Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 01:55 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times

Advertisements

Note- Virginia creeper IS often confused with poison ivy/ poison oak BECAUSE, at least here in South Metro Atlanta in North central, Georgia, it USUALLY grows side by side with both poison ivy AND poison oak. Seems that all three prefer they same type of places. I fight ALL THREE in my wooded yard, and they ALWAYS grow together in patches. I agree with the above posters: GET RID OF IT WHILE YOU CAN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 AM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Multiple applications. Note I said gallons.
Understood (how many acres do you use "gallons" on?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Note- Virginia creeper IS often confused with poison ivy/ poison oak BECAUSE, at least here in South Metro Atlanta in North central, Georgia, it USUALLY grows side by side with both poison ivy AND poison oak. Seems that all three prefer they same type of places. I fight ALL THREE in my wooded yard, and they ALWAYS grow together in patches. I agree with the above posters: GET RID OF IT WHILE YOU CAN!
You may have missed that this is not a new incursion.
The vine is well established in this area, and I just moved here.
while I will be able to remove it from my personal space,
I cannot remove it from adjacent properties.

Barring the discovery of an herbicide that will only kill bad
stuff and leave good stuff, I expect this battle to outlive me.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't. It's as invasive as English Ivy and just as hard to get rid of.
The difference is that Virginia Creeper doesn’t engulf mature trees, nor does it form a carpet on the ground.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:28 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The difference is that Virginia Creeper doesn’t engulf mature trees, nor does it form a carpet on the ground.
It may not form a carpet on the ground but it can engulf mature trees. We have one property in town that has so much creeper in it (along with wisteria) that the owner has to either clean out the vines or cut down the tree, which is so top heavy it's threatening adjacent houses, huge oak at least 100 feet tall.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:03 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Get a goat.

I realize this is not a solution for most property owners but on our family place we put up some extra fencing and brought in Goats. The goats have cleaned out all the under Brush as high as they can reach. My sister has gotten in the goat raising business which is pretty good $$.

A good goat can keep all the scrub brush cleaned out, just have to keep them away from your good shrubs. They are becoming a popular tool and work saver.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:07 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Get a goat.

I realize this is not a solution for most property owners but on our family place we put up some extra fencing and brought in Goats. The goats have cleaned out all the under Brush as high as they can reach. My sister has gotten in the goat raising business which is pretty good $$.

A good goat can keep all the scrub brush cleaned out, just have to keep them away from your good shrubs. They are becoming a popular tool and work saver.
I had two, but unfortunately they started gnawing the bark off of the mature trees. Any exposed roots got gnawed as well.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,690 times
I insisted on planting Virginia Creeper near one of our trees because I thought the colors as shown in the catalogs were absolutely stunning.

Well, turns out it "creeps" just fine, and is pretty attractive in the summer. But if you're growing it in the shade, you get very little fall color. It was a big disappointment and we finally got rid of it.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
My first thought was "devil's club," which we dealt with in the Pacific Northwest, but when I looked it up, it's different.

At any rate, my experience in trying to get rid of invasive plants on 2 acres in WA, is that Round-Up is not worth the money. It's really expensive, and doesn't really work very well, so it's chemicals sprayed on your property that aren't worth it. Why poison the property and water for zero results, is what I deduced. I was trying to get rid of thistles on my property and it was a waste of money and time, and concern about my animals.

I'd suggest spending the same energy just constantly weed-wacking it down, so it can't photosynthesize. Same principle as Round-Up, but cheaper, and probably the same amount of energy spent. This is what I finally did to deal with the thistle and Scotch Broom on my property. Just kept wacking it down constantly.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:23 AM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'd suggest spending the same energy just constantly weed-wacking it down, so it can't photosynthesize. Same principle as Round-Up, but cheaper, and probably the same amount of energy spent. This is what I finally did to deal with the thistle and Scotch Broom on my property. Just kept wacking it down constantly.
While the environment in the Pacific NW is similar to here (except cooler and with less solar exposure) Thistle and Scotch Broom are substantially different plants with different weaknesses.

Make no mistake. I am all about Weed Whacking. I used to work on a job where I could cut over an acre a day with a weed whacker, so I am pretty good at it.

However:
Weed Whacking will have very little impact on the Virginia Creeper here, since it would still be able to photosynthesize off property and grow on property. I need something that will kill the rhizomes crossing the property line, to stop this thing. In the mean time, Atrazine, 2,4D and Roundup will make those rhizomes ineffective, if not dead.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:42 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
I insisted on planting Virginia Creeper near one of our trees because I thought the colors as shown in the catalogs were absolutely stunning.

Well, turns out it "creeps" just fine, and is pretty attractive in the summer. But if you're growing it in the shade, you get very little fall color. It was a big disappointment and we finally got rid of it.
it's not particularly colorful in the fall in my experience. in this part of the country (mid-atlantic region), the poison ivy is hands-down more colorful in the fall. go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden