Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,871,772 times

Advertisements

In the last 10 years I have cut way back but early in my gardening life I used a bunch of the stuff. Scary stuff. Wish salt and vinegar worked but it just kills top growth.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...johnson-ruling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 09:15 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,420,896 times
I just bought some to use on my paver patio. The weeds are taking over in between the pavers.

Now I'm having second thoughts.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:22 AM

26,647 posts, read 28,511,202 times
I don't use pesticides because if it poisons the plant, it will poison you too. I think most people know, at least deep down inside, that these things cause cancer, but some people just go ahead and use them anyway. There are even people who just laugh and make light of it as if the rest of us are just "sissies."

However, I did buy Round Up for poison ivy once. The vine was coming up between the cracks in the deck and I couldn't figure out a way to stop it. My dag walked there and would have brushed against it, then when I touched the dog, I probably would have gotten poison ivy. I had to get rid of it. It only took one little treatment.

There has to be another way of beating poison ivy. As for the rest of the uses, like killing weeds, what did people do before Monsanto came along with all its lucrative poisons?

Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,015,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't use pesticides because if it poisons the plant, it will poison you too. I think most people know, at least deep down inside, that these things cause cancer, but some people just go ahead and use them anyway. There are even people who just laugh and make light of it as if the rest of us are just "sissies."

However, I did buy Round Up for poison ivy once. The vine was coming up between the cracks in the deck and I couldn't figure out a way to stop it. My dag walked there and would have brushed against it, then when I touched the dog, I probably would have gotten poison ivy. I had to get rid of it. It only took one little treatment.

There has to be another way of beating poison ivy. As for the rest of the uses, like killing weeds, what did people do before Monsanto came along with all its lucrative poisons?

A weed eater does a pretty good job at removing weeds. It will not take out the roots; but most plants die after many failed attempts. The only problem with the weed eaters for poison ivy is that they throw bits and pieces all over the place and, if you break out easily from contact or smoke, the weed eater would not be the tool for the job.

At least Bayer bought Monsanto, so if you have a headache from the cancer; maybe they will give you free pills? I would bet somebody at Bayer is getting a royal butt chewing. It wasn't too long after the accusation they had another problem with another herbicide (dicamba): https://www.motherjones.com/food/201...gest-headache/.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:44 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,013,996 times
i use it on poison ivy, as it's the only thing that works, but i pull or dig up just about everything else. Occassionly, something really stubborn or big.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:08 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,974,278 times
The jury were not scientists. Monsanto will appeal, and rightly so.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:49 PM

17,284 posts, read 11,142,393 times
The problem is that almost anything and everything is accused of causing cancer by scientists including smog to over cooked steak. The person in the lawsuit was a groundskeeper at a school district. He was exposed to Roundup almost every day for many years. How many of us use Roundup once or twice a year and even then in very small areas? Who's to say if he had been a clerk in a dept store, he wouldn't have gotten cancer just the same?
There are just too many variables with millions of people developing cancer to say this did it or that did it.

Last edited by marino760; 08-11-2018 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 02:22 PM

10,303 posts, read 10,550,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The problem is that almost anything and everything is accused of causing cancer by scientists including smog to over cooked steak. The person in the lawsuit was a groundskeeper at a school district. He was exposed to Roundup almost every day for many years. How many of us use Roundup once or twice a year and even then in very small areas? Who's to say if he had been a clerk in a dept store, he wouldn't have gotten cancer just the same?
There are just too many variables with millions of people developing cancer to say this did it or that did it.
He was exposed to Roundup a lot but not "almost every day for many years."

Some quotes I have seen:

Quote:
Johnson, a former pest control manager for a California school system, applied the weedkiller as many as 30 times per year.
Quote:
He sprayed large quantities from a 50-gallon tank attached to a truck, and during gusty winds, the product would cover his face, said Brent Wisner, one of his attorneys. Once, when a hose broke, the weed killer soaked his entire body.
Quote:
Johnson, 46, of Vallejo, was a groundskeeper and pest-control manager for the Benicia Unified School District from 2012 until May 2016. He was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in October 2014...

Old 08-11-2018, 02:35 PM

643 posts, read 326,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
He was exposed to Roundup a lot but not "almost every day for many years."

Some quotes I have seen:
Only a fool would be spraying on a windy day !

I'm a retired farmer who did a lot of spraying of herbicides in my younger farming days.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:09 PM

432 posts, read 356,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't use pesticides because if it poisons the plant, it will poison you too.
Plants have a very different biochemistry from mammals. I'm not weighing in on specific cancer risk from Roundup, but your initial statement reveals a knee-jerk judgement that honestly negates anything else you might say on the matter.

Think of all the medical trials where a drug created an effect on the animals, but didn't work or had a different effect with humans in later trials. Now think how very much more different plants are from humans than humans are from rats and monkeys.
Not meaning to be insulting, of course I say off-the-cuff stuff too. I would just respectfully invite you to reexamine your assumptions before you give them away as scientific or medical advice....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden