Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 09:16 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So I am not much of a gardener, but would like to start! I think Lettuce might be a good start. Anyhow, I was wondering if I can grow lettuce in a pot? Also, can I start this late in the season (July Aug)? If not, what can I grow around this time of year in Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hi all,

So I am not much of a gardener, but would like to start! I think Lettuce might be a good start. Anyhow, I was wondering if I can grow lettuce in a pot? Also, can I start this late in the season (July Aug)? If not, what can I grow around this time of year in Colorado?
Yes you can grow it in pots. My question would be; what are you temps this time of year. Lettuce is a cool weather crop. So when the temp starts settling into the low seventies, you should be good to plant. Any warmer and the lettuce will bolt, and you will get nothing but seeds. No direct sunlight either. Try to plant for early sun from the east.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Yes you can grow it in pots. My question would be; what are you temps this time of year. Lettuce is a cool weather crop. So when the temp starts settling into the low seventies, you should be good to plant. Any warmer and the lettuce will bolt, and you will get nothing but seeds. No direct sunlight either. Try to plant for early sun from the east.
thank you! as of now, its 60s at night, 90s during the day; but in a shaded area, its about 70s. I am thinking of starting the seeds indoors until I see a growth; then transfer it to a pot by the shade

Old 07-22-2018, 10:18 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
It's not a perfect world. With every new plant I introduce to my yard starts out as an experiment. I learn from that as I watch it's growth.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:41 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
thank you! as of now, its 60s at night, 90s during the day; but in a shaded area, its about 70s. I am thinking of starting the seeds indoors until I see a growth; then transfer it to a pot by the shade
Lettuce may be happier sowed direct. Could you start it indoors in a larger pot so you don't have to transplant? Transplanting is always a shock, so good luck!

Old 07-22-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Lettuce may be happier sowed direct. Could you start it indoors in a larger pot so you don't have to transplant? Transplanting is always a shock, so good luck!

Thanks!! I guess for starters, I can just sow it in container/pots so I do not have to transplant then. Question is, should I grow it outside where the colorado sun is intense ( i can always add it by my deck where there is shade and mild sunlight

or grow it indoors with a grow light?

Old 07-22-2018, 02:50 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Thanks!! I guess for starters, I can just sow it in container/pots so I do not have to transplant then. Question is, should I grow it outside where the colorado sun is intense ( i can always add it by my deck where there is shade and mild sunlight

or grow it indoors with a grow light?
If you do start your lettuce indoors with the intent to move it out, make it gradual...a couple of hours outdoors at a shot, then increase the time.

I never grew lettuce from seed with a grow light, so I'm not sure. I've regrown stubs from supermarket lettuce in the winter; that's about all I've done.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:06 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Lettuce is what's known as a 'tender' crop, lots of direct sunlight is hard on it. What happens with too much sun is that the lettuce will have burned leaves, taste bitter and go to seed quickly. The red lettuces, romaines and buttercrunch varieties handle heat better.

You get a whole lot of lettuce seeds in one seed packet. If you wanted, you could try several different ways of growing them so you'll be able to expand your knowledge base of what works in your area.

Other good 'starter' vegetables are beans, radishes and beets. Those are generally pretty vigorous growers.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:41 PM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Lettuce grows fine in pots. Mostly it is a cool weather crop, but you could try a forgiving loose leaf like black seeded Simpson right now. It produces fast and seems to be heat tolerant. Lettuce is a fairly large plant. You won't get too many to fit into a pot unless the pot is huge. Dont sow too many seeds.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:24 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
I think that's too hot for lettuce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden