Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 08:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

In vitro and in vivo experiments show no chromosome abnormalities from Round-Up exposure. It's hard to imagine how it could cause cancer. They systematically blocked anyone with a scientific education from serving on the jury. It shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 09:51 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Age 74, I've been using it or its generic chemical equivalent since 1977.

Guess I'm doomed.
Lol, Some might be more susceptible than others. I'm 70, and had a bad reaction to it in the late 90's with long term burning in the cells of my arms, and legs. It's just something I have to live with. I'm 98% sure what caused it. Some people are better at riding themselves of toxins than others.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I've been using Round-up (Glyphosate) for nearly 50 years along with being exposed to some banned herbicides and yet to have any problems with those items.
Too many people are sue happy and blame everyone or everything else for their maladies.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:12 PM

The use of Roundup, and the development of Glyphosate resistant weeds, 14 of which are in the US. The following is from Harvard.

"Additionally, because many of the superweeds can still be killed by glyphosate if it is sprayed in higher doses, many farmers are spraying more glyphosate and other herbicides to combat the weeds. The attraction is that this is much less labor intensive than plowing and hand picking weeds out of the soil [9]. Consequently, a report drawing from US Department of Agriculture data on pesticide use estimated that an additional 383 million pounds of herbicides have been used than if Roundup Ready crops were never introduced [6]. This increased use of glyphosate heightens the likelihood of higher concentrations of the chemical running off into nearby ecosystems. At these elevated concentrations, glyphosate may be capable of causing environmental damage."

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/20...ops/Glyphosate

--------------------------------------------------------

Many food crops sprayed with weed killer before harvest.

"Glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup® herbicide, is recognized as the world’s most widely used weed killer. What is not so well known is that farmers also use glyphosate on crops such as wheat, oats, edible beans, and other crops right before harvest, raising concerns that the herbicide could get into food products"

Grim reaping: Many food crops sprayed with weed killer before harvest | The Organic & Non-GMO Report

-------------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-11-2018, 10:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I wonder what other chemicals he used regularly? Why is the glyphosate being singled out?

Here’s a true story, one of my Dad’s old friends used to run a landscaping company in Miami and he was around a lot of herbicides and fertilizers, and in 1994 he was diagnosed with leukemia and died very quickly. All these years since then we have believed it was the chemicals that caused the leukemia. After he died his wife moved back up north and remarried, and I just found out her current husband has also been diagnosed with leukemia, despite never being around many herbicide chemicals.

The fact is we just don’t know what causes many cancers. How many people with lymphoma have never used glyphosate? Maybe the glyphosate exposure is just a coincidence.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:59 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I wonder what other chemicals he used regularly? Why is the glyphosate being singled out?

Here’s a true story, one of my Dad’s old friends used to run a landscaping company in Miami and he was around a lot of herbicides and fertilizers, and in 1994 he was diagnosed with leukemia and died very quickly. All these years since then we have believed it was the chemicals that caused the leukemia. After he died his wife moved back up north and remarried, and I just found out her current husband has also been diagnosed with leukemia, despite never being around many herbicide chemicals.

The fact is we just don’t know what causes many cancers. How many people with lymphoma have never used glyphosate? Maybe the glyphosate exposure is just a coincidence.
You don't know that the current husband was never around the chemicals.

I have neighbors on three sides that use pesticides and herbicides regularly. I have no doubt that I get some exposure to the chemicals that they use just simply by being next to them despite not using any myself. I have one miserable neighbor that also purposely sprays over onto my property even though I have told her not to multiple times.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
People can deny it all they want but we have always heard that these poisons probably cause cancer. I lived in an apartment complex back in the 1970s that stopped using junk like this on the lawns because the people didn't want their kids exposed to it. They said they'd rather have the dandelions.

True, it cannot be proven that this guy got cancer from Roundup. But he probably did. If nothing else, let this serve as a wake up call to people. If you want to wait until it is finally PROVEN, you may be waiting a long time. Who pays for most of the studies, after all? Monsanto is rich. You usually don't hear about the people who got cancer from their products because no one is absolutely sure that was the cause. It sure doesn't help along with everything else we're exposed to.

I'd much rather not have any of this junk on my food. I'd rather not have to walk my dog and worry about him stepping in some grass that's been poisoned. It's unbelievable how so many people want to just look the other way and laugh it off. "Everything causes cancer, hahahahah." It's best to reduce your risks.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
People can deny it all they want but we have always heard that these poisons probably cause cancer. I lived in an apartment complex back in the 1970s that stopped using junk like this on the lawns because the people didn't want their kids exposed to it. They said they'd rather have the dandelions.

True, it cannot be proven that this guy got cancer from Roundup. But he probably did. If nothing else, let this serve as a wake up call to people. If you want to wait until it is finally PROVEN, you may be waiting a long time. Who pays for most of the studies, after all? Monsanto is rich. You usually don't hear about the people who got cancer from their products because no one is absolutely sure that was the cause. It sure doesn't help along with everything else we're exposed to.

I'd much rather not have any of this junk on my food. I'd rather not have to walk my dog and worry about him stepping in some grass that's been poisoned. It's unbelievable how so many people want to just look the other way and laugh it off. "Everything causes cancer, hahahahah." It's best to reduce your risks.
^^^^^ Yes, what you said. Thank you.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:33 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
…. if it poisons the plant, it will poison you ...

False.

RoundUp works by immobilizing an enzyme system involving amino acid synthesis that is found in green plants and not found in animals.

Several meta-analyses of the extant research literature consistently conclude that there is no credible evidence that RoundUp is associated with any cancer- either in general or with specific cancers. One example: expert reaction to glyphosate and cancer | Science Media Centre

The groundskeeper plaintiff in this lawsuit developed lymphoma, a common malignancy, at the age often seen in lymphoma cases. He claimed he used the stuff in windy conditions- the product directions told him not to do that- and he claims a hose broke and he was covered with the chemical once-- is Monsanto to be blamed for the poor maintenance of his equipment?

This case was typical of a sympathetic plaintiff & unscrupulous lawyer teaming to inappropriately influence a jury not equipped to make a decision involving highly technical evidence.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:00 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
False.

RoundUp works by immobilizing an enzyme system involving amino acid synthesis that is found in green plants and not found in animals.

Several meta-analyses of the extant research literature consistently conclude that there is no credible evidence that RoundUp is associated with any cancer- either in general or with specific cancers. One example: expert reaction to glyphosate and cancer | Science Media Centre

The groundskeeper plaintiff in this lawsuit developed lymphoma, a common malignancy, at the age often seen in lymphoma cases. He claimed he used the stuff in windy conditions- the product directions told him not to do that- and he claims a hose broke and he was covered with the chemical once-- is Monsanto to be blamed for the poor maintenance of his equipment?

This case was typical of a sympathetic plaintiff & unscrupulous lawyer teaming to inappropriately influence a jury not equipped to make a decision involving highly technical evidence.

Perhaps it was; but is it possible it opened the floodgates? The settlement was sizable and many will try to jump on the coattails of this one victim. With the California Proposition 65 waring on the back of the product: "WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm" it will be easy to turn to the courts (especially if you need pocket change or you truly believe your cancer came from the use of this product). Just look at this link if you do not believe me:https://www.onderlaw.com/products-li...r-warning.aspx. There is a live legal aid just waiting to listen to your problems with Roundup.

The true problem with the product started with the California Proposition 65. So it is not just erasing jury error in this one case. The company has to reverse this decision and then Proposition 65. By the time that could happen they would be buried in legal paperwork and law suits. I just think it is too late to argue bad science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden