Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 07:40 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Well...I've got my first Patio harvest, and...meh. No acid, mushy, flavorless.

In contrast, the Celebrity is bursting with a bright, acid tomato flavor. (Can you tell I just had a 'mater sammich?)

I'm convinced now our first Patio plant was mislabeled. And Patio is going on my Embargo list.

I have had a few now off the Patio that were more highly flavored....but don't plan to use them again. Yes, tomato sandwiches call for the sweetest, most delicious...I've had one so far that was really good.

Buying from the vegetable stand until my larger tomatoes turn red...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 10:57 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
There's really no need to buy a special patio anything that I know of tomato. I have a gorgeous Goliath tomato growing in a planter now. Caged it in the container. Pruned to two stems bearing tomatoes and nipping buds on other suckers to allow more shade and burn some air born carbs. As for flavor, soil in the container can have an influence that may destroy the flavor from any tomato. The same variety grown in MO that were the cat's meow were awful in FL... No explanation except for soil difference. Bacon will improve a not so good tomato. I bought Cherokee Purple tomatoes for lunch sandwiches today that have not been tested yet for taste. Of 4 varieties purchased from a TN farm yesterday the Lemon Boy yellow was better than the German Pink. Today we test the Empire as well. For new containers I think I'm going to mix native sandstone soil with a potting mix and see how that affects flavor. Non of the tomatoes grown in straight potting mix last year had that robust home grown flavor out of several varieties.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Last year my potted cherry tomatoes were delicious, grown in bagged soil...will see what happens when I taste the Cherokees....as I said potted patio tomatoes mostly bland this year.

My close vegetable stand has great tomatoes but the seller never knows the name of the variety...he just sells produce from local farmers.

How would sandstone soil change the potting medium, what would it add?

Old 07-28-2018, 12:48 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Last year my potted cherry tomatoes were delicious, grown in bagged soil...will see what happens when I taste the Cherokees....as I said potted patio tomatoes mostly bland this year.

My close vegetable stand has great tomatoes but the seller never knows the name of the variety...he just sells produce from local farmers.

How would sandstone soil change the potting medium, what would it add?
There may or may not be minerals in it. Heavy black clay soil from the upper Midwest has produced the best tomatoes I've every tasted. If necessary mini van will haul.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 07-28-2018 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-28-2018, 12:54 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
My Celebrity tomato plant did well but next year I am getting buckets of regular soil from a friend's yard. Moving into an apartment with no access to real soil is a huge problem. And there isn't room to make very much compost to add to any soil either!

BTW, when I grew Black Cherry tomatoes, they did great. They're an heirloom variety. But this year I went back to the regular sized tomatoes for putting in sandwiches and on top of pizza.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I had a good crop in my 2 pots this year. About 3 qts of them. We’re they any better than buying a tub of mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes from Sam’s Club? Not really, and the cost was probably a wash.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had a good crop in my 2 pots this year. About 3 qts of them. We’re they any better than buying a tub of mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes from Sam’s Club? Not really, and the cost was probably a wash.

That's a good haul..
Hope they were good.

I try not to think of cost and remember how good homegrown tomatoes are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden