and can save you a lot of headache and $$.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Take the guess work out of watering and pick up a moisture meter probe at one of your nurseries or garden centers. They cost about $7.00 and can save you a lot of headache and $$.
I would love to remove the guess work, but how? I have several meters that we use for indoor plants, one with the gauge and a 6 inch copper tube, use that outside at the base of the shrub/tree? I often dig a small hole to view the soil ( mostly all clay ) and it always seems to be damp.

Another way to test, from what I was able to read about was to push a small rod into the soil and if it goes down into the ground by hand, then the soil does not need to be watered.

Really hope my Paperbark Maple survives! It’s about a three inch caliper and it was expensive to purchase and have planted. I’m praying it will come back from the shock of either being over watered or being hit by frost. (Not sure as to the exact issue)

Rain is in the forecast for this weekend so that might add to the damage. Thanks for your comments they are greatly appreciated!

Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
I can't see the base of it in your picture. Have you mulched recently? Do you have mulch on it now? If so, pull it back to let the soil underneath start to dry out faster. The mulch will retain the moisture for much longer. Also, don't mulch too high on the base of the tree. Only mulch a thin layer on the main root at the top of the root ball. I see trees all the time that basically suffocate because the mulch is too high and thick around the base of the tree. Had a couple of mature laylands that had to be removed last year because of this. The previous owner just kept stacking mulch on it every spring for like 10 years. Base ended up being rotten and was a serious safety risk to the house.

You might want to buy a little Bayer tree feed and protect and sprinkle it around the base as well. It'll help keep the disease, fungus, and bugs away from it while also feeding it for about a year.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I can't see the base of it in your picture. Have you mulched recently? Do you have mulch on it now? If so, pull it back to let the soil underneath start to dry out faster. The mulch will retain the moisture for much longer. Also, don't mulch too high on the base of the tree. Only mulch a thin layer on the main root at the top of the root ball. I see trees all the time that basically suffocate because the mulch is too high and thick around the base of the tree. Had a couple of mature laylands that had to be removed last year because of this. The previous owner just kept stacking mulch on it every spring for like 10 years. Base ended up being rotten and was a serious safety risk to the house.

You might want to buy a little Bayer tree feed and protect and sprinkle it around the base as well. It'll help keep the disease, fungus, and bugs away from it while also feeding it for about a year.
Good point! The tree was mulched by the nursery and if I would have planted it ( I did not do to the guarantee)
I would have set it a few inches higher! I think you point about raking back the mulch for now is a valid point. Not sure about the Bayer but I will check into it.

Again, I’m guessing it’s over watered but don’t know for sure! The nursery said it could be from frost but my immediate concern is in keeping it alive. Would one overwatering kill it? Thanks for you comments.

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-14-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden