Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:11 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Brings back memories, my grandmother had one of these she called a chinese lantern plant https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Qzsa4RpoNW-CLq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 12:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattaty25 View Post
Early in the spring I potted a few flowers...only I don't know what this is. Silly me for not putting the label in the pot. It has been like this for a month now, not growing or changing.
Attachment 199287
Can someone tell me what this could be?

I just wanted to add something more. If you want that plant to grow faster and healthy you need to repot it again because the way you have it planted now in a half-full pot is retarding the growth of the plant and it will only encourage the growth of destructive mold and fungus.

The pot needs to have a lot more soil in it, it should be filled up to about 1.5 - 2 inches below the rim of the pot (up to that indented line below the rim - that indented line is there as a guide-line for depth), and the plant should be planted raised higher up in the soil so the whole trunk of the plant is getting full light exposure and more air circulation on it and the roots can grow deeper down.

If all of your plants have been put into only half-full pots then they are not going to grow as well as they should and you will need to repot all of them raised up higher with more soil in the pots if you want them to survive.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:14 PM

187 posts, read 128,673 times
Thanks for all the replies. My mom said maple too when i showed her a picture. The pot didn't come with the plant..I dont even remember! Maybe it did...

I remember buying a lot of various potted flowers and flower seeds. I would never get a maple tree lol

I dont know anything about fertilizer...should i plant it in thr ground to give it more room? Perhaps then it'll sprout something?

I remember buying most of the seeds and flowers from walmart.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I just wanted to add something more. If you want that plant to grow faster and healthy you need to repot it again because the way you have it planted now in a half-full pot is retarding the growth of the plant and it will only encourage the growth of destructive mold and fungus.

The pot needs to have a lot more soil in it, it should be filled up to about 1.5 - 2 inches below the rim of the pot (up to that indented line below the rim - that indented line is there as a guide-line for depth), and the plant should be planted raised higher up in the soil so the whole trunk of the plant is getting full light exposure and more air circulation on it and the roots can grow deeper down.

If all of your plants have been put into only half-full pots then they are not going to grow as well as they should and you will need to repot all of them raised up higher with more soil in the pots if you want them to survive.

Thanks. The only other plants i have are tomato plants and more unknown plants which i assume are flowers...
Ok ill add more soil.
For my tomato plant, my mom told me to not put the whole thing in one pot..so I put 1 or two plants in desperate pots...

For the plant in the pic should I just stick it in the ground and see what happens and add fertilizer?

Old 06-25-2018, 06:01 PM

So I just added more soil and banana peels. I did this for all plants. We'll see what happens!

Old 06-25-2018, 06:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattaty25 View Post

........ For the plant in the pic should I just stick it in the ground and see what happens and add fertilizer?

Since at this stage it hasn't flowered yet and you don't know exactly for sure what it is (yet) I'd say no, don't plant it in the ground yet or you might really regret it later. I suggest you repot it higher up in the pot with more good, enriched potting soil and let it grow bigger in the pot until you have a 100% positive identification of what it is. Once it flowers in summer or early fall (post a picture of the flowers here to this thread as soon as it gets flowers on it) you will know exactly what it is then and what kind of growing conditions it needs, then you could decide if it's best to put it in the ground or to keep it in a pot permanently.

If and when you put it in the ground it will send a long tap root deep down into the ground and all the smaller roots coming from it will spread far out throughout the ground. If, in the long run, you discover it was a mistake to put the plant in the ground and you want to take it out without damaging it, it will be a lot harder to get it safely out of the ground than it would be to get it out of a pot because the roots will have grown spread out and deep down into the ground.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden