Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

Hello
I bought this darling little birdbath, for two reasons.
1. It's lighter than the concrete one I couldn't lift
2. I could lift this one.

Anyway, it is resin, and upon getting it home, it seems to me, that the wind will blow it over.

any creative ideas on what to do to keep it from blowing over?

thanks so much
Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hello
I bought this darling little birdbath, for two reasons.
1. It's lighter than the concrete one I couldn't lift
2. I could lift this one.

Anyway, it is resin, and upon getting it home, it seems to me, that the wind will blow it over.

any creative ideas on what to do to keep it from blowing over?

thanks so much
Creme
Take a wooden stake and drive it into the ground. Then set the base of your bird bath over the stake. If there is a big gap between the stake and the base; fill it in with crushed rock or dirt (the dirt could make the stake rot quicker). You could just fill the base, without the stake, and it would probably be stable.

PS Do not forget to empty and replace the water regularly in the new bath. Mosquito larva will quickly find the new breeding ground.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Take a wooden stake and drive it into the ground. Then set the base of your bird bath over the stake. If there is a big gap between the stake and the base; fill it in with crushed rock or dirt (the dirt could make the stake rot quicker). You could just fill the base, without the stake, and it would probably be stable.

PS Do not forget to empty and replace the water regularly in the new bath. Mosquito larva will quickly find the new breeding ground.
Thanks Fisheye, but the bottom of it, is closed
In other words, they poured the bottom of the pedestal closed, does that make sense?

Yes, promise to clean it every day....and keep the water shallow....I just can't figure how to secure it, so the wind doesn't blow it over.....I live in a valley, so the wind is constantly blowing.

any other ideas?

Oh and I forgot, I want to protect it, so the paint doesn't peel off, shall I spray it with some kind of UV protector?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:23 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Thanks Fisheye, but the bottom of it, is closed
In other words, they poured the bottom of the pedestal closed, does that make sense?

Yes, promise to clean it every day....and keep the water shallow....I just can't figure how to secure it, so the wind doesn't blow it over.....I live in a valley, so the wind is constantly blowing.

any other ideas?

Oh and I forgot, I want to protect it, so the paint doesn't peel off, shall I spray it with some kind of UV protector?
If the bottom is closed you could cut a hole in it with a hole saw (if you have one). If not and the top is open; then go back to my other suggestion of simply filling it with crushed rock so that it is heavy. They do the same with the plastic barriers on guard rails.

As far as paint; why not try one of the paints blended for plastics like: Sears.com.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If the bottom is closed you could cut a hole in it with a hole saw (if you have one). If not and the top is open; then go back to my other suggestion of simply filling it with crushed rock so that it is heavy. They do the same with the plastic barriers on guard rails.

As far as paint; why not try one of the paints blended for plastics like: Sears.com.
yanno what, the top twists off, I'll have to check to see if that is open, to put rocks in....
and thanks for the fusion idea...I'll look for it, I've heard those Krylon products are great.

Thanks a bunch

Old 05-25-2017, 12:53 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,764,588 times
Quote:
I'm assuming your talking about the outside of the bird bath. I would not spray the inside where the water goes with anything. It could be toxic to the birds.

Occasionally, I'll scrub my bird baths out with vinegar if they're looking dirty even though I change the water every day.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I'm assuming your talking about the outside of the bird bath. I would not spray the inside where the water goes with anything. It could be toxic to the birds.

Occasionally, I'll scrub my bird baths out with vinegar if they're looking dirty even though I change the water every day.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:09 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
also cat liter works in the pedestal to hold it down as well as maybe play sand also ...good luck .

Old 05-26-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
also cat liter works in the pedestal to hold it down as well as maybe play sand also ...good luck .
OHHHH, that is a great idea....thank you....

Old 05-26-2017, 04:58 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Place a nice looking cleaned rock in the center of it. It gives the birdbath a more natural look and birds like to use it as a perch while visiting the bath. The added weight will prevent the bath from blowing over and the rock can easily be removed when you want to remove t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden